1 2 3
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/17 10:36 a.m.

Pretty simple, I want to build my own roll cages, bash bars, etc. If I get good, possibly for other people too.

Did a little research and found out that there is a big difference between pipe and tubing and that a pipe bender is NOT the right tool for the job. I need a tubing bender.

YouTube guy recommended the JD Squared Model 3. It is a manual operated bender. Appears to be pretty nice, and of course I'll have to order specific dies in addition to the bender itself... JD Squared Model 3

Any other recommendations? Manual bender is fine, if not preferred.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
8/3/17 10:39 a.m.

I was researching the same thing recently - The JD Squared seems to be exactly what you want and - so far as I can discern - the standard.

Lemon's post asking the same thing

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
8/3/17 10:44 a.m.

I had a JD Squared manual bender. Worked really well for making roll hoops and stuff like that. It took a long lever and some muscle to make the bends. You'll need a way to bolt it to the floor or some other immovable object.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/3/17 10:46 a.m.

This is relevant to my current interests--I need to put a ~45* bend in an aluminum bar for my sailboat rudder/tiller. Then I don't think I'll ever use it again, so I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/3/17 10:50 a.m.

I have a pro tools 200. Hydraulic is nice. It's portable. It works well. Only drawback is not going over 90*, but not really an issue for a cage or hoop. Adding air over hydraulic would make it better if I did more bending.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/3/17 10:51 a.m.

As of a few years ago the jd2 was the go to model for the off road cocommunity. It seems to be a really good tool for the money.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
8/3/17 10:52 a.m.

The JD squared is the way to go. People have often tried to cheap out and use harbor freight benders and sand filled tubes and whatnot and it never works out as well. We have one that is about to make its 8th cage with us this coming weekend.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
8/3/17 11:14 a.m.

I found a used Hossfeld bender years back with just about every die made for it at a great price. Then found a 110V portable hydraulic power pack. Now just got to start using it!

jamscal
jamscal Dork
8/3/17 11:34 a.m.

I had a JD2 Model 3 for many years...just upgraded to Model 32 full hydro.

I think I bent 2 180s by hand before I said no way would I make a dime bending by hand.

I set up an air over hydro using the HF ram and didn't look back.

Doing your one cage, by hand, yes I can see it. Bending everyday for customers by hand...no way (IMO).

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/17 11:36 a.m.

To tag along here, I have a 100 ton press. Is there a way to use it to bend tubing?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/17 11:54 a.m.

Depending on how handy you are, another member (SkinnyG) pointed me to a bender from Gottrikes. The build went well and it ended up costing me around $500 all in. It does a great job on the ~160° bends I did for my miotter roll hoops.

I know you're down in PA, but you're welcome to give it a try if you're ever around me (in CT).

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/3/17 12:05 p.m.

I was just going to say ^^^^

I ~really~ like that this one bends vertical - I don't have to anchor it to the floor; I can bend anywhere.

GotTrikes Bender - Embedded for your pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XZ5Su-1ILkA

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/17 12:46 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I was just going to say ^^^^ I ~really~ like that this one bends vertical - I don't have to anchor it to the floor; I can bend anywhere. GotTrikes Bender - Embedded for your pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/embed/XZ5Su-1ILkA

It's times like these when I'm really glad I asked. I like that version a lot! And it should be good practice for my welding skills!

WonkoTheSane
8/3/17 2:01 p.m.

Even with an 11' pipe in it, mine is stable enough that it sits on a HF furniture mover for easy rolling action... It's light enough that I can set it on and off if needed, but heavy enough that I didn't bother since I didn't need to :) Oh, and I didn't attach the outriggers (yet).. I'm not sure if I'm going to or not..

And after I calibrated myself for spring-back using a HF digital angle gauge, my second hoop got within ~.5° on the first go.

I've thought about renting mine out on the local craigslist..

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/4/17 12:09 p.m.

I have always liked the look of this one, but I haven't found anybody that uses one.

Rogue bender

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
8/4/17 12:38 p.m.

Bought one of these., and haven't used it yet. I ended up loaning it to a friend, and he's caged a half-dozen cars with it. He likes it. The die I got for it (1.75") has started to crack, though, so he ordered a replacement.

WonkoTheSane
8/4/17 1:39 p.m.
JBasham wrote: I have always liked the look of this one, but I haven't found anybody that uses one. Rogue bender

I was about to order that until SkinnyG pointed out the GotTrikes one..

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/11/17 1:42 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote:
JBasham wrote: I have always liked the look of this one, but I haven't found anybody that uses one. Rogue bender

So THAT'S how it's going to be. . . .

WonkoTheSane
8/11/17 1:58 p.m.
JBasham wrote:
WonkoTheSane wrote:
So THAT'S how it's going to be. . . .

Yeah, sorry

Edit: I should add that I still feel the Rouge one is a really solid buy, but I wanted to build the bender to practice up on fabrication & welding skills. But I did spend a bunch of time cutting & fitting the GotTrikes one.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/11/17 2:01 p.m.

Another vote for the JD2 bender. I've had mine for 8+ years. Works great.

What's also nice about it is the huge die selection. Which can be great if you want to tackle something other than rollcage fabrication.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
8/11/17 5:31 p.m.

I have the affordable bender, the only downfalls are can only go 90 degrees and the bends are not as tight as I would like on some projects.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
8/11/17 6:18 p.m.

Got my GotTrikes plans and the first die set came today. Steel on monday.

WonkoTheSane
8/11/17 7:47 p.m.

Woot! If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me (or I'll volunteer SkinnyG for him)..

Rodan
Rodan Reader
8/11/17 8:45 p.m.

JD2 Model 3, and buy these plans and build this stand: DBT bender stand plans

Direct link to DBT: DBT

I think you can email him directly and order the plans.

Here's mine:

DSC_7848 DSC_7883

Works great, and bending in the vertical plane does not require the bender to be anchored, so you can roll it around. I'v since added the HF tubing roller, but still need a couple of parts from Swag Offroad to finish the power adaptation. The stand is designed to carry both.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/14/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Rodan: Very nice!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bzVwHQl3f4d2RGzv0agGiIkHC5f1U1YSQ2ODYEhjQ8Bumf6I31cpEj3S9hX8rgMo