HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
12/16/10 4:12 p.m.

And I mean between team and driver on a track. Have at 'er. The cheaper the better

Smack35
Smack35 Reader
12/16/10 5:15 p.m.

Lots of guys at the track use these:Racing Radios

But my buddy might use his iPhone with a bluetooth headset in his ear and just call his dad before he goes out on track so it will be like a radio.

Then you can always mount a walkie talkie and go that way too.

Steven

ww
ww SuperDork
12/16/10 10:04 p.m.

Uhhh... Smack35, your link to "Racing Radios" links back to this post! ;)

Anyway, there should be a myriad of suggestions on this board given the number of 24HoL and ChumpCar participants on this board!

Smack35
Smack35 Reader
12/16/10 10:13 p.m.

Gotcha!!! I copied the wrong thing

here you go, for real this time

No Joke, Racing Radios

Steven

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 12:07 p.m.

I think folks tried the cell phone thing, but the calls dropped and the driver can't redial.

Also, ever try to wear a bluetooth headset and a full-face helmet at the same time?

Might look at some motorcycle communication systems (mainly because the headset is designed to fit in the helmet) or just a headset and a FRS radio mounted to the dash with a PTT button on the wheel or shifter.

If you really want to try the iPhone dealio, this might work better:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cell-phone/c8e1/

Also, mount the phone within reach and buy the Dynolicious logworks app and track the GPS and Accelerometer data from the car while you're at it. You will need to have the phone plugged in as the battery will not last the entire race, let alone the entire driver's stint.

The team I was on was lucky as they had someone on the team who provided a top notch radio system for the three cars in our team. They do radio systems for a living. The ear pieces alone were about $200/ea., so we had to re-use them between drivers as they only had three spare headsets.

Here's a link to a thread that might help:

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/824-two-way-radios/

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/17/10 12:19 p.m.

Depending on the size of the track and the terrain, a couple cheap FRS frequency radios (Motorola Talkabouts, etc.) would probably work. They do have limited range.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
12/17/10 12:37 p.m.

Contact Racing Radios and the other big dogs in radios and see if they have trade-in sets.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 12:59 p.m.

Most motorcycle systems are limited to around >1 mile of range, meant for riding in a group as opposed to replacing a cellular. Some use an FRS radio and stretch that to around 3 miles. At a really flat track, FRS may be fine. On hilly terrain, you may have issues.

My thought is to check e-bay for an older radio. Miniaturization is cool and all, but it really ups the price. Why not strap something big but powerful into the car and use a headset. I am thinking like this:

Or what about a CB radio? Excellent range, many have a hands-free VOX function.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JpWVL3aGB7Jtwb9A82igTloWGkoCaf3QdPI57b53SSX15g4DWIYNWoyQyO1epUmg