stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/18/16 6:11 p.m.

Can anyone reference a good book/video for learning how to properly rivet sheet metal, preferably to a steel/aluminum space frame?

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
11/18/16 6:23 p.m.

http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints_sheetmetal

From the EAA site. Building an airplane is similar to building a race car.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/18/16 6:43 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

I tried the EAA website but wasn't able to find that section. Thanks. Anyone else doing any significant riveting in their builds?

jamscal
jamscal Dork
11/18/16 7:15 p.m.

I've been doing thousands of pop rivets lately...aluminum skin to steel frame put together with HF pneumatic riveter. Drill hole, insert rivet, pull trigger Using 3/16" aluminum rivets...steel mandrel.

Here is a thread with some info on solid rivets if you're going that direction:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/1495226-solid-rivet-tech.html

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
11/18/16 8:02 p.m.

I reassembled the triumph's leaf springs. Used 3/8" round bar for rivets to hold the strap to a leaf. Riveting consisted of an anvil, the round bar and a bfh - not that my method helps you - but same principle as a solid rivet, rivets, air hammer and a bucking bar. for a chassis - fit the panel - clamp it or cleco - drill and pop rivet

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/18/16 8:14 p.m.

I've riveted "some stuff" together. You need to clamp the pieces together really well, drill your hole, put the rivet in, put your backup behind it (backup should have a dimple in it to catch the round end of the rivet), the rivet needs to be a certain percentage of the diameter longer than what you are riveting (I forget the percentage, sorry, LOOK IT UP, I think it's like 3x or something) then you can rivet. You form the head and swell the rivet. You can use a tool specifically for that, which I bought from an aircraft supply house, that goes in a pneumatic hammer, or you can use a ball peen hammer and lots of time, or make your own tool from something like a large punch and a dremel tool or drill, or you can squeeze the head on there, depending on the application, with a modified bolt cutter.

To find some more riveting examples, google up "how to make an AK47 receiver from a flat." NOT THAT I WOULD KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/16 10:08 p.m.

The EAA'S Tony Bingelis is who you need to find books by.

Riviting tip: once you start, do not stop riviting until you achieve the desired deformation. Never start hammering it again. It creates stress risers. Not too big of a deal with a car, but broken airplanes can kill you.

Pushrod
Pushrod New Reader
11/19/16 7:48 a.m.

I can second the Bingelis books - I'm fortunate that our local library has two of his on the shelf. Also excellent is Carroll Smith's Prepare to Win, that'll get you squared away...

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
11/19/16 8:59 a.m.

Check out this book. I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Fabricators-Handbook-Ron-Fournier/dp/0895868709

Rog

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/19/16 4:50 p.m.

The wing on the Slamther is held on with several 3/16" rivets. Just measure, mark, measure again, mark again if necessary, drill, rivet, and enjoy a damn strong connection.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/19/16 6:25 p.m.

AC 43.13 Chapter 4 section 57 onward. Free from the US government.

Good enough for airplane (in lieu of manufacturer specific instructions) good enough for car.

Here's the link to to the chapter index on the FAA page.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/19/16 6:37 p.m.

Cherry rivets. Thats all you need to know.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/19/16 7:30 p.m.

Cleco's help hold things together while riveting.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0f0n2uCfFQuCxx8dtDYTFpmMt4vvts8Len3tX2ujVmhGIAMw2GY5cT75UWazZp4g