oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
7/28/14 12:04 p.m.

I'm looking for something a bit nicer, newer, for my wife to use. She has been using Grunt, my 89 Corolla All-Trac (AE9 series) for the past few months.

Besides a bit nicer, and newer... I'd like to keep the overall size as close to the Corolla as possible.

The early model or the first body(P10) used a highport SR20DE, while the later version of the P10 chassis got a mid, or lower port SR20DE. Finally, the P11 chassis 1998+ got a variable valve timing SR20. All use timing chains, not timing belts.

The very early cars didn't have many options - auto, leather, moonroof. Later they offered the G20T... which I've heard includes a fold-down rear seat - likely desirable, but not required.

From cursory observation the interiors can get ripped up(driver seat especially)... and I've seen quite a few decaying steering wheels, and decaying/fraying seat belts (really annoying as it can chafe across her boobs).

I also remember something about 5th gear issues related to people resting their hands on the shifter????

So... learn me... Besides what I've stated... What goes when, what should have been serviced, that typically isn't. I want to be a well educated G20 shopper.....

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/28/14 12:29 p.m.

Not sure the exact cause, but they have the same 5th gear popout issue as the B13 Sentra SE-R. I think there's a fix kit out there, but you gotta pull the trans apart. The T models usually (maybe always?) have an LSD too, although an old one might be inop by now anyway. I've had my eye out for one, but they are not common around here I guess, unless they are falling apart and not worth it. Find a nice one and just look for the usual used car stuff. They all have the SR20, so you don't have to worry about a "base" model having a different engine. From what I've heard, think of a heavier SE-R with more bells and whistles, and less "race car" feel. Can't go wrong if you find a nice one though, IMO.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/28/14 12:39 p.m.

Pretty sure they were basically 4 door SE-Rs. It was a long time ago, but my wife had a '94 G20 as her DD for a few years. Wonderfully fun little car. Your observations on the interior are correct, though I can't verify the chafed boobs (and trust me, I checked frequently ). Her's was an automatic.

I can't comment on specific weak points, I can say ours was trouble free over many miles. Great fuel mileage if driven sanely, spunky handling. If you can find a nice one, go for it.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
7/28/14 12:53 p.m.

Early models (91-93) have the motorized seat belts, IIRC the change-over point to airbags and manual belts happened with what are called the 93.5 models, I think that's when the engine changed from high port to low port heads. Early models are pretty much identical under the hood to the same vintage Sentra SE-R. Suspension is completely different from the SE-R as is the lug pattern (4 x 114.3 instead of 4 X 100) so those parts won't interchange. You can convert the motorized belts in a early model to the standard ones, but some fabrication is required. May want to consider that as a comfort issue because the motorized belts are not adjustable. The 5th gear pop-out issue is related to all SR20DE 5-speed transmissions in the early models, I think the fix was implemented with the 93.5 and later cars. Automatic models are pretty reliable, but not as fast or fun to drive as the manual models and the tranny will do some funny kick-downs if the cable gets out of adjustment. Stick with the manual if possible. The leather in these is about the cheapest grade they got and will split if it hasn't already so be prepared to invest in seat covers or stick with a cloth seat car. You can put in seats from a P11, but it will require swapping the seat tracks to the earlier model ones so that's more fabrication. Sunroof cars will get leaks from plugged drain tubes like any other sunroof equipped car. Good power for it's size, especially in the P10 chassis, the P11 is more comfortable, but heavier and consequently slower. Well built cars and generally pretty reliable.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
7/28/14 3:29 p.m.

Just remember, those engines pull a premium a week before race wars. So be sure you get any work done on them before that so you dont have to pay that premium.

rotard
rotard Dork
7/28/14 3:50 p.m.

What does your wife want? If she's wanting something nicer and newer, she probably doesn't have a 20 year old car in mind.

The fifth gear pop out is the only annoying thing I experienced. Other than that, you only have to look for the things you'd usually look for in an old used car.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/28/14 4:30 p.m.

I've been told that front suspension shares a lot of parts with Skylines.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
7/28/14 5:56 p.m.
rotard wrote: What does your wife want? If she's wanting something nicer and newer, she probably doesn't have a 20 year old car in mind. The fifth gear pop out is the only annoying thing I experienced. Other than that, you only have to look for the things you'd usually look for in an old used car.

She wants... me to have few if any problems maintaining her car. She has owned a few nice cars already (05 Accord coupe, 02 IS300 Sport Cross) and for the most part she doesn't like them. Grunt is all well and good, great even... but a bit too utilitarian. I see the G20 as a bit more comfort, and a bit more power in a decent small package. The earlier cars a bit simpler, a bit less luxury, a bit more sporting charachter, while the newer models are a bit more luxury, a bit less sport... and maybe a bit more complicated.

rotard wrote: What does your wife want? If she's wanting something nicer and newer, she probably doesn't have a 20 year old car in mind. The fifth gear pop out is the only annoying thing I experienced. Other than that, you only have to look for the things you'd usually look for in an old used car.

I think you mean the newer G models beginning with the G35, the G20 was/is a Sentra based fwd small luxury car.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/28/14 7:22 p.m.

A variable valve timing SR20VE swap is cheap and you will pick up approximately 70 HP at the wheels. If you get one let me know I have a set of adjustable shocks with lowering springs, a exhaust and a bunch of stock P10 "t" parts that I don't have a use for.

I had a P10 that I swapped a VE into, fun car. I sold it and got a 2000 Maxima SE which was probably a better daily driver

beans
beans Dork
7/28/14 10:09 p.m.

Rear suspension is similar to 300zx, as well. Great cars, very fun to drive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AYQqm2SdqTrWCTuXV6slO8pnvUFd5C2H1WUbWY2v1qHx0me1TWGuCw1OGzehAPQV