¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
3/3/15 6:28 p.m.

I'm looking into buying a vehicle from NH (I'm in PA). NH doesn't issue titles for vehicles built pre-1999, and as far as I know, PA is not in the business of issuing titles to vehicles which don't have them. What am I supposed to do here? Just not buy a car from NH? Use some sort of titling agency?

FWIW, this vehicle also will not pass an "enhanced inspection" because Race Car, but needs to be registered, because Rally Car.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
3/3/15 6:49 p.m.

I have to admit..this is one of the reasons I'm glad I live in the Southern US. Most states here don't treat cars as "..the second-most expensive investment you'll make..". especially if the thing is older. They're treated like appliances, instead of like real estate.

Good luck, dude.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
3/3/15 7:00 p.m.

Check with Pa MV. You should be able to get a title with a bill of sale and registration from NH.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/15 7:01 p.m.
  1. Contact NH DMV and explain what you are doing, they may issue one (for a fee) provided you prove ownership etc.

2. Contact PA DMV and tell them you are buying a car out from a state that does not issue titles. They should have a procedure for this. You will probably need bill of sale and get some sort of police inspection to verify it's not stolen etc.

3. Hopefully that gets you legal, documented ownership. Now we have to get you on the road.

Do your registration/inspection before your race car mods. Ask other rally folks in the state how they do it after mods.

I'd rather the state always issue titles regardless of year. Helps prove ownership and makes transfer of cars easier. The real issue seems to be states not all doing the same thing, regardless of what it may be.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/3/15 7:03 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I have to admit..this is one of the reasons I'm glad I live in the Southern US. Most states here don't treat cars as "..the second-most expensive investment you'll make..". especially if the thing is older. They're treated like appliances, instead of like real estate. Good luck, dude.

I thought Southern states were the home of really really high registration fees, like 10% of the car's stated value every year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
3/3/15 7:12 p.m.

Well, that solved itself quickly- as is becoming the norm for me, pictures of the cage have effectively ruled the car out of my search.

There are few things more disappointing than a half-assed cage in an otherwise exciting potential race car purchase.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
3/4/15 7:06 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

IIRC, I believe its ~7% down here in SC. But dont quote me on that though.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/4/15 7:10 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I have to admit..this is one of the reasons I'm glad I live in the Southern US. Most states here don't treat cars as "..the second-most expensive investment you'll make..". especially if the thing is older. They're treated like appliances, instead of like real estate. Good luck, dude.

not all southern states are this enlightened … in NC, I've had titles for every car I've owned dating all the way back to the mid-60's

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/4/15 7:53 a.m.
BeardedJag wrote: In reply to Knurled: IIRC, I believe its ~7% down here in SC. But dont quote me on that though.

Registation fees aren't too bad. But you will pay a property tax each year based on the "stated value" the county sets. I don't know what rate that is, but I've heard of a lot of cars that have a $300 tax bill. If you live in the city, I think they have a tax too. It goes down over time. Our county also bestowed us with a $25 road fee per vehicle. The road fee is higher that the taxes on two of my vehicles. The state charges sales tax at purchase, but right now is capped at $300.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/15 8:30 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

that kills a bunch of potential toys for me. What sort of caged toy are you looking for? I have leads on a few.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
3/4/15 8:48 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

RWD, cheap, and has either an RA/NASA legal cage or one that needs additions to be legal (i.e. 1.75"x.095" DOM tubing for all main elements). Basically, I'm trying to avoid having to buy a tubing bender

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
3/5/15 1:32 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I thought Southern states were the home of really really high registration fees, like 10% of the car's stated value every year.

Yes, that's often true..but mostly for newer cars. With old crocks, at least you can still get a title with something as silly as a 'bill of sale'. For rally purposes, it's much easier to get the "street title" you need to do the transit stages. I'll pay the registration costs and just rack it up on the racing budget. At least I can take the car out on the road, instead of having it sit there. When I hear about what y'all that have the 'salvage titles' go through to do the same, I'm glad I live down here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
waOpPP5e3zt8GdOpuhGr6I2vZD2T4X6TdRHHDZROYhQFLJDpXi5LzeYDIoKriVJ0