bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
7/23/14 8:38 p.m.

2002 Jetta 1.8T 5 speed auto 90k miles $4500 one owner car.

20 valve motor? 5 valves per? Do they have any lash adjuster issues?

What should I look for? It looks clean and drives tight and makes the right noises.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/14 8:49 p.m.

The automatic transmissions are known for being absolute piles of junk, so be wary. The 1.8T is also known for sludge issues (more common on the Passat but possible on the Jetta), and then there's all the "normal" VW MK4 electrical issues...also, there was a class action lawsuit about VW's 1.8T timing belt intervals because they tend to break every 60k, well short of the recommended replacement interval. If it hasn't been done by 90k, the car is a time bomb...

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
7/23/14 9:04 p.m.

That does not sound promising....

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/14 9:15 p.m.

Bah... Low ball the owner because it is due for a timing belt. Do the belt. Drive. And you say 5 speed auto.... Is it automatic? If so it doesn't make the right noises...

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
7/23/14 9:20 p.m.

Gurl driver first car, she gets an auto.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/14 6:46 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Gurl driver first car, she gets an auto.

Low ball them, do the belt and drive... And yes, stuff will break and stuff will go wrong. Happens...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/24/14 7:37 a.m.

Yes, for that price I'd expect a 5 spd. The automatics seem to be worth less on the used market.

Ask for service records. If none, low-ball even more. Sludging issues are generally due to non-VAG rated oil being used. VW turbo engines do NOT tolerate incorrect oil. It's easier to find now, but back in '02 it was not. When I bought my '03 (new), I spent the first 4 years buying oil at a dealer because none of the local FLAPS carried it. Most owners are not as neurotic about that as I was.

Beyond that, it's a VW... it's a crap-shoot on whether it'll run forever with basic maintenance or nickle & dime you to death.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
7/24/14 8:46 a.m.

^ Really? I used Mobil1 0-40 in my 2005 from oil change #1 since it was in the VW Spec for the 1.8T's and when I had my local VW shop pull the pan @ 150K to check on the sludging issue he said that it was the cleanest pan/head he had ever seen. Motor lasted until 230K when my wife totaled the car in an accident.

Another thing to look for is coolant leaks. There is about 4-5 different plastic fittings that tend to crack with time. Not a big deal, but running the coolant dry is generally considered a bad thing. ecstuning.com is where I got most of my parts.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/24/14 12:30 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote: ^ Really?

Not sure what you mean.

0-40 Mobil 1 (Euro Formula) is VAG rated. That's what I use 90% of the time. Availablity was sporadic for awhile.

Coolant is another potential issue. If you open the reservior and see green (or even worse: brown), hand the keys back to the seller and run away. VAG coolant is pink, no if ands or buts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fH2pl0ql5mAq0talIox2NrPmPdlm6AUAWhOC7I48mzqiSw3S1GXevV2SBR7x1oJk