Turbine New Reader
11/9/18 10:27 a.m.

I’m an idiot. 

Moving things around in my garage last night, I knocked a section of roll cage tubing onto the rear quarter panel of my e36. It left a nice dent, a thumbnail sized gouge in the paint, and I cursed myself for about half an hour afterwards. 

It’s not a huge problem, but I can’t look at the car without noticing it now, which kinda pisses me off lol How should I fix it? I’ve used touch up paint pens in the past, but they were for much smaller chips. Would one work here? I’ve found a few places that sell touch up paint, but I’d have to spray it, and my paint skills are lacking to put it nicely. 

CJ Reader
11/9/18 10:35 a.m.

Are you thinking about just the chip or getting the dent as well?  If the dent as well, any access to the back side of the panel?

Turbine New Reader
11/9/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

I’d like to take care of both eventually. Not sure about panel access either. I know I can’t get it through the wheel well at least. Maybe it’s accessible through the trunk, but I kinda doubt it. 

akylekoz Dork
11/9/18 1:34 p.m.

Man I hate when that happens.  That E36 M3 is exactly why I can't have nice things.

edizzle89 SuperDork
11/9/18 3:10 p.m.

I have a few spots on my black Genesis about that size too. I plan on trying some of the wife's black nail polish on it just so it doesn't totally stand out.

CJ Reader
11/9/18 6:45 p.m.

If you can't push out the dent (and don't want to pay for paintless dent removal), you are left with filler of some kind,  That means spraying primer and paint.

Our Preferred Partners