1 2 3
White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
2/1/12 7:54 a.m.

I love Miatas, but in my current life where I can only have one car, the Miata's small size is becoming more and more of a hinderance - passengers, cargo, even ham radio equipment. It's even starting to become an issue for work, where I may need to transport servers and such to and from client sites. I'm not giving up on the Miata yet, but I'm starting to consider other options.

Like a P71. Cheap for their relatively young age. Definitely big enough. Very very easy to mount ham radios in - many even have predrilled antenna mounts in the roof or trunk lid. Yet I still want something fun to drive. I need to get out and test drive one for myself, but I was rather impressed with the car's performance, handling, and turning radius during a police ridealong I did a few years back (in the front seat, not in the back while wearing shiny bracelets).

I know this car is among the GRM holy trinity of Miata, E30/E36, and P71. Yet I've had trouble finding all the useful morsels of info about them scattered around the forums. And any search on "P71" turns up about a million posts by the user currently known as Javelin. So, as I potentially go looking at these cars, what do I need to know? What should I check? What year should I look for something newer than? 2003, is it? Go ahead and dump all your P71 knowledge here, both for my reference and for anyone else who looks in the future.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/1/12 8:03 a.m.

99 was lowered. I like the stance. Each year got somewhat of an update.

If you plan on using the previous antenna mounts or simply trunk mounting, expect to redo the grounding straps. Their awful and the police are rough on them.

Glasspacks or Flowmasters with a full K&N kit really improve performance and sound.

With the distributorless ignition, there will be little to no radio interference. Have fun with all the space to build a radio rack. Check my rides. Unfortunately, mine is already sold.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/1/12 8:05 a.m.

FWIK the 2003+ is the best years to go for. 2004 got a larger MAF and intake tube. They changed the steering and widened the frame rails for the DOHC 4.6 used in the Marauder. I have a 2000 P71 and have a 5.4L stuffed in there. It's damn tight. If you feel like lurking, www.crownvic.net is a good place. The search function is OK at best, but usually all the good info is stickied. There's a couple of really knowledgeable guys on here about these cars. I just bugged the hell out of them when doing my 5.4 swap. LOL Find one in the south west in order to avoid rust. Good luck and welcome in advance to the P71 owners guild.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/1/12 8:21 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: Yet I still want something fun to drive.

Then for the love of god don't get a P71.

Edit: The 4.6 motor is a dog IMHO. They are really soft and rolly and in every way the least fun vehicle I have ever been in.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/1/12 8:28 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
White_and_Nerdy wrote: Yet I still want something fun to drive.
Then for the love of god don't get a P71.

I could smell the stench of your post before I even clicked. It smells like E36 M3 in here now. Thanks.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
2/1/12 8:55 a.m.

I'm certainly not expecting Miata handling from a car twice its weight. I've been silently following the 5.4 swap - pretty cool. Being my only car at this point, I'm just looking for a runner, nothing fancy. Though of course I'd have to take it to a track day. Or a rallycross. After all, it's already made to hop curbs.

I'm sure any existing antenna mounts would be OK for 2 meters and 220 (what I run now), but for HF I'd definitely want to improve the grounds, like you said. Lots of room for a homemade radio rack, though. 73 de KJ1H

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 9:01 a.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/12 9:01 a.m.

The reference to the Mercury Maurader caught my attention. Not to sidetrack this thread, but I always liked the looks of those cars. What is the opinion on them?

egnorant
egnorant Dork
2/1/12 9:02 a.m.

Having owned 5 running examples of them I must say I like them! (bought 3 more that are blown up...cheap!) Good utility vehicles for everything from delivering pizza to a couple of cross countries from Texas to South Carolina and California

Would have liked cruise control, but for the price I ain't complaining.

Just picked up a civilian 2003 Vic with all the bells and whistles that is getting some new body panels from one of the dead Vics I bought.

The ones I bought are usually sold for one of 3 reasons: wrecked, blown engine or mileage/age policy. Found that the plug for the radiator fans was a bit glitchy and may be the culprit in 2 of my 3 blown up engines. That and Texas summers!

A buddy bought one to replace his wrecked Grand Marquis and swapped out the interior to get rid of the trim with all the holes drilled in them for police stuff and the mismatched seats.

Check around and buy one! If you don't like it...you can usually sell it for a profit!

Bruce

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/1/12 9:06 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: The reference to the Mercury Maurader caught my attention. Not to sidetrack this thread, but I always liked the looks of those cars. What is the opinion on them?

They had the 4.6 DOHC from the NA Cobra. That and some lookie bits, I'm not sure if the suspension was worked over...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/1/12 9:09 a.m.

What about a BMW, Volvo or Jag wagon instead?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 9:10 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What about a BMW, Volvo or Jag wagon instead?

Parts. They cost a lot more.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/1/12 9:23 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
Parts. They cost *a lot* more.

But they get better gas mileage. If you do get a P71, get a later one. One thing we always had trouble with in my buddy's P71 was getting pulled over. We got pulled over all the time (not even doing anything illegal) and got searched. 4 times in one night once.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/1/12 10:08 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:
But they get better gas mileage. If you do get a P71, get a later one. One thing we always had trouble with in my buddy's P71 was getting pulled over. We got pulled over all the time (not even doing anything illegal) and got searched. 4 times in one night once.

I've never had that problem. Actually just the opposite, they usually wave at me when I go blowing by. Had a couple of Austin motorcycle cops wave at me while I was doing 15+ over the speed limit. I just waved at them and they waved back. The whole time I was telling myself, "Oh E36 M3, oh E36 M3, just commit and keep going."

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 10:12 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:
I've never had that problem. Actually just the opposite, they usually wave at me when I go blowing by. Had a couple of Austin motorcycle cops wave at me while I was doing 15+ over the speed limit. I just waved at them and they waved back. The whole time I was telling myself, "Oh E36 M3, oh E36 M3, just commit and keep going."

I had that problem once in a p73. I had close to 600lbs of tools in the back of the car heading north on 95 through Georgia.

The way the car was squatting, I'm pretty sure I looked like I was running drugs. Cop looked in the trunk, laughed, and told me to buy a truck.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/12 10:40 a.m.

Oh hey, hi.

On P71's you want an 01 or newer, period (unless you're going to swap in a 5.4 immediately). Honestly though, I would pony up extra $$$ for an 03+. The new frame, suspension, and rack-and-pinion really make it a much better car, plus hop-up parts are far more readily available (thanks to the Marauder and long build cycle).

On the interior, realize that Ford only made 1 wiring harness for the Vic and GM, so all of the stuff is there. I bought new carpet from eBay for $99, found nice matching seats locally, etc, etc. When I pulled the rubber floor off all of the plugs were there for the power seats. You can easily swap in the multi-way, memory, heated ones from a Grand Ma.

The only real issue with these is that Ford's "engineers" decided to only put 5 threads in the heads for the spark plugs, so they tend to blow out. Some have done it at 20K miles, others have gone 250K without a single issue, it's all luck of the draw. Luckily repairs are pretty simple, if a little nerve-racking for the mechanic. The biggest cost is the new coil you'll have to buy each time.

Mine was a really great car, and I hate to admit it, but I miss it. It's in Florida now and still running great. I'd like to get an 03+ as a project and maybe do a Marauder clone with a 5.4/5-Speed or something else zany.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/1/12 10:55 a.m.

Having HAM antennas, its more likely you would get a dumbass chase you down and yell at you for "impersonating" than get pulled over. Unless you have lights and sirens, which is legal to have but not run on public roads in most states, you won't catch heat from cops. I had some try to buy it.

Edit: (note the call in my signature)

Another Edit: even at 2m I've had ground troubles on the trunk.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
2/1/12 10:58 a.m.

Any info about LSx swaps? I know, I know Chevy in a Ford, but it just makes more sense. To me. A 5.3 would rule in one.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/1/12 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

You insult me.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/1/12 11:11 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Mine was a really great car, and I hate to admit it, but I miss it. It's in Florida now and still running great. I'd like to get an 03+ as a project and maybe do a Marauder clone with a 5.4/5-Speed or something else zany.

I'd love to do an 03+ and swap in the 5.4 DOHC with a supercharger from a 03-04 Cobra with a 6-speed. Yaaay

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/1/12 11:12 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:

what

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/1/12 11:13 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Any info about LSx swaps? I know, I know Chevy in a Ford, but it just makes more sense. To me. A 5.3 would rule in one.

I strongly, STRONGLY considered this... But the amount of crap involved made it more cost prohibitive than the 5.4 swap. You're right, lots of power outta the box with lots of big power bolt ons. I'm not gonna hate on you for the idea.... Too much.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/1/12 11:16 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: The reference to the Mercury Maurader caught my attention. Not to sidetrack this thread, but I always liked the looks of those cars. What is the opinion on them?
They had the 4.6 DOHC from the NA Cobra. That and some lookie bits, I'm not sure if the suspension was worked over...

they're heavier than a P71. they cost a lot more to buy. they have more horsepower than a stock 'vic, i guess. but my 5.4 P71 is meaningfully faster and cost less to build than the mercury. i think fomoco had the right idea with the marauder in general, but i'd rather have more torque than more horsepower.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/1/12 11:33 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: But they get better gas mileage. If you do get a P71, get a later one. One thing we always had trouble with in my buddy's P71 was getting pulled over. We got pulled over all the time (not even doing anything illegal) and got searched. 4 times in one night once.

Yes, lets delve into this. I feel like I'm missing some pertinent information.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/1/12 11:36 a.m.

i feel like when you go and post stuff like that, you do discredit yourself somewhat.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
beN6Bc0PE6aYmmxyTrGLdjBAM2vNWC7GmizbYHpGxdb4yCNOOeYp2ZDv21AEQdHu