irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/13/19 10:04 p.m.

The ones from the 80s, with the quad headlights, before the Hardbody. Especially the 4x4 models. I occasionally see these things pop up and they still look pretty cool. Are they any good, say, compared to a contemporary Toyota pickup? They seem to be a lot less rusty than 80s Toyotas. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/13/19 10:52 p.m.

I had one, an 84, after owning several of the equivalent Toyotas.

Not a bad truck, quality was probably just as good.

The NAPSZ24 engine likes to crack cylinder heads but the 2.0 and 2.2 don't, only the 2.4 is affected.

The 4x4 will have a divorced transfer case, they also were IFS when Toyotas were still solid axle so they should handle better.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
10/13/19 11:09 p.m.

My folks bought a brand new 82 or 83 king cab 4x4. 4 cyl 5 speed, with the twin plug/cylinder. We beat the E36 M3 out of it on a daily basis, and probably put 100K trouble-free miles on it over the next 6 or so years with minimal (horiffically minimal) maintenance.  I actually learned to drive a stick in it, and took my drivers license test in it.  IIRC they had just rebranded to Nissan at that time and were being sold slightly cheaper than a comperable Toyota. Being in the North East, and driving it year-round, we had rust issues (typical for the era) pretty quickly.  First vehicle I ever jumped (repeatedly) First vehicle I ever crashed, etc, etc,etc. A lot of firsts. OK on fuel, relatively nimble, and 4x4 made it pretty unstoppable.

Would not hesitate to buy a clean one if it came up and I was looking.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/13/19 11:36 p.m.

Good trucks. The Napz engines were better and worse than the L20.  Rust, of course 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/14/19 6:14 a.m.

With a properly set up suspension, they will handle better than any pickup should.  I pulled something like 1.06g at the skidpad challenge a few years back.

The Z24 is easily starved for oil in long and hard corners.  I have a broken, bent and burned connecting rod to prove it....

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/19 6:55 a.m.

Frame rust right by the kick up for the rear axle.   If I remember correctly, right where the electric fuel pump is mounted.  Otherwise does small truck things quite well.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/14/19 8:15 a.m.

I test drive a couple before I bought my hardbody.  The only issue I noted was surging due to it still using a carb.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/14/19 8:24 a.m.

I think you should get one and put a VQ, or better yet a VK, in it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
10/14/19 8:50 a.m.

I've passively been looking for a transfer case out of one for a few years.

I've got a few "project ideas" that could make use of one.

They're divorced as already mentioned, fairly compact, all gear, no chain, and offset, all features similar to a Samurai transfer case, but unlike the Samurai, the Datsun has a 1:1 high range.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/19 9:52 a.m.

Rust is the only thing that kills them.  I had an '80 King Cab as my first (loaner) vehicle, until I bought my own car.  Belonged to my grandfather, then my dad.  We drove it to 287k miles and in that time it only needed an alternator and rear wheel brake cylinders for repairs.  

My dad chronically overloaded it.  My little brother and I rode from TN to Canada in the bed.  It was totalled and bought back from the insurance company 2x from people hitting it.  When dad finally deemed it too rusty, it got parked in the back 40 in the woods.  It sat there for like 3 years and someone wanted to buy it.  It fired right up and drove out of there and into the sunset.  

Great trucks, but finding one that isn't rusted to hell will involve digging deep into the backwoods of the southeast.

noddaz said:

Frame rust right by the kick up for the rear axle.   If I remember correctly, right where the electric fuel pump is mounted.  Otherwise does small truck things quite well.

Yeah, ours rusted through right there.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/14/19 3:35 p.m.

Mine was a king cab. 

The jump seat area quickly became known as "the penalty box"

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/14/19 6:20 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I think you should get one and put a VQ, or better yet a VK, in it.

I would be lying if I said I didn't already look into the VQ possibility. The general consensus is it is extremely difficult without a TON of complex fabrication. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/14/19 7:39 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

...and?  Your rally car is so reliable you're building roof racks and tents for fun, maybe it's time for something more difficult cheeky

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/14/19 9:37 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to irish44j :

...and?  Your rally car is so reliable you're building roof racks and tents for fun, maybe it's time for something more difficult cheeky

Difficult things cost money that I don't have (and/or would rather use for rally entry)

This idea is still well behind the Raider/SWB Montero idea anyways (also fits way better in my garage than a long pickup).

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/19 9:55 p.m.

Mine was an anvil. Just as tough and almost as refined. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sMQ34vW575D3CbNTRhm9mVJLsUlNxSFnc0mfBiIyUzks7jz91XfqmmeH3VCNmYrw