Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand None
6/21/16 1:44 p.m.

I've been interested in RX7s for a while, and now that I've graduated college and have a bit of extra cash, I think it's time to finally get one. Between the SA/FB, FC, and FC3s, which RX7 do you think would make the best fun weekend and beginner HPDE/autocross vehicle? I've got about $5000 set aside for the initial purchase.

Thanks!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/21/16 1:53 p.m.

I prefer the SA chassis, but the easy button here is the FC. Definitely the easiest to live with an a regular basis, but not nearly as cool as the early cars in my opinion. The FC in turbo form is a great car, but be aware of the bad things that happen with too much boost in a rotary. Oh yeah, and keep fresh oil in it, and never over heat the engine even a little.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/21/16 2:11 p.m.

Thanks for the input!

The SA is probably my favorite looking of the three. I've heard all sorts of conflicting opinions on the handling though. From a pure performance standpoint, I really like the FC turbo, but I'd be worried about keeping it cool on the track. Maybe I'm overthinking things

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/21/16 2:15 p.m.

The SA is my favorite(I'm biased), but not nearly as sexy as the FD. I don't think I could own an FD even though it's my dream car. The FC turbo is a great car. I don't think I would worry about keeping one cool. Get good cooling system parts, and a good mechanical gauge, and have fun. I'm sure there is plenty of aftermarket stuff to keep one cool.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/16 2:20 p.m.

The 1st Gens have many parts that are No Longer Available.

The NA 2nd Gens can be fun and reliable if you look after them. The Turbo cars are a hoot.

If I was going to buy one today, I'd be looking for one of the following:

NA- 86-87 Sport model or an '88 GTU (and only the '88 GTU). The GXL is also a possiblity, since they had the LSD, too.

Turbo: The best possible one I could find.

79sa
79sa New Reader
6/21/16 8:09 p.m.

If performance is your goal, and are looking for aftermarket avaliablilty, Id avoid a 1st gen. There simply isnt much out there for them right now. On a plus side they can be had cheap.

79sa
79sa New Reader
6/21/16 8:12 p.m.

Oh and if you dont know much about a rotary,, take someone with you that does. If it dosent start when its warm it should be avoided (unless your interested in a rebiuld). Ask the current owner if they premix. (2 cycle oil right in the gas tank)

Turbine
6/21/16 9:23 p.m.

I've been trying to learn more about them, but I've never really had any firsthand experience with a rotary. Would you recommend running premix and leaving the OMP or deleting it entirely?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/16 9:48 p.m.

Leave the OMP and premix a bit of 2 stroke in the gas tank. On the '89 and later cars, the OMP is electric and tied into the engine managment system. Don't use a ton, or you'll destroy your cats fast. Opinions vary as to how much to use- I used to use about one ounce per gallon.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/16 10:28 p.m.

FC turbos in your budget in decent condition are getting pretty hard to find, which is why I ended up with an RX8 after entertaining dreams of owning another turbo RX7. And as mentioned, parts can be a problem - the older you go the harder it'll be to find stuff.

I've owned one of each generation RX7, all with turbos (yes, including the FB - mine was an Elford Turbo). I find FCs sweeter handling than the FBs, at least once you disable the rear wheel steer. The FD is in a completely different league though, both price and handling wise.

Turbine
6/22/16 6:02 a.m.

An FD is my eventual dream car, but the market is kinda ridiculous on them now.

I've thought about RX8's too, but the only ones in my price range are 04's with engines that are either blown up or on their way out.

whenry
whenry Reader
6/22/16 7:43 a.m.

I have been chasing SA(or first gen) RX-7 for some time now. When I was racing RX-3's in ITA, I kept a RX-7 as DD for development purposes and want to relive those fun days. It is very difficult to locate a "good" 7. Most have been ragged out and are candidates for LS swaps more than rotary rebuilds; a very very few are still intact in stock condition. And of course, if I ever locate a good candidate, I will be pulling all the limiting stock parts off the car to upgrade the performance ASAP. I am thinking truck port 13B with holley or other carb and the Racing Beat exhaust. Unfortunately, there arent many folks left who know what they are doing in street porting. I had a GTU-s with a enduro rebuild by ISC that was an incredible car;also a GSL-SE with the above referenced 13B and carb setup that could run with any street car of its day.

java230
java230 Dork
6/22/16 9:34 a.m.

Ill just leave this here..... NMNA been for sale for awhile. I am tempted every time I see it.....

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/22/16 9:39 a.m.

I have an 87 Sport for Lemons and an 87 GXL for my hillclimb car. I can't suggest them enough. $5k will get you a pretty good S4 model.

One ounce premix per gallon of gas.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/22/16 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Turbine:

My budget was up to $7k and even then, good turbo FCs and even really nice GTUs were out of my price range, at least here out West (cars seem to be less expensive the further East you go). But finding a good RX8 also took quite a while within that budget. Heck, I looked at a few turbo FCs in that price range and couldn't hightail it out of there quickly enough.

The other issue is that most SAs/FBs run 12As and new rotor housings for those have been unobtanium for a while now. I'd definitely go for something with a 13B.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/22/16 10:24 a.m.
whenry wrote: I have been chasing SA(or first gen) RX-7 for some time now. When I was racing RX-3's in ITA, I kept a RX-7 as DD for development purposes and want to relive those fun days. It is very difficult to locate a "good" 7. Most have been ragged out and are candidates for LS swaps more than rotary rebuilds; a very very few are still intact in stock condition. And of course, if I ever locate a good candidate, I will be pulling all the limiting stock parts off the car to upgrade the performance ASAP. I am thinking truck port 13B with holley or other carb and the Racing Beat exhaust. Unfortunately, there arent many folks left who know what they are doing in street porting. I had a GTU-s with a enduro rebuild by ISC that was an incredible car;also a GSL-SE with the above referenced 13B and carb setup that could run with any street car of its day.

I may be selling my two owner early production (5/78) SA real soon. Not that I want to as it's my favorite car of all time, but I've realized that I have only put maybe 500 miles on it in two years. Not really fair to the car in my opinion. I don't see myself putting more miles on it anytime soon either. It really needs to be driven. I will regret selling it, and even don't like typying this out, but it is probably the best thing to do. I will let you guys know ASAP.

Chris

Turbine
6/22/16 6:46 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Yeah. I'm already noticing how hard it is to find something decent in my price range in my area. Meanwhile, 944's are everywhere oh well!

I might be able to stretch my budget a little bit after I sell my urs6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nxPyqO31D0TrKkKAGK5md4wHXhGkULAbcqCyXzJzfOkRIaCbndysQEpfqO0JiIHZ