internetautomart SuperDork
April 21, 2011 7:29 p.m.

for a song I picked up a 99 blazer 2wd that was running like crap.
did you know they only weigh 3500 lbs?
Got it running right-ish already.
I've got it up for sale right now, but part of me says to lower it. Stick wider rubber on it and swap in a V8. From what I can gather all I need are mounts and headers if I want to swap in a carbed motor.
thing is, I want EFI. Does anyone know if the computer can be kept to run the V8 other than flashing a new program on it? can I swap the V8 engine subharness with the V6 one at the connector?

patgizz SuperDork
April 21, 2011 7:40 p.m.

In reply to internetautomart:

i was reading about doing a vortec 4.3 astro and swapping in a vortec 350. lots of guys on the astro forum just add the extra pins and wires for the 2 additional injectors to the factory harness and pcm connectors and just pick up a same year pcm from a 350 vortec truck. the rest is literally plug and play. i dont see why you could not have your pcm programmed with a 350 vortec truck program.

i went carbed in my vortec astro just because i had carb drivetrain ready to go in, but i would rather have done a complete vortec 350 changeover.

April 21, 2011 7:45 p.m.

very interesting...
I am SO torn right now about selling this versus keeping it. a V8 S10 would so scratch my RWD itch that has been irritating me since I sold the S13.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
April 21, 2011 7:58 p.m.

do it

Ranger50 HalfDork
April 21, 2011 8:06 p.m.

I am sure Speartech makes a harness in the flavor you desire.

April 21, 2011 8:19 p.m.

I like the idea of running 2 wires better
ECU is the same for V8 and V6 vortec. (just verified it) programming is different as we already knew.
If I run into a $500 v8 vortec truck it will definately be done.
Maybe I can swap a vortec intake setup onto an old school SBC, I already have the old school....

I didn't see speartech showing an adapter harness on their site.

April 21, 2011 9:31 p.m.

For Vortec swap just add jumpers for cyl 7 and 8 its batch fire anyway and use V8 pcm. Vortecs came in any flavor from 4.8 to 8.1 and they share exterior dimensions for the most part (8.1 is a big block)

LS serries are quite a bit different

novaderrik HalfDork
April 21, 2011 9:44 p.m.
BoneYard_Racing wrote: For Vortec swap just add jumpers for cyl 7 and 8 its batch fire anyway and use V8 pcm. Vortecs came in any flavor from 4.8 to 8.1 and they share exterior dimensions for the most part (8.1 is a big block) LS serries are quite a bit different

the "vortec" that he will want to use was used from 96-99 in pickups and up to around '02 in bigger trucks and vans and came as either a 305 (5 liter) or 350 (5.7 liter).

April 21, 2011 9:49 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
BoneYard_Racing wrote: For Vortec swap just add jumpers for cyl 7 and 8 its batch fire anyway and use V8 pcm. Vortecs came in any flavor from 4.8 to 8.1 and they share exterior dimensions for the most part (8.1 is a big block) LS serries are quite a bit different

the "vortec" that he will want to use was used from 96-99 in pickups and up to around '02 in bigger trucks and vans and came as either a 305 (5 liter) or 350 (5.7 liter).

yeah, that vortec. not the LS variants.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

10 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

10 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

12 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

13 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

14 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

16 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
kdaSfuNPg9TqkTiL70c1J4Ki53fbk7OH