CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
1/5/14 8:32 a.m.

In the not too distant future, we will be replacing my wife's trusty 210K mile Civic with a new car. I've been trying to push her towards the 2014 Mazda3 but she really likes the Mini Cooper. We're looking at the non-S original version of the car (they call it the hardtop now) with an automatic. Some questions: 1. I've heard generally bad things about Mini's reliability, including Consumer Reports naming Mini the least reliable car brand. Are we asking for trouble/high maintenance costs by going after this mini BMW? 2. New for 2014, there will be an updated version of the Cooper Hardtop. The base model will have a 3-cyl Turbo motor. This sounds to me like something that should be avoided; being one of the first people to try out the new drive-train. Do you agree?

Any other comments or tips would also be appreciated, but I am trying to separate experiences with the S-model from the base model that we are considering. Thanks!

ihayes
ihayes New Reader
1/5/14 11:20 a.m.

My Mini ('08 S Hardtop manual transmission) hasn't been too bad. Expect squeaks and rattles, a lot of minor stuff like sunroof and hatch adjustments that will be sorted out at the dealer. The only thing major I have had is the high pressure fuel pump replaced under extended warantee at 110k miles, a handful of minor recalls, oh and the lcd went out on the radio (also replaced for free).

I would stay away from the new model personally. No first hand experience with the new model, but my car was the second model year after the redesign(I think?) and they were still sorting out basic things like programming for the power windows. Nothing too bad, but just too many visits to the dealer for my taste.

That being said the car is fun to drive, and I like it. My next car will probably wont be a Mini/BMW though.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/5/14 11:22 a.m.

They're great cars as long as you have a warranty. Mine just spun a bearing at 130k after following MINI's recommended maitenence schedule.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/14 12:11 p.m.

The auto/CVT trans in the original non-S Cooper was garbage, to the point of a class action lawsuit being launched against BMW. They seem to be incredibly failure-prone. If it has to be an auto, look elsewhere (manuals and S-autos are okay).

J308
J308 HalfDork
1/5/14 12:37 p.m.

I think the whole cars are failure prone. I did a WOT pull at 70k miles and the water pump flew apart. I didn't have time to DIY, and paying BMW prices for that rollerskate really hurt.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/5/14 12:47 p.m.

the turning radius sucks on them- had to help dig/push a Mini Cooper convertible out of a snowbank in a ditch yesterday because they couldn't do a u-turn on a wide paved road. they were going from Wisconsin to Oregon and stopped in a small town off the interstate for gas... when they went to get back on the interstate, they missed the turn and drove right over the interstate, so they tried to do a u turn and the wheel went off the edge of the road... poor city hipsters actually thought that kitty litter will magically get you out of a 2 foot deep snowbank when the car is sitting on it and the wheels are a foot off the ground- good thing we were passing by...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
1/5/14 2:30 p.m.

I've got a 2007 S with auto that I bought new. After almost 7 years of ownership, here's where I stand on the car and BMW as a company:

The car hasn't been too bad for reliability, but I've been lucky. The only significant breakdown I've had was the plastic thermostat housing cracking at 60k. It cost me about $100 in parts and several hours to replace-- it would have been around $500 at the dealer to fix.

It has had some trouble with poor idle and hesitation that has mostly been fixed by doing a Seafoam treatment. This is a result of the direct injection which also plagues the larger BMW's.

Since new, it has had a timing chain rattle, especially when cold. Since I live near the Gulf coast and have always garaged the car, it has never been severe enough to spend the $1000 or so MINI would have charged me to actually fix the problem. This has been a major problem with the R56 and forums are full of folks that have had subsequent catastrophic failures with this item and huge expenses.

Now here's why I'll never buy another BMW, as much as I think their cars are "best in category" in many instances:

Any problems they've had with bad design and shoddy construction they've completely denied and, worse, have blamed them on the customer.

For example, I was told problems I was having with the high pressure fuel pump was because of the gas I was buying. BMW owners were told the same thing. Finally, after years of problems, BMW admitted that there was a problem and recalled the BMW's and replaced the fuel pumps. Except for MINIs, where they just warranted them for longer.

Another example is the timing chain issue. When I complained about the rattle, and I know I was one of thousands, I was told it was because I didn't keep enough oil in the car, which was a load of crap. SEVEN YEARS and after MINI owners spent thousands fixing the problem themselves, BMW finally tacitly admitted the failures and issued a recall. I just had mine done.

The water pump was another recall item, though I didn't have a problem with it and didn't really follow this issue. The thermostat housing is an ongoing issue and fails regularly, but MINI has not done a recall on it. It is stupid design, essentially a complex plastic part (I've heard it called a Jarvik because it looks like the artificial heart) consisting of two halves bonded together and bolted to the side of the engine. Of course, with all those heat cycles and all the bends and flanges and bonding, it eventually cracks. Appparently between 30k and 60k miles, typically. The replacement ones will likely fail in the same time period because, AFAIK, BMW has not redesigned it.

My wife recently fell in love with a BMW 535i. A 2010 with 14k miles for about $32k. I don't often tell her no when she really wants something, but this time no was the answer. I refuse to buy another car from a company that only stands behind its product when forced into a corner. And meanwhile tells the customer that its design flaws are the customer's fault.

Despite the few problems I've personally had, I really like the car. It is great fun to drive and is the most tossable street car I've ever owned. At this point, I think the weaknesses have been addressed and I wouldn't hesitate selling it to a friend. As a matter of fact, a friend has expressed interest in it as a car for his son and I would sell it to him in a minute, though I would certainly detail its history.

So no, I wouldn't buy another new one and I certainly wouldn't buy one with a newly designed drivetrain. If history is any indicator, you'll only be sorting out the design and construction issues for BMW and they won't appreciate the help.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
1/5/14 5:09 p.m.

Same sort of runaround story here. Had my '07 MCS for 8 months and @23k miles before I finally asked about the timing chain rattle after I got it for the third time.

The CSM, who I had gotten to know a bit outside of work flat out told me that he had never heard of such a thing, and when I pointed to the common friend's car in the shop we both knew was in for repairs for the same issue he told me he wasn't supposed to talk about other customer's cars.

Sold the car within 2 weeks.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
1/5/14 5:28 p.m.

Wow, I didn't know these things were this trouble prone. This sounds worse than buying an Audi. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread!

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/6/14 9:56 a.m.

We have an '11 MINI cooper hardtop (non-S). 2 1/2 years of ownership and it's been flawless except for a CEL the first day for a loose oil cap. No rattles or squeaks and we use it pretty hard.

It has the 6 speed manual (the automatics suck). My wife and I both love driving it, taking it out on backroads just to drive with no particular destination in mind. I'd get another, but probably not an S.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
1/6/14 11:25 a.m.

I owned an '09 Cooper S for a while. Loved the driving experience. It felt a lot like a FWD BMW, which is largely what it is. Very fun little car. I didn't have trouble with mine, but I only had it a short time. The interwebz is full of documented issues with the S model. Timining chain tensioner (called the death rattle), HPFP, water pump, etc...

If you want one, I'd suggest getting the non-S model. From everything I've read, they're nowhere near as trouble prone as the S.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/6/14 11:53 a.m.

I would only buy a later R53 (S version), but mainly because I have a fair amount of experience tearing them apart and putting them back together. Since any R53 is long out of warranty, that wouldn't be a concern. I'm torn on the newer R56 models. There are things I like about them better than the early cars. I doubt I'd buy one new since with the amount of miles I drive, I'd burn through the warranty before it was paid for.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/6/14 12:04 p.m.

My wife had a 2005 S 6spd for her daily driver. My story is much the same as those above regarding poor engineering, poor build quality, and a myriad of small annoying issues. I never dealt with the dealer as we bought it used just out of warranty. We bought it from friends who were the original owners and always had it dealer serviced, so I can't even blame the PO.

It was REALLY fun to drive hard, but my wife drives 25 miles each way to work on the Interstate. It beat her to death. She loved that car but says she doesn't miss it at all now and much prefers her new Mazda 6. FWIW, the build quality on the Mazda is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the MINI, and even as a 4dr sedan it gets better mileage. On regular.

There is not an ice cube's chance in hell I would buy a brand new model with that kind of drivetrain. As a mater of fact I wouldn't own a modern BMW at all based on that experience.

Box_of_Rocks
Box_of_Rocks New Reader
1/6/14 2:33 p.m.

Our family has two 2006 MINIs, one a factory JCW, and the other just a plain S with lots of aftermarket stuff thrown at it. Both have been pretty flawless. The S had a remote lock/unlock sensor go bad, which was fixed under warranty. The JCW has had no problems - knock on wood. The ride will never be confused for a Buick, the gas mileage will never be what you think it should, and if you don't do your own maintenance, you may wish to review the penalties for early 401K withdrawal. But hot dang if they aren't fun little cars around town. They're roomy for their size, pretty practical considering the hatchback aspect, and they practically beg to be flogged. They respond really well to a few simple upgrades, such as tires, a rear sway bar, and a 15% supercharger pulley.

If you want something common and super duper extra reliable - stop by your Honda dealer. If you want a fun little knock about with lots of personality - the MINI is a great choice.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
1/6/14 4:04 p.m.

My GF bought a '13 MINI Clubman 6 speed a few months ago. I have to say that I am very concerned about the massive costs that are sure to be coming my way in the form of MASSIVE SPEEDING TICKETS. I have '99 M3 and a '00 Boxster S, but this thing just brings out the idiot in me in a unique way. The "sport" button only makes it worse.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/6/14 4:29 p.m.

My Dad has a supercharged Mini--- an 04 I believe. The only issue he had was a fault in the HVAC system which was fixed under warranty. It does have a few squeaks, but overall has been a great car. Tons of fun, great MPG, and big enough to be usable. I'll probably buy it off of him when he's done with it.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/6/14 4:48 p.m.

My '06 S has been trouble free for the 2 years I've owned it. Not sure how much longer I will have it, but I have no complaints. Other than oil changes, it has needed nothing in the almost 30k miles I have put on it. It now has 97k.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/6/14 6:21 p.m.

Man, I'm glad I searched. Mrs. Unevolved and I are considering picking up a used Cooper S within the next few months for a new runabout for her. I've seen the maintenance issues, and nothing looks too horrible.

Considering I'm someone that dailies a high-mileage E46, does my own maintenance, and considers that a good idea, is the Mini that much different from a similar vintage BMW? I'm seeing timing chain and coolant system problems, which surprise me exactly 0.000 millisurprises. We want a fun, tossable, not-all-that-practical car for the next few years until life forces us to get something a little more useful. So far, I'm still thinking it's a good idea. Thoughts?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DhYqttjSkW4VmNysGOYWCMWZFIoQWwg5SvQ1jqBkxnfWCubsK6Y0HNXtJGUF3NHS