bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/28/15 7:40 p.m.

09 2.5i AWD Auto 80k miles $7500

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/28/15 7:43 p.m.

Wagon or sedan, and for what purpose? Both are pretty good options, though that generation has picked up some eccentricities (hard to install an aftermarket radio) and is flabbier than the Impreza with a worse rear suspension design for, say, rallycross.

The interior is surprisingly nice, especially if you're used to an Impreza or Forester.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/28/15 10:23 p.m.

Sedan for SWMBO to DD 1000 miles a month.

I am concerned about the high mileage I'd rather see here get something newer like 2 years old.

What services would an 09 with 80k need done? when is the belt due? I see a few newer on CL that have had work done, Motor or head gaskets etc....

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/15 10:39 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Timing belt is due at 105 months or 105k miles so you have some time on that maintenance. The transmission is the old 4EAT and I would drain and fill the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done. Head gaskets leak externally so thats easy to check.

If you are thinking newer and she wants a Subaru the CVT started the next year and the chain driven FB20 started in 2014.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/28/15 11:44 p.m.

I want an EcoBoost Flex or a CTS-V LS 6 speed.

I'm a wagon guy so the Flex would make me happy.

The CTS I'd want to autocross.

She previously veto'd a Subi I'm not sure she knows what she wants.

We looked at a Focus and she said "oh that's small".

I pointed out the Subi was small too...

We looked at a Flex and the 20" wheels scared her "That's huge!".

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
8/29/15 3:20 a.m.

I think that might be the first time I have heard someone call 80k high miles. Its a bit older and has had a decent amount of stuff replaced, but my dads 96 Legacy has over 440k now.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/15 7:12 a.m.

I bought a nice looking 2005 exactly one year ago. It had 80,000 miles on it. The engine appeared to have been well maintained and there were no signs of oil leaks. At 83,000 miles, both head gaskets were leaking and I pulled the engine out.

The interior quality is a huge step down from a Honda Accord.

The happiest day I had last year was the day that I sold it. I really wanted to love that car. I lost three thousand dollars on it in four months.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/15 8:26 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

This is her car bro. If its a sedan SHE wants then Camry, fusion, accord, and 6 are the way to go. If SHE wants wagony then cx5, crv, and rav4.

Some folks have to have Subaru but if you don't have to worry about blind loyalty I think there are better choices out there. And this is coming from a Subaru guy...

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/29/15 9:06 a.m.

Oj - Yep that is what I think too.

I feel that 80k is high miles because were going to keep it 15 years and put 200 on it.

I don't have the time or inclination to do major work and we have enjoyed very reliable vehicles so far.

We looked at a Fusion and she liked it but after sleeping on it declined because it like the same car she has (a lighter lower powered version) 00 Sable 24v Luxo Autobahn cruiser. Has been a great car but it is getting to the point where any major repair will total it.

I think Ill get her to look at a 6 and see what happens. (I still want a Flex)

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/15 8:01 p.m.

I got my 2005 with 17k on it and have put almost 100k on it. All major service was done at the dealer and we change the oil at 3k not the factory recommended 7k. Two wheel bearings and a cat covered by warranty is all we have done. I have the 5 speed so I cannot speak to the auto. Biggest problem is that I cannot rationalize buying another car because this just keeps running great

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/15 8:09 p.m.

If you look hard enough, you can find one in right hand drive. They were often used as rural mail carriers. Totally legal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CRaA52nIvBje9HK3mVJhETmAuvlFZm39PgJQ7inNdZ3mrmzWpISS6SSfsgpSHbHR