1 2 3
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 5:01 p.m.

i got a real world 20 highway mpg with fresh tuneup on a 65k mile 99 3.55 geared car.

i was not impressed. it was a fun car to own for a week. the 4.6 just lacks the balls (torque) that a heavy car needs to be fun. it was a comfortable ride, commanded GTFOMW(get the eff outta my way) from other drivers, and was not bad in the winter with altimax arctic tires. on the firestone "cop tires" it was crap in real winter driving conditions.

i saw a 6.0 LS swapped one once, i would totally rock that. i'm sure i'll do it one day too.

check frame of 98-02 cars very carefully directly below the firewall for rot, mine went there by 75k and needed scrapped.

and no matter what some people say, i have never seen a difference in quarter mile times from any stock p71 i've ever seen run from 98-08 so don't buy the "omg you need to get one with PI heads or you are slowwww" crap floating around the internets. it's just that - crap. you're slow no matter which 4.6 you get.

just my .03

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
2/6/12 7:13 a.m.

You can expect city mileage as low as 13mpg. Umm.. if you're driving them like I do. As taxi cabs. Also the cabins are very hot. And they have that type of heat/A/C that runs the compressor on defrost and mix no matter where the temp dial is. Seats are awful get power ones. It's already been said but these cars do NOT handle good. But that's it for the negatives. Braking is good for such a large car and they are relatively fun to drive in anger. Plus it's not unusual to get over 300k out of one of these without so much as a trans rebuild.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
10/22/14 10:08 p.m.

Had a strange thought the other day...

Could you put a Powerstroke turbo diesel from a van into a Crown Vic?

chada75
chada75 New Reader
10/23/14 4:17 a.m.

Yes. In reply to stroker:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AEsiUSCGTAychathN5oYVCcELwBOJrPozsmiedaJGsIwZZE6uEEZl4p75uaNc7Xi