1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/15/19 10:20 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

If Black Bear Pass is the worst it has to offer, anything with full-time 4WD and an offroad-worthy amount of ground clearance will do it no problem. Stock 4Runner, Xterra, or Frontier/Navara would do it.

Yeah.  I'll admit a have a desire to do the TAT in the 'wrong' vehicle for fun.  But when the consequences are getting stuck and needing to get pulled/winched out, that's one thing.  When the consequences are being stranded on top of a mountain or going over the edge, that's a different story.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
7/15/19 12:40 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Vehicle recovery on the Colorado high passes in some places is non existent, in others eye wateringly expensive.  Not only that but there isn't space for it to sit there, if it does, nobody else can go past in either direction. 

I get trying to do something in the "wrong" vehicle for fun but it's not just you up there.  Having a vehicle plug up a trail in both directions for a day(s) really can mess everyone else's trip up too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/15/19 12:41 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Vehicle recovery on the Colorado high passes in some places is non existent, in others eye wateringly expensive.  Not only that but there isn't space for it to sit there, if it does, nobody else can go past in either direction. 

I get trying to do something in the "wrong" vehicle for fun but it's not just you up there.  Having a vehicle plug up a trail in both directions for a day(s) really can mess everyone else's trip up too.

Yeah, we are on the same page here, perhaps my post above did not convey that.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/15/19 1:13 p.m.

For anyone who has Motor Trend On Demand, go watch the Dirt Every Day guys...they do some stuff like rock-climbing in trucks I can't even believe. They did a "cheap Jeep" challenge with XJs, and one had a locker, one had a winch, and one had a lift/big tires...they all had various levels of getting stuck but then getting unstuck and making it up the trail. IMO if you had all of those combined (locker/winch/small lift/decently big tires) you could conquer almost anything. As long as you don't care too much about your rocker panels, of course.

And if you were gonna do it in the "wrong" vehicle like a Safari Porsche or something...doing it in a convoy with actual trucks behind you would probably help.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
8I6qq2cCen7cqu5Z5Idi8tsDTTjkDpN2TZSnxcWnycQmev1sgO1UcTKMH7rW9rTb