mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
9/17/10 6:11 p.m.

This might belong on the Classic forum, but I don't visit there are much as I should....

1972 station wagon http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1955928110.html

Is this worth a second look? And what are the usual major issues w/ these??

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/10 6:21 p.m.

Looks like an Ascona A wagon to me. The biggest problem with them (IIRC) is rust, followed by parts availability for anything non-mechanical (that's in Germany BTW, I would think the situation is probably worse here).

Mechanically they're very strong and the sedan was raced & rallied IIRC. The wagon is really rare in Germany, not sure if it's the same here.

If the bottom 5" haven't dissolved yet it might be worth looking at and rescueing it.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
9/17/10 6:32 p.m.

Knock it down to $500 and make it into a BABE Rally car? I'm not sure I'd sacrifice a car that rare to the LeMons/Chump Car fiends unless the bottom 5" have dissolved like BoxheadTim mentioned.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/17/10 8:01 p.m.

Yeah, it's what is called Ascona A wagon in Europe, here it's called 1900 wagon. The 1900 cam-in-head engine is simple and used in most Opels of that era, my GT has the basically same engine. 4-speed manual or 3-speed GM AT. Because of the engine interchangeability, engine parts aren't that difficult to find at a speciality store and there are a few around. And some other parts interchange. Body parts are where it's slim pickens. Opels weren't anything special in their day, not particularly quick, average handling of the time. Basically inexpensive basic reliable transportation and because of that they aren't that sought after. Unfortunate because they are decent cars. Might be able to get some body parts from sources in Europe (Germany). As BoxheadTim states rust is the main killer. That is bit more than most non-running Ascona Wagons go for, hopefully it has a sound body for that price. Restored/fixed up they are interesting grocery getters nowadays. It would probably do better than my GT at shows because someone had one back in the day. Try OpelGT.com for more info and experts.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/10 8:01 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Mechanically they're very strong and the sedan was raced & rallied IIRC.

My father brought an Opel Kadett Rallye back with him from spain in 1971 when we relocated back to the US from Rota. Probably the only one in the US. He kept it until 1980 and then sold it as 'just another old opel" never knowing exactly what it was he had. All he knew is that it was great for trackdays as it blew everything in it's class off the track.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/18/10 9:20 a.m.

This is all I know about Opels. A sexed out Manta. It haunts my dreams like a prettier 510.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/18/10 10:25 a.m.

Sounds like a question for board member oldopelguy.

I used to have an Opel Kadette wagon, although mine was a 1967 with the 1.1 liter engine. Mine was a real pile, mainly because it was rusted almost to oblivion. It did always start in cold weather, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oskt6HAPTubodMuxiunIIElQsGntyo8q5bxRCvsEOFqbe2Aiqoow4J4wHCiVsnSI