1 2
dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/14 2:12 p.m.

I drove a lightly modded Evo IX MR and loved it. It had a full turbo-back exhaust, stock Bilsteins, and Swift springs. I'm a Subaru fan and didn't expect to like it, but I was blown away. I expected it to be gutless off boost, but it really wasn't bad at all. And compared to the STI, it actually makes power after 4K RPM! The AWD system seemed to work very well, and the steering I thought would be too twitchy was perfect.

All in all, I'd have to say it was the best car I've ever driven. If resale on them wasn't so strong, I'd love to own one...

calteg
calteg Reader
2/10/14 2:14 p.m.

As long as you stick to sane power levels (sub 500hp), either trans will hold up well. There are a few vocal folks on evolutionm that have stripped the gears off of 4th, but most of them are running 500whp+.

The problem is that the gearing of the 6spd essentially does nothing but make you shift more often. If you are on a LOT of long road trips, it might save you a bit of gas....though you still won't have cruise control.

Get a base evo IX, spend $100 on the vortex generator, try and snag a pair of the MR wheels cheap (I believe they're significantly lighter)

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/10/14 4:57 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

I agree with what you have said. I have driven my friend's six speed and it seemed that the rpm in 6th gear at highway speed was not generating boost. While my 5spd on the same 70mph speed limit road was in the boost and killing my fuel economy. Also the wife thought the exhaust noise was very noticeably better in the 6spd car. Better as in less noise.

I think the extra gear won't hurt to have.

Also let me know where to grab those cheap MR wheels based on my last search they were holding prices rather high for 5year old used wheels.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/10/14 5:00 p.m.

BTW I am looking for the MR wheels for my friend's Evo 3 conversion.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/10/14 7:45 p.m.
calteg wrote: Stay away from any that are throwing the random misfire code, like the one in the thread I made (I ended up passing on that car).

Here's the big secret of the random misfire code. The combination of lightweight flywheel, heavy-duty clutch, and 3" downpipe is what does it. The extra vibration triggers the overly sensitive knock sensor and it throws a code. Stick with the stock flywheel and a milder clutch and it'll never happen again. It's no big deal.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
2/12/14 12:52 a.m.

Well, E36 M3.
Now it looks like I need to decide what color I want.

Curious though, I know that when I was looking at Subarus, searching outside the Northwest yielded significantly lower prices for similar specimens.

Any such correlations with Evos?

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
2/12/14 1:04 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: Well, E36 M3. Looks like I need to decide what color I want. Curious though, I know that when I was looking at Subarus, searching outside the Northwest yielded significantly lower prices for similar specimens. Any such correlations with Evos?

As much as I don't like silver or gray cars normally, I think the dark gray that Mitsubishi put on the Evos is SOOOO nice! A couple months ago I saw a dark gray Evo X with dark colored wheels (maybe black or gunmetal). It was beautiful. Then the driver did a huge burnout U turn and shot fireballs as he shifted through the gears. The SOUND! So nice.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
2/12/14 1:46 a.m.

I know most people who have driven all the USDM LanEvos say the 8 and 9 is better than the "overrated" Evo X.

calteg
calteg Reader
2/12/14 8:02 a.m.
kanaric wrote: I know most people who have driven all the USDM LanEvos say the 8 and 9 is better than the "overrated" Evo X.

Stock for stock, the evo X is a tiny bit faster. Once you start modding, there's no comparison. Plus the X has an "unproven" motor and a glass automatic tranny.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
2/12/14 10:40 a.m.

Graphite Gray is nice. I like white cars, but not so much the Evo. Silver is okay, the car has enough flares and creases to still look interesting in that shade. And I just don't like black cars, although the only black IX MR is the SE, so probably relatively rare.

I know I'm thread jacking here, but I've really had my eye on one of these cars for a while. Thinking IX MR for a lightly modded DD that can do some autocross, ice racing, and rallycross. I figure the 6sp should be fine at pump gas stock turbo power levels, and I get the nice wheels and Bilsteins. Do not want leather or sunroof, would avoid SSL pack. How do these cars do in terms of rust in Wisconsin (lots of snow and salt)? I'd probably do one of those under carriage oil spray treatments...never had a decent car in winter before.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
2/12/14 1:47 p.m.

I hope that I can get at least a single run in an autocross in a Evolution VIII or IX and try to compare it to a WRX or STI this season.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
2/18/14 9:26 p.m.

I never fully realized how much the value of these cars was staying up...
I'm not convinced I can find what I want without shelling out 25ish.
Which is mostly a problem because there's a lot of other options at 25k.

Plus it seems like most of the ones up for sale are MRs.
Also, I've seen more than a handful of Evo X's advertised as IXes, seems odd.

calteg
calteg Reader
2/18/14 9:45 p.m.

@snowMongoose

I suppose it depends on your geographic location. Here in TX the 8's and 9's are $15,000-20,000. In a area where you actually need awd, they're likely more expensive

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
2/18/14 9:54 p.m.

Well crap, looks like I'm going to have to think about flying to Texas.
Almost did that for an '04 Forester XT two years ago.

And we don't need AWD around here, despite what you'd think from everyone and their mom driving Subarus.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZgyGfRfRm2bTSNaYOShTmf9iEeSOoaRN4Q9q8XzWLbIL4yZytzn6XzkcafculaGJ