1 2
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/12 2:00 p.m.

I've always liked the Manta, although the memory of one flipping while street racing against me will always sit prominently in my brain.

MX-6s remind me of grown up Mantas:

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/22/12 1:34 a.m.

Bad news for now, tried to drive over to grab out. Turkey day Traffic wasn't cooperating unfortunately and our schedule was tight to begin with. We ended up running home with our tails tucked between our legs, still have a chance to get it as long as it doesn't sell before the coming weekend....

To be continued...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/12 9:34 a.m.

good luck! We want a build thread!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/22/12 12:31 p.m.

I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/22/12 6:07 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

Hmmmmm, Leslie Neilsen quote???

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/22/12 6:52 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Now for inspiration... the MOST OUTRAGEOUS Manta EVER built anywhere.......

That's cruel and unusual punishment. If I miss this one I'm going to be looking for one from thereafter....

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/22/12 11:44 p.m.

I have a small bumper sunroof one I'd part with if you really get in a pinch, so no worries. ;)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/23/12 7:32 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: I have a small bumper sunroof one I'd part with if you really get in a pinch, so no worries. ;)

Oh, great. That's all I needed to know.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/12 4:14 p.m.

Any news?

mad_machine
11/25/12 4:25 p.m.

informed readers wish to know!

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
11/26/12 4:38 p.m.

I got to see my father over thanksgiving and asked him about his manta.

He was cross shopping a honda civic, and chose the opel because it had more options, which were things included in a rally package. He said it was wheels, VDO gauges (with a non-working tach), a flat black hood and a few other things.

He said the stock carb was horrible, and it would never start on the first try. Reportedly when he swapped a webber with a manual choke all the drivability issues stopped.

In regards to the comment about it having no power, my father said he would always get passed on the hills by "damn honda's" and reports having to use second gear for most hills. I'm sure the gas pedal never met the floor in his ownership, and I'm sure his perception of lack of power stemmed from the damn honda's which he regretted not buying. He had a beetle before it...

He said it was easy to work on but parts were hard to get, had to order them from a buick dealer, said the waterpump was easy to change.

His comment on handling related that he needed chains in the snow.

Fun chat, but I was reminded he is a motorhead with no interest in motorsports or aggressive driving. He did save the dealer brochure, said he'd dig it up.

Hope you save it!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/26/12 11:14 p.m.

He still has it so far as I know, somebody was supposed to look at it this Sunday, but fell through. The ad is still up though he's (oddly) raised the price?

The distance is the issue currently. Hard to make the 5 hour drive there and back during the work week....

I did get my Subaru 50% lowered. Lol, the back end is dropped, the front is sky high. Was moving nicely then started raining. It's definitely been a monday....

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/6/12 4:43 p.m.

http://www.cabrionews.de/katalog/opel/manta.php

mad_machine
12/6/12 9:29 p.m.

I don;t think the manta works as a Cabriolet.. though the GT was just begging to made into a roadster

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
12/7/12 8:12 a.m.

My dad had a '74 Manta he used to pro rally. I was a youngling then, and got a chance to navigate a few TSD's on Sunday's with him. But I remember he would go away for the weekend for 2 day events, I remember at least a POR from the poster he brought home.

If I could find one, I'd rallycross it in a heartbeat. (Waving hello to some fellow rallycrossers I see here.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nc9NHgdJnBf99cYcM0cb5GYjsGkFsXtCqeuJmx3AnKBbLWFwjAlQoojhOedIUsEH