skeze
skeze New Reader
12/5/10 1:50 p.m.

Here's my situation. I have found a ton of really great racing shocks that I can use that would be far less of a hit to my build budget than "street stock" shocks, but the problem is this all of the rod ends are "heim joint" thingies,(you have to forgive me I am a Gardener).

The stock shocks use just a straight mount with a nut on top to attach the shock to the mounting point of the unibody.

I am not familiar with the nomenclature that is assigned to each and every component as I don't have much experience with it,but what I do know is what things look like. So what I have done is rendered an illustration that depicts what I have in mind. Also I am by no means an engineer or a drafts man so again ,you will have to forgive me of my ignorance.

Here is the Illustration;

figure A. depicts the bracket i have designed to be mounted with a screw.

Figure B. depicts the bracket to be mounted with a bolt.

Figure C. shows an illustration of how the stock shock is mounted to the mounting point of the unibody.

Figure D. obviously depicts a side view.

What I am asking to be enlightened on is the proper nomenclature of the bracket so that i may be able to find one for purchase,and also which do you think will be better to mount the bracket, figure A. or figure B.

Thanks for any help you guys can assist me with...

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
12/5/10 2:02 p.m.

Look at a Pegasus or Summit Racing catalogue. Prebuilt mounts are available. You just have to measure and weld.

skeze
skeze New Reader
12/5/10 2:15 p.m.
fastmiata wrote: Look at a Pegasus or Summit Racing catalogue. Prebuilt mounts are available. You just have to measure and weld.

what are these mounts called because for the last week I have not been able to turn anything up that resembles what i am looking for

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/5/10 2:23 p.m.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=SHOCKMT

skeze
skeze New Reader
12/5/10 2:28 p.m.

freaking awesome! thanks

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/5/10 2:47 p.m.

Glad to help!!! Just keep in mind that if you intend to use these on anything other than a Miata, I will deny that under oath that I offered this information to you!!!

Although I did use a set of those to mount a motorcycle shock to my cat when his hips went bad.

skeze
skeze New Reader
12/5/10 3:57 p.m.
grafmiata wrote: Glad to help!!! Just keep in mind that if you intend to use these on anything other than a Miata, I will deny that under oath that I offered this information to you!!! Although I did use a set of those to mount a motorcycle shock to my cat when his hips went bad.

it's going on a 1995 Mercedes C220 So I'm guessing the quote kinda trumps the denial

I imagine the weld in mount might work, but I was thinking more along the lines of a fasten mount rather than weld in as it'd be kinda hard to reverse a weld as opposed to a fastening. so are you saying you wouldn't use this on anything but a miata or you wouldn't endorse using this thing on anything heavier than a miata or a gimpy Cat?

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/5/10 4:15 p.m.

The. Miata comment was simply because the two people who posted to you about this were myself and fastmiata.

Anywho, maybe you could weld the mount to a mounting plate of some sort, and then bolt the assembly in?

Not real familiar with Merc's, so no idea if i've helped or hurt...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4e25KNNWAjlXLGvtOv1fcL51x9mEzuIKLLeXjyFIgexvOIkPwRN6WH0dqzOdHxzI