1 2 3
markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
9/29/16 10:49 a.m.

Don't forget about the PS pump. Another problem area that gets pretty expensive. Can't remember if Porsche, or anyone else came up with a fix. Total PITA to R&R.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister New Reader
9/29/16 2:27 p.m.

overpriced, nightmare to maintain, drive like trucks. Spend half as much and get a nice 996.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
9/29/16 2:31 p.m.

Spend half as much and get what I consider to be a far worse car. No thanks.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/29/16 2:33 p.m.

They don't drive exactly like the cars before or after them, but they're still enjoyable.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
9/29/16 3:17 p.m.

Again, personal desires/opinions. For a DD, I love the 996 but for a visceral option, I'd go with a lightweight early car with a big engine.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
9/29/16 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Mister Fister:

Not half. Maybe in the 2/3rd region.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/16 3:18 p.m.

Hopefully you will end up with the 964 you're chasing and you'll love it. No need to listen to the naysayers. I wouldn't bother with a 996 either. They're simply unattractive to me. Get what you want and enjoy it!

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
9/29/16 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Mister Fister:

I don't get the nightmare to maintain or drive like trucks comments at all and I own all kinds of cars. However, after those comments, I'm curious as to what kind of cars you have?

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
9/29/16 5:17 p.m.

My car has the plastic manifold and no head gaskets. My understanding is that the only way to be sure is to go by the engine number. You should be ok with the 1992.

Can we all agree to start putting the 996 posts another thread? The OP is asking about a 964 and has made it clear that he's not interested in a 996 - this 996 vs 964 sounds like a bunch of pretentious children fighting about what the best color is.

Nathan J

(take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not a real 911 owner - since car is post 1989 - so "not a real 911", I only have one 964, I've only rebuilt the motor and distributor once, I try to help car guys, not just Porsche guys, and like all sorts of cars. Note that the the front trunk makes an excellent change table.)

D2W
D2W Reader
9/30/16 11:36 a.m.

Buy what you want, be prepared for some possible expensive repairs, enjoy the hell out of it.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/16 11:44 a.m.

This is like when I posted I was going to get a C6 Z06 people posted about how I should get a C5 Z06 instead even after I said I didn't want one.

Except, this is way worse.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
9/30/16 5:55 p.m.

Yeah, there was serious thread creep here. I get it, the 996 is newer and cheaper. That doesn't mean I want one though.

So I drove the car today, even though it still doesn't have the rebuilt dizzy installed. It drove well, no weird noises, smells, clunks etc. Handling was tight, shifting was good.

Has some small issues right off the bat, I need to drive it again once the dizzy is fixed. If it then has the power I expect, I'll call the owner, make an offer contingent on it having a clean PPI and go from there.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/16 11:38 p.m.

This video might help push you towards buying it!

Great video

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/6/16 4:38 p.m.
overpriced, nightmare to maintain, drive like trucks. Spend half as much and get a nice 996.

I've only driven one 996 (mine) and one 964 (Mazdeuce) and i would probably do a straight up trade for the 964 even if it wasn't worth over twice as much. Just my .02.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g8XPfpJyoGnd3EBoYn2pintYMiDcFHK921KX8Wwb5XPsAX9yuXlglZiEO2N5M9yO