RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/23/18 5:43 p.m.

Dana has a 2012 civic, and is looking for a different stereo. No idea of the particulars, but it's a 4 door and has an eco mode button. She just wants Bluetooth.

My typical answer of $100 Kenwood doesn't look like it applies because of the size of the hole in the dash and all the integrated controls.

What should/could I be looking at for an OEM swap? Is that even doable since so much of the car data system runs through the stereo(according to some quick googling)?

She'd rather not have navigation if that's a possibility. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
4/23/18 6:33 p.m.

Does it have an aux port?  One of the Bluetooth aux adapters would work really well:

https://www.anker.com/store/SoundSync-Drive/A3351011

RevRico
4/23/18 6:44 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

It's got an aux and an iPod specific port, but they don't work anymore. We've changed cables a few times, and the devices work everywhere else. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
4/23/18 6:48 p.m.

Ah,  in that case you can do a single or double din with the metra kit.  There is an optional adapter to make the steering wheel controls work.

https://www.crutchfield.com/car/solution/packagefinder.aspx?i=113BT222U&vid=35396&installno=12949&cc=01&mode=ShopPath

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/18 7:31 p.m.

I was gonna say Crutchfield is my go to for car radios.  In my experience, they can talk you through any needs and provide excellent support for installation.

RevRico
4/23/18 7:33 p.m.

So it's sounding like just getting one with Bluetooth from a junkyard civic isn't going to work? 

I guess I can spend some time with a soldering iron fixing the aux port then. 

ITBland
ITBland New Reader
4/24/18 12:30 p.m.

Looking at Civic OEM radios on eBay, it appears that 2012 Civic radios are a one-off, no other models cross reference (it might still be possible, but not without surgery). The non-nav radios seem to have the same connectors, but the premium radios only have phone Bluetooth, not music Bluetooth (I assume you are looking for the latter.) So, aftermarket radio would appear to be your only choice (I second the vote for Crutchfield) outside of the navigation model, or swapping in a jy non-premium with a working AUX, and using an adapter.

One other option is this Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the existing OEM radio. I have used one of the same design in my Toyota (it does both music and phone) and this one claims to be compatible with the 2012 Civic. I might pay a little more and get it from Amazon for an easier return, if it does not work.

HTH!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cmMI261sS7kMWwUZzaeJIOFTsTX7Ez0WUoLoguMRXN5RrApxTmUrbSBlB7xMjfc