Colin Wood
Colin Wood Intern
3/4/19 10:31 a.m.
feature_image

The 24 Hours of Lemons has introduced an all-new fully electric category for their 2019 racing season. Officially called "The Lemons Electric Class Presented by AltThusiast," the category is being touted as the first time that electric cars and internal-combustion cars are going to be racing within the same field.

Besides the "5 1/2 Tons on Money" cash prize …

Read the rest of the story

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
3/4/19 10:44 a.m.

I was daydreaming about this yesterday.  Easiest way forward right now seems to be buying a half-dozen crashed Leafs at CoPart, setting up a quick-change battery swap method, and plan on pit stops every 30 minutes.

Given the frequency of stops, even if you got them down to 5 minutes or so, it would still require 0 other problems and a bit (lot) of luck to win overall with this strategy.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
3/4/19 10:58 a.m.

How many tracks have multiple drops of 100 amps of 480V 3 Phase in the pits?

Trailer mounted generators are not super cheap to rent.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/4/19 11:18 a.m.
8valve
8valve Reader
3/4/19 4:54 p.m.

If I had half a dozen leaf packs I'd probably triple them up or at least pair them up.  The hit would be a lot easier on the packs at WOT.

What happens when you track a leaf?  I'm betting a lot of overheating cells and power limiting.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/4/19 7:31 p.m.

It would be awesome if you guys could hire someone named Rutledge Chapman. 

te72
te72 Reader
3/5/19 12:47 a.m.

I'd expect to need to change at least one, if not two full sets of brake pads and at least as many sets of tires, due to the weight of EV's. Although, regenerative braking may subsidize some of the braking effort, but that isn't going to help the tires any.

I imagine they might be quick on some tracks, but from what I've seen of past efforts to run more pedestrian EV's on a track, I doubt we'll see an overall victory any time soon. Good luck to all those that try though! Has anyone successfully campaigned an EV in any sort of endurance racing event? I'd imagine the cooling factor would be the limiting one...

Donatello
Donatello New Reader
3/5/19 3:52 p.m.

I am sure Lemons has thought of this, but I will say it anyway. I hope the safety crews are prepared for the challenges presented by electric race cars: high voltage, potential battery fires, etc. Not that crashes ever happen at Lemons races...

sleepyhead
3/7/19 2:54 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I don't really agree with you.

Nevertheless, I don't think we need to resort to yelling, and semi-flounder-vaguely-conspiracy-theory to voice your disagreement.

Build your own Class A Lemons car, and make it fast enough that no one ever has a chance to win the nickles.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/7/19 5:35 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

&@#^%#*()&!, and )(**$#@!(_*

Any time we support electric IN ANY WAY we shoot ourselves in the foot!

Remember, the Green Mafia want to OUTLAW our ICE cars and is counting on everyone embracing "Green" electric (Actually mostly COAL!) in the next few years, voluntarily or not.

Seriously dumb comment, sorry. 

CrookedRacer
CrookedRacer Reader
3/7/19 7:12 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

None of it will be cheap... for some time. But a trailer load of charged batteries next to the pits for true dc-to-dc recharging could be a strategy... eliminating ac altogether.

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
3/7/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

How do you type while wearing a straight jacket? 

te72
te72 Reader
3/12/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I understand where you're coming from, but I think we're still a LONG way out from electric being mandatory.

For one, oil companies love green, but of a different sort. Money will determine policy, and I have a hard time thinking of many industries with more money than the oil industry.

For two, try taking a road trip out west with an electric car. Hope you don't plan on going off the beaten path much... 200-300 miles doesn't get you too far in some states out here.

Third, I think we're making the assumption that this "prize" is anything other than a thinly veiled joke at the expense of EV enthusiasts. I mean, the challenge is out there, some will attempt it, but until we see strictly EV vehicles racing competitively at Lemans, I doubt you have anything to worry about here. =)

sleepyhead
3/13/19 1:35 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

Musk is one of the nuts pushing to outlaw ICE cars, how do I curse him on this forum without getting banned?

I dunno, do you mean cuss-out or "hex"?  If it's the latter, I'm afraid that I don't think we have the "black magic" control widget installed on the forum yet.  Also, check you state and local laws about Voodoo as Aggravated Assault.

If it's the former I suggest you do so while stretching your creativity.  Haiku's are usually a pretty popular form, as are adapted song lyrics.  But, hey, don't feel constrained... feel free to go all out and drop some iambic pentameter on this E36 M3.

But, here's the important part, don't imply a political slant or conspiracy... and feel free to check the house rules:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/forum-rules-welcome-to-the-party/104340/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJwlgcT8vmLUDHQpgAldUepppio1y9d7gcWnNuHxRYVIwGHktymO3PWHXuDvonFm