1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/13 6:03 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Psssht, we autocross at Portland International Raceway, the greenest and hippiest track of all (they seriously host an all electric car drag night, amongst other events). I can plug it in in-between runs!

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/13 6:08 p.m.

In reply to 92dxman: The Volt, LEAF, i-MiEV, Tesla, and really everyone else, use a single speed transmission that is directly attached to the motor. It's as "automatic" as it is "manual."

Tesla was going to put a two speed box on the Roadster, but they kept breaking. Detroit Electric, if they ship anything, was supposed to have a multispeed transmission, IIRC.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/13 6:12 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: It would be kinda funny if you showed up at the autocross with a Leaf on A6s and a generator so you can recharge it between runs .

Somewhat relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOIAk8TA6b4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/27/13 6:11 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to 92dxman: Neither drives anything like a golf cart (though the Mitsubishi i-Miev sure does). The Leaf has fantastic torque from a stop! I desperately want to put A6's on a Leaf and go autocrossing. The drive is very different from a gas motor. It has torque like a cammed V8 launching off of a trans brake but doesn't make any noise at all.

Yep. I knew electric motors are torquey, but until I drove a Leaf I didn't realize just how much. In my test drive, I had let the car slow down to about 15mph to check out the feel of the aggressive regen braking mode ("B" mode). I then punched the gas. I was expecting the typical 1/2 second lag for a transmission downshift, etc...nothing of the sort here. As soon as my foot went down, the car took off exactly like launching from a trans brake. Sweet. And no, it isn't like driving a big golf cart. It felt a lot like my wife's 2011 Kia Forte hatch...just a ton quieter.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/13 9:28 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: It would be kinda funny if you showed up at the autocross with a Leaf on A6s and a generator so you can recharge it between runs .

Last year at one of the Auto Crosses (?) at Fed Ex Field near DC they had electric cars show up. And there was a generator powered charging station for them if I am not mistaken. It was strange watching the EV hum around the track...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/27/13 10:04 a.m.

I commute about 100 miles; the range is 56 miles right? Volt may be better for me.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/27/13 10:13 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

That's my problem as well. When someone builds a true EV with ~200 mile range in wagon-ish form and sells it for under $40k, sign me up. While the Volt may be a nice car, it doesn't fit my needs.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/13 10:27 a.m.

At the last auto-x that Javelin hosted a guy showed up with a leaf and did fairly well, even without charging between runs. He was behind me in grid and told me that he was leaving on a 170 mile drive directly after the auto-x. He said that a few 20 minute stops at quick-charge stations would be required. I was very impressed.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/13 10:28 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

I think it's more like 90-100 miles. Just plug in her in at work!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
7/29/13 7:08 p.m.
92dxman wrote: The Leaf and Volt look cool (and added enviro. benefits) but I couldn't convince myself to drive something that reminds me as nothing more than a street legal size glorified golf cart. I need something with three pedals to drive on the road. What about a Chevy Cruze?

If you never drove a Leaf or Volt, I could see how popular pre-conceived notions would have you think that. However, if you drive either of these cars, you will most certainly agree they are absolutely not "glorifed golf carts" at all. These are mainstream cars you'd enjoy driving and feel comfortable letting your Mom drive to boot.

Also, I absolutely prefer manual transmissions over automatics, which is why I like EVs...I was thinking about this comment of yours over the weekend. Reasons I prefer manual transmissions to automatics carries over directly to EVs:

Lighter - Manuals are significantly lighter than autos. EV transmissions are significantly lighter than manual transmissions.
More efficient - Manual transmission gear sets are inherently more efficient than automatic trans gearsets, even if you assume a "locked" torque converter. EV transmissions are as efficient or better than most manual transmissions.
Fewer parts - To buy (cheaper), to break (maintenance), to package (underhood space), etc. Manual transmissions are more simple than automatics. EV transmissions are more simple than manual transmissions.
Response - Manuals do what you tell them when you tell them, unlike the slushbox autos we think of typically. With EVs having a single gear reduction, there's NEVER a time when the transmission isn't engaged, unlike both manuals and autos.

So, it seems to me that a single speed gear reduction box without a clutch is an ideal transmission if you have a powertrain that can use it...like an electric motor, which doesn't need a clutch and has an extremely wide power band.

It seems to me that manual transmission fanatics (like me) would be easy converts to EVs. Getting rid of the "third pedal" for the clutch is even more reason to prefer the EV single speed transmission...two pedals isn't an immediate deal breaker for me anymore! EVs are marketed as "automatic" transmissions for the masses, of course, because they are automatic in the sense that you pick a direction and the powertrain does the rest automatically.

Bryce

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/13 9:36 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to 92dxman: Neither drives anything like a golf cart (though the Mitsubishi i-Miev sure does). The Leaf has fantastic torque from a stop! I desperately want to put A6's on a Leaf and go autocrossing. The drive is very different from a gas motor. It has torque like a cammed V8 launching off of a trans brake but doesn't make any noise at all.
Yep. I knew electric motors are torquey, but until I drove a Leaf I didn't realize just how much. In my test drive, I had let the car slow down to about 15mph to check out the feel of the aggressive regen braking mode ("B" mode). I then punched the gas. I was expecting the typical 1/2 second lag for a transmission downshift, etc...nothing of the sort here. As soon as my foot went down, the car took off exactly like launching from a trans brake. Sweet. And no, it isn't like driving a big golf cart. It felt a lot like my wife's 2011 Kia Forte hatch...just a ton quieter.

When we got our first hybrid buses they had to reprogram the accelerators because you could take off from a light and people standing in the aisle would fall down.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ahq5x04f7txPDx3EeXFRFZTvYz7eCKahdDnEfLWXE06Xmd6aokAhUiPMwTujPpxF