1 2
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/17 8:00 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

I think it at least somewhat makes sense with the Fords. The subsequent generation was a pretty significant departure in styling, which has been more or less evolutionary since then, even right up to the latest generation.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/28/17 9:50 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to ultraclyde: I agree it's a little high, I think closer to $7k is in line with what I'm seeing in the local market. Any concerns about the mileage?

246K? no. Mine's got 239k. I mean, maintenance is everything, but stock 7.3s commonly run over 500k if they're well cared for by someone who understands diesels. As miles go up there will be repairs, but the basic motor is one of the most durable ever made. Ask when the glow plug relay / harness was done last. Check the blow-by using the filler cap. Ask if he's been running coolant with SCA additive (required to prevent cylinder sleeve pitting.) Since he has the tuner, I'm betting that there's some way to monitor boost pressure. There was no factory gauge but the ECU reads it, so the tuner may. I use the Torque app on my phone and a bluetooth ECU dongle to see that and other stuff. Stock trucks should make just under 15psi up a hill under full throttle but it takes a minute to build it. Ask if the block heater works, you'll want it in PA.

another tip - you get better results by using the motorcraft/OE sensors and switches on these trucks.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
2/28/17 12:07 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
Ransom wrote:
Ranger50 wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: What does "OBS" stand for in this context? I keep reading it as "Outback Sport" and I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
Old body style.
I had to look it up. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it makes sense to use that term for an era of manufacture of something that's been iterating since the 1940s. In software, when someone offers to name a new version of something new_something or punt the old one to old_something, I offer to strangle them. Three years from now it's completely meaningless. Or you get to try to remember which old_something is which, or differentiate old_something from old_old_something. Or new_old_something. Haven't they got a freaking model code? EDIT: Apologies for the off-topic post. I just short-circuited.
yea but most the older trucks already have a name for there body style, chevy has the square bodies, ford has the bull nose. its not a great term to use, especially now that there are several body style's after these ones. for example, the chevy (ford guys do too respectively) guys use the term NBS (new body style) for the LS engined silverado's, but with every new body style the add another N to it. When you get on the truck forums you will see guys saying NNNBS (new new new body style) which i think is 2012+. At some point those body styles just need to be given a name

Yeah, but GM actually does have platform codes - GMT400, 800, 900, etc. As far as I know, Ford doesn't. It does make things very confusing online now that there have been so many generations of trucks. It probably wasn't as big of a deal when platforms lasted decades but with minor, frequent changes to equipment and styling.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
2/28/17 12:22 p.m.

For a DD I'd go with a 99 to 03 7.3 superduty. I have both but part's availability is better with the SD and m7ch nicer drive and better build quality. OTOH, parts ate incredibly cheap on the OBS and they are stout mechanically

Furious_E
2/28/17 12:25 p.m.

Well damn, finally got a text back from the seller and it's sold.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/28/17 12:45 p.m.

Time for a fly and drive!

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
2/28/17 12:53 p.m.

As far as the "OBS" goes, by 1999, Ford had created a new and distinctive body for their bigger trucks - the "Super Duty." So these trucks (technically 9th gen F-series) were the last of the F250's and F350's sharing a body with the F150's. That, I think, is where you get "old body style."

Yeah, it's weird, but most truck guys would know what you mean when you say it.

(yes, I know those weird 7-lug F250HD's had the same bodies as F150's - I'm just trying to explain the nomenclature)

Furious_E
2/28/17 12:57 p.m.

Seriously, berkeley these rusty north east trucks anyways

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/28/17 3:11 p.m.
(yes, I know those weird 7-lug F250HD's had the same bodies as F150's - I'm just trying to explain the nomenclature)

Actually, The suppository-bodied, 7 lug F-250s were the LDs - Light Duty - in '97 and '98. For those two years the "OBS" body was still available as the F-250 HD. They did this because the SuperDuty redesign wasn't completed untill '99.

For 2 0r 3 years after that (maybe till '01?) you could still get the 7-lug oddball as the "F150 7700" - named for the weight rating.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IashPKxFm2NCIjn9imCI0aAO22TBvyL7wWnuP2YBS8WKgRhpvo2mPOJoO5grCLDz