Jerry Dork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:00 p.m.

I just bought 8 OEM MR2 wheels with tires. I do not want the tires. My friend has a manual tire machine that I'm hoping can dismount these things without damaging the wheels too much.

What is the best/cheapest/easiest way to dispose of the tires? One has pretty good tread and might stick around for a spare. The others are questionable and since I just picked up I'm not even sure they all hold air. Even though I cut my long hair I'm kind of a hippie and won't just chuck them off a bridge.

(14" if anyone needs generic tires)

JFX001 UltraDork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:08 p.m.

I saw that thread on mr2oc...nice score.I was just going through the pics matching up my list.

Check with some local tire shops, or your county. We have a once a year "hazardous material" pick up here in Delaware.

Woody MegaDork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Lately, I've been paying the $6 fee at the local transfer station, one tire at a time. That gains me access to the hill. The tire pile and scrap metal piles are in the same area, so I can do a little shopping while I'm there. I usually come home with a bicycle that I fix up and donate. This morning, I found two catalytic converters. That covered the fee for two tires.

bravenrace UltimaDork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Hmm, last time I needed to get rid of some the trash collectors took them. That was less than a year ago.

Knurled UberDork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:36 p.m.

Check to see if your city has free tire disposal. Some up here do.

Other than that, ask a tire shop. We pay $.50-1.50 per tire to have them taken away.

novaderrik PowerDork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:52 p.m.

put them out by the curb with a sign that says good used tires: $5 each"... i guarantee they will disappear over night, and who knows, someone might even pay you for them...

yamaha PowerDork
Sept. 17, 2013 7:58 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Oddly enough, "Free" doesn't work as well. My friend had some 15x10 crappy wheels from a jeep he scrapped with E36 M3 tires. They sat out in his front yard for 3 weeks with a "free" sign above them......he changed it to $20 and they were gone in a day.......with $20 tucked into the sign.

Jerry Dork
Sept. 17, 2013 8:06 p.m.

When I lived in Northern KY I probably could have done the curb thing. I could put anything out there, gone by night fall. One time I carried out some old shelves, before I could even turn around and go back in the house someone in a crappy truck was slowing down and giving them a look up and down.

Another time I put out a non-working dryer, and someone in another crappy truck (I did mention KY right?) already FULL of crap stopped and asked if he could have it. I said if you can make it fit, it's yours. He rearranged and piled crap till he made room for it.

Jerry Dork
Sept. 17, 2013 8:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Check to see if your city has free tire disposal. Some up here do.

Well, the power of Google compelled me:

http://www.mcohio.org/services/swd/transfer_stations.html

"Tires: Montgomery County residents may dispose of 10 passenger car/truck tires per year at no charge. **Proof of residency is required."

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

21 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

22 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

1 day ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

2 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

3 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

3 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
bUdXnOgmKGSM2uRkDwLE73deVlrE2C64