bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
9/30/14 3:15 p.m.

Any suggestions on how to or what products to use to repair a tare in a leather seat? Any to stay the heck away from? Driver side seat bottom outer bolster developed tares from the previous owner sliding their rump across it for over a decade.

I'm aware of the kits that provide a backing material, glue, and paint/dye, but none of them have glowing recommendations on Amazon. I was going to get 3M's kit, but there are a lot of folks saying the glue never dries, and that the dye bleeds onto other fabric when setting on it. I realize that these reviews are quite possibly written by folks with a DIY aptitude slightly less than your average GRMer.

I'm more concerned with repairing the tares and preventing their spread than I am making it appear as there wasn't ever one there.

I've looked at some "tape" designed to put over leather and vinyl tares but it looks hack, might as well break out the roll of duct tape.

If it matters, it's for Chrysler/Jeep's finest beginning of the Millennium dark charcoal/black leather upholstery.

• Lee
asoduk
asoduk Reader
9/30/14 3:22 p.m.

I tried the 3M kit. It requires patience, but in the end turned out quite well. TAKE YOUR TIME with the heat stick thingy

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
9/30/14 4:13 p.m.

Leatherique?

http://www.leatherique.com/

http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/how_to_re-dye_leather.html

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
9/30/14 4:22 p.m.

I tried the repair kit, but it did not last. I went to pull a part and took a piece of leather from a same type car(vw). Took the whole cover off my seat and had the new piece sewed in. Looks a OK and well worth the $50 total I spent.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/30/14 5:58 p.m.

I would call one of the outfits that does this for a living. I have some experience with an outfit called FIBERNEW and the rip went away. I have a feeling that much like the dent removers, results will vary depending on the individual who shows up.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
9/30/14 6:08 p.m.

We had and indy guy that did it for our dealership, but that was when I was in OH. The thought crossed my mind to call around here to see who the dealers use, but I'm spending adverse, if I think there's a chance I can DIY it reasonably enough.

Leather seats aren't real common for this application, actually there is another vehicle with leather at the Pick-n-Pull but it's seats are in worse shape than ours. I don't think cutting leather from another seat is the route I want to go.

Really the right backing, and quality "glue" would probably be sufficient, but when you take the time to read the reviews it seems like nothing works.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
9/30/14 9:04 p.m.

Call a old time belt and bearing company the ones that still make leather belts for old lathes and other vintage equipment. around here we have Hudson belting there a few still around in every state. they have real glue to stick leather like you never even knew it was two or more pieces.

http://www.mindravegroup.com/hudsonbelting/

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/14 10:21 p.m.

There are several leather repair / fabrication shops in Boston that do furniture repairs and what not. I have used several of them over the years and had good results. One was fixed in the car (guy came out with his glue and tools and in 15 min it was done) others I have taken the seat out and brought it to them.

Typical repair is to glue a piece of something behind the tear / cut. (I am not sure it is leather. I think it was some sort of weird mesh like stuff that had a furry side. When they are done it just looks like a wrinkle or ware line in the seat. What ever the glue is that they use it is amazing stuff.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
10/1/14 7:25 a.m.

There is only one product I'd trust to repair cracks in leather for a seat seeing regular sitting-in duty, and that's more leather.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZbrQyXl3wnhxwtnrZEOc0ub0KRKWpFOWMox4iHeI6kPmdVUlBPaiVnKiselS9XFq