wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/19 7:21 a.m.

Title misspelled to further rile those who feel the "learn me" wording is offensive

So, like the title says, what do you fine folks know about these engines? Weight? Measurements? Anyone Megasquirted one? I wouldn't mind any random SR20 knowledge, either.

What I've found:

In this era, Nissan liked to use just a few engines and transmissions. So, say you have an 03 Sentra Ser Spec V transmission with the helical LSD, all you need is a bellhousing (and I assume flywheel, starter, etc.) to bolt it up to your VQ35DE V6. Said V6 came in almost everything Nissan made, and is cheap. Ser 6-speeds are relatively cheap, too.

I haven't given the QR25DE 4 banger much of the time of day, as I always felt it lived in the SR20's shadow. Appliance, rather than as a performer. I know the QE has somewhat weak, cast connecting rods. It was made for the Altima YAWN! But 175 hp, and particularly 180 ft/lbs of torque sounds like good times.  The thing is, I've got a line on maybe an "03 Altima 4cyl Auto for dirt cheap. Wrecked with 130K on the clock. This is a potential donor for a let's say 1700 lb challenge car. Automatic is unacceptable, but those SpecV transmissions are available. Cheapest I saw was $307, and $250 for a new, lightened flywheel, clutch, Pressure Plate combo. This is all sounding quite doable.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/17/19 8:20 a.m.

QR's have a somewhat justified reputation for poor reliability, but make pretty decent power for an NA 4 banger.  I wouldn't base a racecar around them unless it was for some sort of short duration racing like autocross or TT.  If I recall correctly, even Nissan couldn't make them last for anything longer than sprint races.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/19 8:33 a.m.

Wouldn't you need a manual trans from a V6 to sacrifice to use the Sentra internals anyway?

wheelsmithy
2/17/19 9:21 a.m.

More info: 

This is under consideration for a challenge car.  Sprints for the challenge, then a leisurely life as a nice day street car/ weekend autocrosser. The 4 banger is far from my dream engine, but would leave lots of room in the budget for other stuff. 

The car in question is a heavily gutted 1980 Fiat X1/9

Question: Will auto axles fit the RS6F51H six speed (with helical LSD) from a Sentra Spec V? How about starter?

These are pretty detailed questions. Likely for a Nissan tech type (Run_Away, are your ears burning?), however, I figured the brain trust might have some knowledge. 

In answer to Knurled: My understanding is that you can swap bellhousings, which seems pretty sweet, but yeah, a manual (6-speed only???) bellhousing on a 4cly transmission, could get pricey quick.

A lot of the appeal of this is simply the helical LSD, which coupled with a torquey (rumored)300 lbs. engine could be good.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Transverse anything typically does not have removable bellhousings, what they would be referring to would be the engine side case half.

wheelsmithy
2/17/19 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

My thoughts precisely, but the interwebs never lie (yes they do!). Seemed like BS to me.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/17/19 2:40 p.m.

There is build thread for a V6 swapped B15 Sentra if you want some information. 

As far as the QR25DE, the second generation that are into the B16 Sentra (2007+) is much improved and apparently bolts-up to the earlier transmission. Very few B16 Sentra came with the (optional) LSD.

wheelsmithy
2/17/19 3:24 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

Exactly what I was looking for, but had not found. Thank You, Sir!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/17/19 5:40 p.m.
fanfoy said:

As far as the QR25DE, the second generation that are into the B16 Sentra (2007+) 

There are a few variants of the 2nd gen motors.  The B16 SER made 200hp and, possibly more importantly, had a redline ~800rpm higher (Nissan strengthened the bottom end to handle the additional RPM).  Apparently with bolt ons these are ~210-220whp motors, which isn't really terrible.  A word of warning, the block exterior is not the same between the two motors, but you can swap internals around.

The QR25DE has issues in factory form.  1) it will ingest the secondary butterfly screws and destroy itself and 2) it will ingest chunks of its cat and destroy itself.  The 2nd is pretty hard to fix and keep it emissions legal but wont matter for a swap candidate.

As much as I hate the B15 SpecV in my driveway, the motor is does feel better than the sum of its parts and the diff works great.

wheelsmithy
2/17/19 6:25 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

See, that's the crux.

I HATE Altimas. I have zero love for this engine, but I also have zero hate (QR25DE). I just may be able to get a running one, complete with a wrecked car around it for a $100 budget hit after part-out. A torsen would be keen, but being so cheap, would allow $ for lots of other activities. You know, paint, cool seats, suspension work, megasquirt, etc. 

I'm finding Hondas/Acuras very pricey, and I loved Datsuns Nissans, not so much, I like the idea of torque, and a more or less unloved engine, but big power means squat if you can't put it to the ground.

Were I to acquire this car, I'd delete balance shafts, Ges the SpecV transmission, de-cat (headers are as low as $40), and either fix those butterflies, or go ITB.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/17/19 6:33 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Back when I had mine, the fix for the butterfly screws was just to remove them, then re-apply them with loc-tite.  Wasn't a huge deal.  The precat issue required a catless aftermaket header, which, happily, also gives you a pretty substantial power bump.  I did all that, but still never felt like I had a bulletproof motor.  It may have just been a case of internet acquired paranoia, however.  Being on a Spec-V specific message board where some noob logged on every week with "motor started drinking a quart of oil per 1000 miles and now it's a lump" probably didn't help.  

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/19/19 1:36 p.m.

I follow a guy on IG who has (among other things) a B16 sentra with a cammed qr25 making 220+whp. That's pretty sweet if you ask me. Now, is that easier than a 250whp  vq35 in the first place? Probably not unless your car won't easily fit the v6. But that QR can make an amount of power that would make an x1/9  VERY fast! 

djsilver
djsilver Reader
2/19/19 3:33 p.m.

The QR25DE is a long stroke motor (100mm/4") so high revs are tough on it, but Rebello has built KA24DE's with 98mm stroke for the CORR offroad series that run 10k rpm so don't let me discourage you.  That said, a good cam and high compression pistons should do well.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/19 8:24 a.m.

I love my VQ35-powered Challenge car. It's just simple, easy power and they're bulletproof reliable. Mine's from an 03 G35 (260 hp) and it puts up with anything I give it. Earlier cars will be easier to swap due to simpler electronics at the expense of power. The engines are just as fantastic in FWD form. They are not extremely light due to DOHC. Internet weight estimates vary from 330 lbs up to 500 lbs, but who knows. I never got the chance to weigh mine. I say if you're going to do such a crazy swap, go big and get a VQ. 

If you absolutely need a manual (which a Challenge honestly just doesn't), search for any manual-equipped Maximas from 1994 and up. From 1994 to 2002, they all have the VQ30DE, which is good for minimum 190 hp up to 227 hp in later years with a 5-speed manual. That's still plenty of power for your lightweight Challenge car, then spray it with nitrous using all the money you saved by not opening the engine. In 2002, they switched to the VQ35DE and 6-speed manual with 255 hp, but those cars are much more rare. A quick craigslist search in my area found 2 manual Maximas just under $2000, one from 1994 (190hp) and another from 2001 (227 hp). If you're patient you can find the right donor. 

If you can suffer an automatic, your options are now 10x more plentiful and way cheaper. You can now choose from any old Maxima, V6 Altima, Infiniti i30, or Nissan Quest you stumble across. The i30t ("touring") came with LSD. My G35 with "tiptronic" automatic will truly hold 2nd gear and redline and cut fuel and never shift up no matter what, so it's about as racer-friendly as automatics get. Not sure if the FWD autos do that, but my G35 RWD auto is pretty great for what it is. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/20/19 12:44 p.m.
djsilver said:

The QR25DE is a long stroke motor (100mm/4") so high revs are tough on it, but Rebello has built KA24DE's with 98mm stroke for the CORR offroad series that run 10k rpm so don't let me discourage you.  That said, a good cam and high compression pistons should do well.

yeah, the 100mm stroke always scared me.  Then I realized the crazy K24 hondas people are building are 99mm from the factory, then people stroke them more.  I guess if you get strong rods its all good.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/20/19 1:02 p.m.

My wife and I put 100k miles on a VQ30 powered Maxima, it was super reliable and pulled down 30 mpg at speeds up to 85 mph.  They are a great motor in my opinion.  I have to agree just find a Maxima with a manual trans as a donor.

They can be found running on five cylinders for cheap.  Mine went through three coils and one fuel injector, always the same symptom rough idle.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/20/19 1:04 p.m.
wheelsmithy
2/20/19 1:51 p.m.

I like those Maximas for sure, and any VQ seems fine, but I'm kind of hooked on the torsen 6 speeds . I'm seeing prices anywhere from $300ish on up. The Qr 25 makes 180 ft lbs of torque, and I'm thinking driveable power and traction trump outright power. 

03 Altima 5 speed on local craigs for $750, but that's the bad year for engines, and this one has engine troubles. I'm wondering if axles swap between a 5-speed and the 6-speed. The Maximas right at 2K seem to be cutting budget awfully close for my comfort.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y6tuTIPcAOCDjIXfH9oS9sD79DY9ZLlDrICe7LH6sXgmf6JJLQkmJEs9a4UaPLs8