1 2
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/12/18 7:29 p.m.

I'm doing a trackday at Grattan in July (7th specifically with 3ballsracing).  I'm excited but don't know alot about the track and area.  I specifically am wondering about camping/lodging.  Their website is less then helpful about the details around the camping.  I'd like to not have the car get stolen at random central Michigan hotel on Friday night.

The track looks amazingly fun and I've wanted to Branch out to a few more tracks in the Midwest.  Will be running the Midget.  It's an HPDE so fun is the name of the game but any track pointers are appreciated.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/18 8:10 p.m.

Camping is usually $25 IIRC. The facilities are basic and cleanish. Bring bug spray as there is marsh and ponds around.  

Americinn in Greenville is our "home" hotel for the RSR PCA event (this weekend, btw), and I have no worries about car safety. 

The track is pretty much my favorite track I have ever raced at. No turn has a typical line, everything is a compromise or adjusted line. Take your time and watch some videos. 

Turn 1 (right) is faster than it looks. The car gets light mid corner but the track is uphill on exit and catches you. Turn in is just after the access road on the left.

Turn 2 (right) is a earlier apex than would first appear. Apex is at the top of or just after the mid corner drop.

Turn 3 (left) is blind downhill off camber. There are trees way across the track up on the hill that you line up with. Do it right you're about 1/3 the way off the left side of the track. The corner is more off camber on the outside. Exit mid track for entry for turn 4. (right)

Use all the exit for turn 4. The car will be light mid corner.

JUMP!  In a midget you'll probably be flat over it and brake lightly on landing. Turn 5 (right) is faster than you think and you can brake hard on the entry for 6 (left).

Turn 6 is somewhat of a throw away turn. You can get to full throttle at or before apex then back on the brakes for 7.

Turn 7 is steeply up hill on entry and severely off camber on exit. Stay right on exit.

Turn 8 - Toilet bowl!  Steeply banked. Use all the track on exit. 

Turn 9. Straight to mid track out of 8, then turn in. Apex is just after the crest. There is a hump on the left half of the track between 9 and 10 that can upset the car and it is pretty much corner exit for 9. 

Turn 10 has two entry lines. Stay wide and trail brake in or straight line and hard brake all the way to the edge of the track.  Apex is at the crest of the drop mid turn. 

Turn 11 is blind entry. Look up. There is a tree that gets big, gets small, then gets big again. When it starts growing, that is approximately the turn in point for 11. The apex is sunken and most cars land hard at the apex. DON"T DROP THE INSIDE WHEELS.  

From 10 - 12 on to the front straight I am flat in a Miata. Use all the exit on turn 12. Most people leave at least a car width on exit and don't get all the speed on the straight.

From the exit of 12, I line the right side of my car up with the blend line and it leads me right to the brake zone of 1.

If it rains, stay off the shiny stuff.  You'll look drunk, but you'll have traction.

Well, this ended up longer than I expected. Hope it helps!

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/12/18 8:19 p.m.

Quiet to camp there, showers available. 

Last September though, there was no potable water on site. I don’t know if that’s been addressed since or not. 

A video of one of my better laps there.  I may not be particular fast but I’m having a hell of a lot of fun  

PMRacing
6/12/18 8:22 p.m.

That video doesn't do the elevation change justice.  

Karacticus
6/12/18 8:27 p.m.
PMRacing said:

It most certainly does not. 

Went there with a coworker last year who had never driven a track that had any elevation changes of any significance.  He had seen the video many times, but had no idea. 

“I can’t see anything but sky while I’m heading uphill!”

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/12/18 8:47 p.m.

I've been to Grattan a couple of times, and it's an absolute ball. Fast, flowing, and challenging. It's in the middle of farmland, not a lot of civilization in the area, so I would imagine camping on site is the only option vs. finding a hotel in a nearby town. I live close enough that I don't spend the night, though.

I can't wait to get back there, if I ever get this damn 944 done.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/13/18 5:49 a.m.

Not my best but a lot of fun, videos just don't do it justice.  I have since taken a few second off my lap times with no changes to the car and older tires. 

Experience counts on this track, don't worry if you feel lost for your first session.  By the end of the day you will just want more.  Speaking of the end of the day, don't leave early on Sunday.  Most people bug out and the last part of the day is open to all who are left.  Last time I visited with 3balls it was just me a Ferrari and a Miata at the end.

I'll be at my cabin on the 7th, I would join you If I wasn't.  I'm about 20 minutes from the track, you can just camp in my driveway.  Anything you could ever need is walking distance from the house and there is a garage with lift out back.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/13/18 5:54 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

I like this description, you must have been there in the last couple of years as you left out the dip that used to be at 12.  That dip set me up for a high speed drift down the front straight once, the video is bad (low res) but my holler in delight is priceless.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
6/13/18 6:25 a.m.

PMRacing: You missed the third option for turn 10, which my son discovered: pitch the car in hard, break the back end loose, mat the throttle and apex in a 4 wheel drift.  The RPM's jump as the back end gets light over the crest of the small hill/crest that's there, then as the weight settles on the back side, it shoots you up the hill.

Users note: This only happened once, I'm not entirely convinced it's repeatable.  It may cause passengers (i.e. me) to leave finger marks in the door pulls. 

EDIT:  Also note: The tires talk . . . A LOT . . . on the black stuff.  It sounds for all the world like it's about to let go, but that's normal.  You have to kind of build confidence in it. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/13/18 7:25 a.m.
Karacticus said:
PMRacing said:

It most certainly does not. 

Went there with a coworker last year who had never driven a track that had any elevation changes of any significance.  He had seen the video many times, but had no idea. 

“I can’t see anything but sky while I’m heading uphill!”

That's like running Hallett backwards, only in reverse. 

You can't see "The Bitch" the turn-in, anything until you've already already started braking.

PMRacing
6/13/18 7:44 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

I left that option out since it is his first time there laugh

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/13/18 8:04 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

I have taken 10 that way a few times it does work relatively well, I'm just not consistent with it.   

Also one day I witnessed some drift kid take a 5,6,7 combo with some excessive slip angle.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/13/18 8:19 a.m.

Flat out over the jump is nerve racking the first several times.  Something about that silence then loud chirp like when an airplane lands.  It's easy to over brake here, this is where I see more cars turn into lawn mowers from lockup.  My dampers are a little weak so I coast over the jump to prevent my air dam from scraping.   

In between sessions I like to watch from inside of 7, you can see 4 through 8 and it's just across the parking lot to watch 11, 12 and the front straight.

All of the parking is between the jump and 5 with the lower section grass and up top paved.   I always park at 7.

Karacticus
6/13/18 9:25 a.m.

Yeah, the jump is an experience!

It's really sweet when you get your brake application timed so that you just pin the front of the car down as it compresses.  

However, I've stopped really trying to to that, because if you get it timed wrong and catch the front early or on the bounce, you get nothing but ABS ice mode and head off into the grass.

So, I've just kind of run out of brave there.

Also, if I've done 3 and 4 well, I'm pretty much just made the rev limiter in third at the crest of the jump, so I'm not really accelerating over the top anyway.

But, you also really don't need to slow as much for 5 as you think, so you just need patience to wait for the car to settle to brake-- there's time.

It is fun to watch the jump from the infield and see which cars get air.  Last year there was a yellow M Coupe that would have air under the rear axle most of the time-- have yet to personally see anyone with daylight under all four.

Not my car -- result of web search:

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/13/18 9:40 a.m.

Grattan is a riot.  There's no lodging directly nearby.  That said, it's still within 30ish minutes of Grand Rapids, so plenty of options not too far away.  

Since you're coming from Chicago area, if you'd like a hotel, the Comfort Suites Grand Rapids - North ( 350 Dodge St, Comstock Park, MI 49321 )  is right off 131 at West River Dr., which puts you about 25 minutes away, but it's right on route for where you'd be traveling anyway, and Elk Brewing is right across from hotel (...and Perrin brewing is only ~5 minutes away... if you like breweries).  I've had friends stay here and liked it.  Safe area.    

If camping at the track, it's plenty quiet as noted.  Lots of room to park/camp, and basic facilities on site.  

I also live about 15 minutes straight west of the track if you need a garage/tools before or after.      

Lastly, if you're looking for a dinner afterwards to unwind, Bostwick Lake Inn is ~10 minutes away from the track on your way back towards GR on M-44 and has a nice lakefront patio and great food, though it can get busy especially on a Saturday night, you can always order from the bar.  https://www.thegilmorecollection.com/bostwicklakeinn/

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/13/18 1:48 p.m.

oldie but a goodie from a motorcycle rider's perspective... I'd say it's still applicable.  cheeky

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
6/13/18 2:01 p.m.

I do love Grattan.

Spectating is best by the big tree close to the toilet bowl and above the pits along the straight.  Race starts are interesting to watch as the cars approach turn 1.  Interesting things tend to happen there.

If you are running in the morning and the grass is wet, and you go off at turn 4 (I think?) there is a chance you could end up in the swamp.

When we camped at the track, late at night we used to walk out on the track and lay down to star gaze.  Being in the middle of nowhere, the night sky is beautiful.

Did I mention I love Grattan?

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
6/13/18 11:06 p.m.

Ah yes - Grattan. Only track I was ever knocked out (as in black out) for a few seconds resulting from a close encounter in turn 11. It is a little blind - noticeable when you are at full song a couple feet above the ground in a formula car and see (for a couple milliseconds) a spun car in the middle of the track. Be aware but have fun.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/14/18 5:06 a.m.

A nice fella in a BMW was on my tail from 5 thru 8 so I gave him a point by at 9.  Imagine my surprise when he was no longer in front of me at 12 looking down the front straight.   I spotted him scrubbing off speed in the grass.  If you over cook 12 you either look sweet in an eighty mile/hr drift up the front straight or you end up sliding up the grass wall towards the grand stands.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/18 8:26 a.m.
akylekoz said:

A nice fella in a BMW was on my tail from 5 thru 8 so I gave him a point by at 9.  Imagine my surprise when he was no longer in front of me at 12 looking down the front straight.   I spotted him scrubbing off speed in the grass.  If you over cook 12 you either look sweet in an eighty mile/hr drift up the front straight or you end up sliding up the grass wall towards the grand stands.

Grandstands? At Grattan?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/14/18 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Sorry, multilevel bleachers.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/14/18 9:30 a.m.

Bring some one's for the purple ice cream truck.

Karacticus
6/19/18 10:21 a.m.

I just signed up for the Motor City BMW CCA event in September.  Long drive for me, but worth it!

Let us know about your experience after your event in July.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/19/18 11:59 a.m.

I used to be a BMWCCA member, maybe I'll bring a Mustang for y'all to beat up on.

Karacticus
6/19/18 12:29 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Heck, I think there was a Panoz at the event last year.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
632IprgJFeLaAipsFAuLeKUgWoSIydCQxahwTGEsgQ64YjrPKQIompyRkkXCFgBJ