NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/24/16 6:53 a.m.

So I got my first Miata about 6 months ago in non-running condition. I've done alot of work to bring it back to life and now I'm looking at preparing it for track duty. I am 6'4" so fitting into the car comfortably is going to be a challenge. Luckily I am more leg than torso which should make it easier to pass the broomstick test.

So far I have ordered a spec Miata seat which I plan to bolt to the floor and now I am turning my focus to roll bars. I would like something which retains use of the convertible top. I doubt my need to hardtop compatibility because I will buy a Vette at that point. I also would like a built in harness bar so I can run a proper set of belts.

I keep finding my way back to the Hard Dog roll bars, but being a taller person which one should I be looking at? I also see hardtop compatibility is a consideration for some of the bars? Is the hardtop lower or higher than the soft top? I am also open to other brands, but it must be SCCA compliant for SOLO 1.

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but being taller introduces additional challenges that I haven't seen discussed. I know, poor me for being tall.

Also, I'm in Melbourne FL if anyone has a bar for sale.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/24/16 7:21 a.m.

Relevant to my current interests. Kieth?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/24/16 7:59 a.m.

Hardtop bar is a little shorter.
Not sure on the exact difference in height between the two.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
10/24/16 8:19 a.m.

For me I needed the hardtop version (further back + lower - hard dog's website has a schematic for each bar to depict this) to get my legs in the car. That was not going to pass the 2" SCCA broomstick test with a helmet unless I was literally sitting on the floor, and then it was close. So I was looking at a welded-in drop floorpan in addition to the aluminum seat. I said the hell with that and kept tracking my mazda3. :-/ I am 6'2" and more torso apparently.

I am 99% sure both versions of Hard Dog's bars will fit under the hardtop. But the taller more-forward 'non hardtop' one blocks the side latches. Could be fastened in another manner.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/24/16 8:21 a.m.

There are schematics on their web site.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/16 8:24 a.m.

The "Hardtop" version is a little shorter and further back. If you check out the link below and click on the schematics on the right hand side, it will tell you how tall and how far from the windshield frame each roll bar is to give you a better idea of which roll bar will work.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/guide.htm

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/16 1:31 p.m.
RedGT wrote: I am 99% sure both versions of Hard Dog's bars will fit under the hardtop. But the taller more-forward 'non hardtop' one blocks the side latches. Could be fastened in another manner.

This is correct. I own the non-HT bar and it fits under the HT just fine -- the HT has more clearance for a bar than the soft top does anyway. It's just that you can't use the side latches. Either bolt it down or skip it and just use the front.

6'4" is going to be really tough in a Miata. I'm 6'0", and I needed the rear seat mounts cut out and the seat bolted to the floor to gain enough clearance.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/24/16 2:16 p.m.

This is a Keith question. When shopping for an NB rollbar for a friend I called Keith, told him what the situation was, he made (the correct) suggestion and even said that there wasn't any reason to order through FM since they were all drop shipped anyway. I did order through FM because Keith is rad.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/24/16 4:46 p.m.

Based on the feedback above, I may be swapping to a NC or Vetted sooner than expected.

Keith the to courtesy phone please

Toebra
Toebra Reader
10/24/16 11:57 p.m.

6'4" what is your inseam on your pants? If you sit tall in the saddle, you might have a tough time checking all the boxes you want with an NB

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/16 6:36 a.m.

I am only 5'8", so I don't have the height issue. I ended up ordering a bar from Blackbird Fabworx. I don't think they have any magic solution for your situation, but at least it's another vendor option.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/25/16 7:16 a.m.
Toebra wrote: 6'4" what is your inseam on your pants? If you sit tall in the saddle, you might have a tough time checking all the boxes you want with an NB

Inseam is a 36".

Toebra
Toebra Reader
10/25/16 10:20 a.m.

It is about 2 ft to the parcel shelf from the floor behind the seat, plus another 20" gives you 44" You are about 40" from the bottom of your ass to the top of your melon. Figure a few inches for the helmet, and maybe an inch off the floor for the seat bolted to the floor.

I bet there is a local Miata club that has a car you could sit in to see about where you end up. Have you ever sat in a Spec Miata? Is going to be pretty close.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/25/16 11:18 a.m.

Miata roll bars are all a compromise. The taller it is, the further forward it has to sit. The taller you are, the further rearward you need to sit. Subsequently the tallest bars still may not provide sufficient clearance to the heads of taller people, thus resulting in unpleasant head-to-bar interference problems.

I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam and had a Boss Frog Clearview Maxx in mine. When sitting on the bare stock seat pan (with sliders) I would not have technically passed the broomstick test with a helmet on. Racing seat bolted to the floor would still probably have been close. Personally, I would also not recommend the taller bars for any street use if you don't have at least the later (2001+?) high-back seats...I know that you're already planning on this via a racing seat, but it's just a general precaution I like to include in my Miata roll bar opinion posts.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
10/25/16 1:15 p.m.
NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/25/16 5:58 p.m.

Trying my best not to redo the pan if I can help it. If it gets to that point I'll move on to a different car.

Another question. Since I don't care about the hardtop would it make any sense to build my own bar?

If I need to scrap the convertible as well I could and get one of the "bikini/bimini" miata top things.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
10/26/16 1:21 p.m.

Custom tall bar would probably be the simplest answer if you don't care about a hardtop. Bikini top will keep the sun off your head.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
10/26/16 9:46 p.m.

Might also check out the GT3 bar by Blackbird Fabworx. Very nice looking, if a bit spendy...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 10:05 p.m.

Sorry, Keith was out camping in the Westfalia.

All the bars face the same constraints: the top. That's why the tall ones have to move forward. It's why no one manufacturer has a big advantage over the others, despite what the marketing says. The Hard Dog bars are the standard in the marketplace for value and proven performance, which is why we carry them at FM.

For a pure track car, the Hard Core is the way to go, especially if you have a good seat. You can still bolt on a hardtop (faster!) with bolt-on plates, you just can't use the latches. That's not a big problem, you can still pull the hardtop in about 5 minutes.

In this particular situation, I'd get the seat in and see if you can wear a helmet with the top up. If you can't, you'll never find a bar that will fit under the top and pass the broomstick test. If you abandon the top, then you can definitely go taller but it'll be custom.

We HAVE done an NA/NB version of the Transformer bar for a customer. If this floats your boat, drop me a line.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/nc-transformer-roll-bar.html

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/3/17 8:26 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Sorry, Keith was out camping in the Westfalia. All the bars face the same constraints: the top. That's why the tall ones have to move forward. It's why no one manufacturer has a big advantage over the others, despite what the marketing says. The Hard Dog bars are the standard in the marketplace for value and proven performance, which is why we carry them at FM. For a pure track car, the Hard Core is the way to go, especially if you have a good seat. You can still bolt on a hardtop (faster!) with bolt-on plates, you just can't use the latches. That's not a big problem, you can still pull the hardtop in about 5 minutes. In this particular situation, I'd get the seat in and see if you can wear a helmet with the top up. If you can't, you'll never find a bar that will fit under the top and pass the broomstick test. If you abandon the top, then you can definitely go taller but it'll be custom. We HAVE done an NA/NB version of the Transformer bar for a customer. If this floats your boat, drop me a line. https://www.flyinmiata.com/nc-transformer-roll-bar.html

Just now seeing this. I may give you a call. I still have some mechanical things to work out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NiPYvbKDRpAuKSUjHNIfZDDYsYI9LTI0rGCGkLxBKlRpsMWs1dw2yTXDoIq6VImz