_
_ Dork
2/1/20 9:20 p.m.

What's the easy button (easy hook?) for the nc Miata? Something that doesn't require destroying the interior. 

how's this attach? Around the rear view mirror? I wouldn't want my helmet ripping off the rear view. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/1/20 9:26 p.m.

That one looks like it would bolt around a roll bar or other part of a cage

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Ah. Yes, that does look like that. What are my options without cage, and without a roof?

A) I don't want my expensive helmet rolling around in my expensive car. 
B) I would like to "secure" it to the car so when I'm working the course I don't have to worry about it. 
I've been putting it in the helmet bag and then Into the trunk, but then I have to dig it back out for fun runs. Plus, it just look swag with it hanging from something. Am I on crack?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/1/20 9:39 p.m.

Still have a passenger seat?  Could fashion a loop of rope around the head rest and just use an S-hook

https://www.e-rigging.com/1-4-x-2-stainless-steel-asymmetric-s-hook 

Or anything along that line of thought.

 

Not sure what you could do for securing while you're working the track

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I do have a passenger seat, but don't want rope chafe (giggity). I have nice interior for once. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
2/1/20 9:45 p.m.

gear clamp and a rubber bungee S hook end. I had no idea you could pay money for that. 

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 9:47 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Gear clamp? Like a worm drive clamp? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/1/20 9:51 p.m.

Your helmet has a visor? Flip it up, buckle the seatbelt, put the lap belt across the visor opening, pull the belt tight.

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yeah, I mean, that works to secure it to the seat, but doesn't prevent possible theft. I'm looking to lock this down while having it displayed near the windshield so I can easily eyeball that my helmet is still present in the car. And if someone wants to take it, they gotta take it, boldly, in front of god and everyone. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/1/20 10:27 p.m.
mw
mw Dork
2/2/20 5:41 a.m.

If you want it locked, I don't think there's anything that will be less hassle than putting it in the trunk. 
 

Ive never been to an autox that I was concerned about someone stealing my helmet. It usually sits in the passenger seat with the keys in the ignition. 
 

thanks for the thread though as if reminded me that I should order a helmet hook for the car since it does have a cage. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
2/2/20 6:01 a.m.

How shady of a group do you autocross with that you need to worry about your helmet getting stolen while you're working the course?

I think the trunk would be fine for security purposes with the benefit of keeping it out of direct sun so it doesn't get too hot, which is something no hook or rope Will help with.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/2/20 8:29 a.m.

I don't see how a helmet hook would prevent theft.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
2/2/20 9:22 a.m.
mw said:

Ive never been to an autox that I was concerned about someone stealing my helmet. It usually sits in the passenger seat with the keys in the ignition. 
 

This.

Same for us at the track... never been worried about it.

You can always give your helmet a unique paint job.  That will make it easily identifiable, and even less likely to disappear. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/2/20 9:34 a.m.
Rodan said:
mw said:

Ive never been to an autox that I was concerned about someone stealing my helmet. It usually sits in the passenger seat with the keys in the ignition. 
 

This.

Same for us at the track... never been worried about it.

You can always give your helmet a unique paint job.  That will make it easily identifiable, and even less likely to disappear. 

This x2.  When I rallycross, I leave the key in the ignition and all my gear is all out in the open.  If I didn't trust anyone to not steal my E36 M3 then I wouldn't be there, because this is community motorsports and you HAVE to trust each other.

 

Also, I painted my trailer the most eye-catchingly butt ugly color I could find for low dollars, as an anti theft device.  The helmet I used from '01 to '10 was painted in a garish blue-green-purple "flop" color that changed depending on what angle you see it at, too.  Probably going to paint my new helmet in that color too, because of course I would.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/2/20 11:00 a.m.

So let's get this strait you want to leave your expensive helmet out where people can see it but you don't want to risk having it stolen.  
 

Yes you are on crack. Why advertise that you have expensive stuff?  

Trunk is the easy button.

Who do you race with that you have to worry about your helmet (or any other stuff) getting stolen?

 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/2/20 1:15 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Rodan said:
mw said:

Ive never been to an autox that I was concerned about someone stealing my helmet. It usually sits in the passenger seat with the keys in the ignition. 
 

This.

Same for us at the track... never been worried about it.

You can always give your helmet a unique paint job.  That will make it easily identifiable, and even less likely to disappear. 

This x2.  When I rallycross, I leave the key in the ignition and all my gear is all out in the open.  If I didn't trust anyone to not steal my E36 M3 then I wouldn't be there, because this is community motorsports and you HAVE to trust each other.

Yeah, most of the time I leave the keys in my car in the paddock in the event that it starts raining, someone can run my windows up. Also, if I know someone is having trouble with their car and unsure if they can run it, I tell them to go grab my car and use it.

codrus
codrus UberDork
2/2/20 1:34 p.m.

While I know of a few theft incidents at local autocrosses, they have tended to be from non-participants who have wandered onto the site.  They have also tended to be of generic small/valuable/saleable kinds of things (phones, laptops, that kind of stuff), not helmets.  Helmet theft seems unlikely -- sure they're somewhat expensive, but it's not like there's a thriving market for used ones.  Most people don't want to buy one with somebody else's sweat in it. :)

As for the hooks, I've only ever seen roll cage mounts ones like the one pictured.  Race cars have helmet hooks because they don't have anywhere else in the interior to put a helmet that a driver can reach it, and other than the driver's seat the only thing they DO have in the interior is a roll cage.

When autocrossing I let the helmet sit on the passenger seat.  That's got enough dish to it that it doesn't roll around when I'm moving around the paddock/grid, and it's easy to reach.  The bag and trunk are for the drive home.

_
_ Dork
2/2/20 2:32 p.m.
RevRico said:

How shady of a group do you autocross with that you need to worry about your helmet getting stolen while you're working the course?

I think the trunk would be fine for security purposes with the benefit of keeping it out of direct sun so it doesn't get too hot, which is something no hook or rope Will help with.

It isn't the group I'm worried about. It's the hippies, transients, and gawkers from the sidelines that somehow make there way into our staging area where everyone is parked. They are supposed to have wrist bands on to show they signed the waiver, and yet, every event we have a weirdo come wandering in,  "just checking things out".
Our club has about 40 people. so 20 on grid, 20 on the cones. And some are in the timing van or at the checkin booth. There are eyes present, but all are busy. We've had wallets stolen and helmets "misplaced". 
if my helmet is in plain view, it deters. Much like having a front porch light on. And if the hook has an anyti theft clip of some sort, even better. 
it sounds like I'm SOL. So just forget it people. Some days I don't know why I bother. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
2/2/20 2:56 p.m.

In reply to _ :

With  that  being the situation, the club should make friends with the local police. Invite them out to watch and or compete, pass a hat around and make a donation at the end of the season, show them you're responsible and safe car owners trying to have fun while also letting them know there is a problem with visitors having sticky fingers. 

The events may gain new spectators, or a regular passing by, deterring future incidents. 

_
_ Dork
2/2/20 3:08 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

That's not a bad idea. Even if we just had one officer come out and run his cruiser in front of the crowds, that might be enough to deter. We have only had one transient show up twice. The second time he was asked to leave by a group of us that are physically fit. We'll see if he shows back up this time 

dps214
dps214 Reader
2/2/20 3:20 p.m.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how having valuables highly visible makes them less likely to be stolen. If you're concerned about theft, hide them away and lock them up. End of story. If your club can't control who gets into the restricted areas of their events that's a much bigger issue than just potential theft and they really need to do something about that.

_
_ Dork
2/2/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

No one said you have to understand everything. 

Our Preferred Partners
GLyuD1cQMyWlJa6ft4H4lRrVhIDfnhNI6mQUYagLfxmEs0bc7b4hLaSsp8qtL1W9