Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/23/18 4:52 p.m.

Now that the celica is finished, and broken in, the rear wheel drive shenanigans have begun (videos anyone?). 

In doing so, the 8.8 lsd has some odd lock up. It’ll do a blazing two wheel burnout, but if I donut, the one tire fire happens on the outside tire, then abruptly shifts to two wheels. Clutches are likely worn out. I changed the fluids and added half a bottle of the friction modifier. 

Some mustang hooligans told me to change the fluid again and not add the modifier... but those were mustang hooligans...

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/23/18 5:23 p.m.

Mines rebuilt with the modern clutchpack kit too Ford's extreme duty specs. Requires 75-140 synthetic gear oil and no modifier. My wagons done close to 300 donuts with no issues. Did take about 100 miles I've driving to get it too quit dragging the inside tire on tight turns. You can also run 85-140 non synthetic but need an additive. Even the occasional one tire hitting dirt hasn't been enough to cause my car to go one wheeler. It's basically just cruised and used for burnouts and donuts. So it's seen plenty of sideways with no issues. 

Was the same clutch pack set up I used in my 81 marquis that had a similar life and was 600lbs heavier. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/23/18 5:25 p.m.

A rebuild is on the books. This thing is factory stock from a ‘93 exploder with over 200,000mi so I’m going to assume it’s worn out. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/23/18 5:30 p.m.

Get the frpp clutch pack kit. It uses the improved clutches that came out in the newer 8.8. Some guys also swap too the S spring out of the f150 because it's stiffer. I've never needed that but Its well regarded in the drag radial world for guys who don't want to go spool/locker.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/23/18 5:45 p.m.

I've also heard of the f150 spring thing, and for a while I think the hot setup for autocrossing was adding an extra friction to the clutch pack. But it's been a while since then, so that may no longer be the preferred route.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/23/18 8:02 p.m.

What effect does leaving the S spring out have?  Does it prevent lock up under decel?

Will
Will UltraDork
5/23/18 8:27 p.m.

Leaving out the S-spring will give you an open diff.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/18 11:41 p.m.

Ford Racing M4700C 8.8 rebuild kit is what you need:

I had this kit put in when I refreshed the 8.8 in my '95 Mustang GT. Its the same parts in the 03-04 Cobras. It works really well.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/24/18 5:33 a.m.
dropstep said:

My wagons done close to 300 donuts with no issues. 

I better see this quote in the magazine soon.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/18 7:30 p.m.
Will said:

Leaving out the S-spring will give you an open diff.

Well, no.  Leaving the S-spring out will give no PRELOAD.  When you apply torque, the spider gears will push the side gears out into the clutches and you get limited slip action.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/25/18 1:02 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I thought that’s how it worked too. Thanks for confirmation. It’s hard to get accurate info over the internet about this setup. The “corral” guys say one thing, the exploder and ranger guys say another. Then you have the guys that have put them into other hot rods, and they will say a different experience. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/18 5:02 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

Where it gets tricky is in very slippy conditions like, say, having one wheel hanging in the air.  With no preload, no torque can be applied to either wheel, so there's nothing to start engaging the clutches, so it IS an open diff unless you drag the brakes.

On the road, it would result in better turn-in because the diff isn't fighting you anymore.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/25/18 6:10 a.m.

Rebuild time.

I use the S-spring and the stock packing order with the uprated clutch packs. My car sees mostly autocross duty and starts acting like an open diff after two seasons. Parts for rebuild are $100-$150. Has everything to do with how mustangs suspensions are. 

Next time I go in, I am either doing a TrueTrac ($520 at summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a562/overview/ or a T2R $687 at Maximum Motorsports http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Torsen-T2R-torque-bias-differential-High-Bias-Ford-88-differential-P881.aspx ).  Look into amazon for possible better pricing..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1GlMJ1utqg65YYfJgh9PisdlFzEgMUamCiWIIHQGf5AqY1DbqEBgbE8m5gcC0qIG