1 2
BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 3:11 p.m.

So after after looking at RVs and all that jazz, my wife decided that what she really wants is a JK  Wrangler Unlimited with an Ursa Minor roof camper. Both as a mini-RV and a daily driver replacement. Oh, and there happens to be one for sale in town...

Anything I need to know about these? IIRC the one in town is a Rubicon, although we're probably better served with one of the "lesser" version for slightly more road friendly manners. Oh, and we'd be looking at the automatic version.

How are these for towing with the "max tow" package?

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
3/15/18 3:31 p.m.

I don’t know too much but be sure to get a later one with the Pentastar, instead of the junk 3.7 that was in the early models.  I think the changeover was 2012?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/18 3:38 p.m.

Depending on the year, a new lower spec one might be the same $$$. It's incredible how well those things hold their value.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/15/18 3:46 p.m.

If you want to tow, don't buy a Wrangler.  Even the biggest of them are only rated for 3500.  Limited mostly by a lack of power, not enough trans for heavy towing and marshmallows for suspension.  

BoxheadCougarTim
3/15/18 4:22 p.m.

Towing would be a nice bonus, maybe for a bike trailer or something. Not for serious race car towing.

And yes, we're looking at something like 2015-on.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/18 7:23 p.m.

2007-2011 is the 3.8L

2012-present is the 3.6L Pentastar

2 door tow rating is 2k max

4 door tow rating is 3500 lbs (with tow package)

4 door Sport or Willy's is the sweet spot

Oh and JK brakes are terrible. There are big brake kits available.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 7:27 p.m.

The short wheelbase would make me leery of towing much with a 2-door wrangler.   

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
3/15/18 7:32 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Even the biggest of them are only rated for 3500. Limited mostly by a lack of power...

Not in the slightest... At least not withwith 3.6L.

stanger_missle
3/15/18 8:04 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I towed my little camper (900lbs) filled with my crap (~350lbs) from Tampa, FL to Boise, ID. That journey took 6 days but took probably 15 years off of my life. Yeah, a 2 door JK will tow a small amount but in no way, shape or form was it a pleasurable experience. I think that week gave me PTSD haha

stanger_missle
3/15/18 8:18 p.m.

If I were to buy a Wrangler again, I'd definitely get the 4 door with a hardtop and the automatic. The 6 speed is agricultural at best and is only rated like 1 mpg better than the 5 speed auto. I'd also find a JKU with 3.73 gears vs the gas mileage special 3.21s in my JK. The Rubicon comes with 4.10s.

If you can swing it, the Sahara is the most comfortable driving Wrangler but it's still a Wrangler, for good and bad.

The 3.6L Pentastar in the JK was rated at 285 hp/260 lbft but I think the new ones make a bit more. The 2 door Sport 6 speed supposedly does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds so it has plenty of power. But its like trying to power shift a grain truck.

I'd drive a few different JKs to see if you can live with it.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/15/18 8:46 p.m.

I have a 2007 JKU sahara with the 6-speed.  It is the slowest modern vehicle i have ever driven.  Despite this fact it is a much nicer driving jeep than any of the TJ wranglers I have owned.

Mine desperately needs gears given the 35 inch tires.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/18 8:48 p.m.

Avoid any pre 2011, the engines in those are trash. also you will get less mpg than a 4 door 4x4 v8 pickup.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/15/18 9:23 p.m.

I dont think a Rubicon will have much worse road manners than any other Wrangler other than it being likely to have more aggressive tires on it. 

The 3.8 is a super reliable engine, but it's underpowered for the weight of the vehicle (especially if you are adding to it!). 

The 3.6 is pretty great as far as i'm concerned. Buy an aftermarket warranty if you're worried about it. The 5spd Mercedes auto is an extremely strong trans. AMG sold cars with 700lb ft going through that trans. They put it in Sprinters that get overloaded for a living. Mopar put their biggest V8s of the time in front of it. Some versions have disappointing manumatic functionality, but that's about all the ill i'll speak of it. It's pretty good. 

MrChaos
3/15/18 9:34 p.m.

I have had a few friends with them. Only 1 still owns 2 but is getting rid of them.  1 was lemon lawed, and the other 5 had clockspring issues and other random electrical issues, one had a complete BCM failure which is fairly common and a 15ish minute fix but is at least a $250 part to fix it and a trip to the dealer to get it reprogramed. One has gone through 2 clutches in 100k miles, multiple have had to have calipers replaced with less than 100k miles on them.  

BoxheadCougarTim
3/15/18 11:58 p.m.

Looks like my previous reply got lost somehow. Probably pressed the wrong button...

We're looking at 4 door Wranglers only - no interest in the two door. IIRC the Ursa Minor camper conversion is only available for the four door anyway. Hot link:

It also looks like prices for nearly new and new ones aren't that far apart, so we're probably going to look at buying brand new. Especially as it looks like dealers in our area are offering quite noticeable discounts on them.

MrChaos
3/16/18 5:36 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadCougarTim :

thats because the JL is better in most ways

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/16/18 7:56 a.m.
MrChaos said:

And because Wranglers don't depreciate.  Want a $5000 Wrangler?  It's probably gonna be an early (late 80s) YJ with a 4 cylinder that knocks, the frame is going to be almost rusted in half, most of the tub is rusted away, etc.  

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/18 9:59 a.m.

SWMBO has had her 2 door JK for just shy of 2 years now and she still loves it. Roughly 30k on it now and it's needed nothing but oil changes. And windshields, think it's in need of its 3rd or 4th now. 

BoxheadCougarTim
3/16/18 1:25 p.m.
MrChaos said:

I think the JL might get a bit of a discount as well, haven't looked. But then FCA seems to be one discount fest anyway.

We are still thinking about a JL, but I have to figure out if Ursa Minor is planning to supply the camper for those as well. If they aren't we may be better off buying something like a leftover 2017, of which there are several available right now.

stanger_missle
3/16/18 3:34 p.m.

The JK and JL will be sold along side each other for a few years, so you might be able to find a nice discount on a new JK.

I bought my JK new in 2012 because it was about $5k more than a 2007 JK was going for. They do hold their value shockingly well.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/16/18 3:35 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

They do hold their value shockingly well.

For a very good reason.  What do you cross-shop a Wrangler with?  Basically nothing.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/16/18 4:25 p.m.
BoxheadCougarTim said:

Looks like my previous reply got lost somehow. Probably pressed the wrong button...

We're looking at 4 door Wranglers only - no interest in the two door. IIRC the Ursa Minor camper conversion is only available for the four door anyway. Hot link:

It also looks like prices for nearly new and new ones aren't that far apart, so we're probably going to look at buying brand new. Especially as it looks like dealers in our area are offering quite noticeable discounts on them.

It's almost like someone told you that in the third post of this thread. 

devil

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/18 4:48 p.m.

You might want to look at the ten worst car brands before you buy a new Jeep. Fiat earned 1st place, followed by Jeep in the #2 slot. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/16/18 5:19 p.m.

I just looked at a new '18 wrangler 4dr while dropping off my old zj for service. I was very impressed with the new layout of everything. I was looking at a sport hard top. Then i sat in it. The seats are garbage. Then i drove it. No way I'd buy one. I'd go get twice the comfort, 100x the reliability, and 90% of the capability for the same price by buying a 4Runner and just open the damn sunroof.  If you want the tent option get a Tacoma and one of the combined shells with pop up tent built in. 

I mean, it drove a little better than my 20 year old grand cherokee but was a lot less comfortable. No way I'm spending 45k on something like that, not for my needs.

But I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.

BoxheadCougarTim
3/16/18 5:37 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

You might want to look at the ten worst car brands before you buy a new Jeep. Fiat earned 1st place, followed by Jeep in the #2 slot. 

Im aware of that, but it's what SWMBO wants. Keep in mind she's driving a 17 year old Range Rover right now...

While I'm not a big fan of leases I may try to convince her to lease one for the warranty period and if she still likes it at that point, buy outthe lease.

Or give it back if it turns out to be a pile of horse poo. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FNFdVWs7s5984R0CnUJaLXYixaHDEIAfJ05ZcTlSzDbfLuF04L6oGHGenjMVqrl6