1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/2/20 10:45 a.m.

Purchased from a private seller. MVA (Maryland's version of the DMV) is closed. I have AAA, but admittedly haven't contacted them as of yet, I suspect that's probably option 1, followed by reaching out to independent tag and title companies? 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
4/2/20 11:14 a.m.

Here in Texas they simply said don't worry about it until the dust settles. Everyone gets a free pass. 

Being friends with over 50 police officers, I can assure you, they aren't pulling anyone over for anything. They're simply keeping the wolves at bay and only engaging the public when something dangerous is happening. 

TR7
TR7 Reader
4/2/20 11:43 a.m.

Similar problem in NJ, bought a car on Sunday morning, Sunday night they announced all DMVs are closed, inspections and registrations are suspended. Tags and title your SOL. 

womp womp =\

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/2/20 11:45 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

In PA at least, all the AAA offices are closed as nonessential. I was still able to get to my insurance guy at 5pm in a Friday, but it doesn't look good for title services. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/2/20 1:48 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

There is a local AAA that has an office and service center, as auto service is essential, I'll try giving them a call to know how the dance will go. 

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/20 1:52 p.m.

Same with OH, both the BMV and title offices are closed. You can do online renewals, and they have a few places doing CDL sstuff

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 1:55 p.m.

SC has also said to not worry about expired tags or licenses until July. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/20 1:57 p.m.

tag offices are still open here in NC with limited hours and dmvs are by appointment only and only cdl driving test

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/2/20 1:59 p.m.

I got plates today.

I had to schedule 6 days out. It was quite pleasant. Got there 30 min early and waited in my car for a phone call. There were no more than 4 customers in the building. Each counter had a cough shield and was sanitized between each customer. Got in and out with new plates for my wife's new car.

The down sides. I had to go to the neighboring county to get them because they were the only one open. I noted that I needed to renew a driver's license as well. They did not read the notes and I have to schedule again to get my license renewed.

EDIT: Locatoin; St Louisish area.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/2/20 2:33 p.m.

Also in PA, all the local tag places are closed.  Our Mercedes should arrive in about a week and a half from CA...

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/20 2:39 p.m.

My drivers license expires next month.  The official story in Iowa at this point is not to bother about it.

octavious
octavious Dork
4/2/20 3:55 p.m.

Our county in TN closed it down to one drive up window. I think they are doing everything but driving tests.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/2/20 3:58 p.m.

Let me know what you hear capndownshift

If I get my suspension together before this lifts, I'd love to have my bugeye ready to go on the road. I have title, but not tags/reg.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/2/20 5:02 p.m.

You apparently can do it by mail.  This is a link to the MVA COVID-19 frequently asked question page: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/covid-19-faq.htm

Patrick (Angry is a Wanker)
Patrick (Angry is a Wanker) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

In Ohio you're good to go.  I'm going to get the mustang out because why not.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/2/20 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Angry is a Wanker) :

Haven't lived in Ohio in 16 years. I miss some of the simplicity.

I'll have to do the mail thing with the mva. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
4/2/20 8:35 p.m.
Patrick (Angry is a Wanker) said:

In reply to Apexcarver :

In Ohio you're good to go.  I'm going to get the mustang out because why not.  

They could have maybe done some sort of drive-up thing here in OH too, but since the lines were so long due to the new ID requirements they had to shut 'em down. My local BMV (Alum Creek Drive) had a large seating area filled with people when I was last in around March 1. Can't have anything like that now.

XLR99 said:

Same with OH, both the BMV and title offices are closed. You can do online renewals, and they have a few places doing CDL sstuff

Ohio is like the wild West on the roads right now.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 9:00 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
XLR99 said:

I've done 100+ in 3 different vehicles in the last 2 days.  On backroads not the highway.  The mustang has no title.  I'm going to drive with the expired plate off my impala.  They're not pulling people over for expired plates so it shouldn't attract any attention.  Haven't seen police anywhere nearby lately anyway, and if i was a cop I wouldn't be pulling people over asking them to hand me anything.  I think at this point they're probably on the main roads and highways pulling people over to check where they're going.  As long as your answer is to the grocery store or work at essential business or to the park for a walk you are good.  I'll probably throw my reusable bags in the car just in case.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
4/2/20 9:33 p.m.

Not in my town; the cops are parked up and down Main Street all day while others are driving around town a lot.

Patrick said:
XLR99 said:

I've done 100+ in 3 different vehicles in the last 2 days.  On backroads not the highway.  The mustang has no title.  I'm going to drive with the expired plate off my impala.  They're not pulling people over for expired plates so it shouldn't attract any attention.  Haven't seen police anywhere nearby lately anyway, and if i was a cop I wouldn't be pulling people over asking them to hand me anything.  I think at this point they're probably on the main roads and highways pulling people over to check where they're going.  As long as your answer is to the grocery store or work at essential business or to the park for a walk you are good.  I'll probably throw my reusable bags in the car just in case.

On 70 heading towards Columbus if your not running 85-90 your getting passed. On my way home yesterday rumor has it I was setting on cruise going 115. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/3/20 7:27 a.m.

Looks like they are using the parking lot of the local MVA for a drive through testing location... (from reading online, I havent driven anywhere in a week)

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
4/3/20 9:55 a.m.
Patrick said:
XLR99 said:

On 70 heading towards Columbus if your not running 85-90 your getting passed. On my way home yesterday rumor has it I was setting on cruise going 115. 

Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't been on an Interstate that wasn't inside the city limits since this whole thing started. Might have to look into this.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/3/20 10:10 a.m.

Funny and somewhat related, I found myself on Hyw Rt2 here in Ohio the other day in my F250.  I was passed like I was standing still by a truck.  I looked down at my speedo and I was doing just 55-ish on this 70 mph road.  With no traffic around to gauge myself, I was doing a poor job managing my speed.  Absolutely zero other cars on the road near the two of us.  

Earlier on that same trip in The Gov't Mule I got a "knowing wave" from another local cop car that I passed.  If they ever get really strict on nonessential movement and driving, for sure I will travel in this truck due to it authoritative stance.  

Recent pic, yesterday at the county composte site unloading a bed full of leaves from yard spring cleaning. 

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
4/3/20 11:35 a.m.

In NY you can do a bunch of stuff online.

I recently renewed my FiST registration.  Could have got new plates but didn't need them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sy3Qd2G4502kucvexroFbJC4gmUz3arHYYHYs9hNry0nBkxqv2hw4rKHJX86C4cf