daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
9/15/08 9:17 a.m.

My local car flier has a '92 Lesero Winnebago motorhome for sale, says it has a 2.2 4 banger and sleeps 4.

The thing looks somewhat like a 90's vanagain front end, nothing like the toyota pickup based rv's.

I however can not find any information on this thing. I'm mostly curious about it, so I don't want to call and harass the guy selling because I'm not buying, but google returns like 6 hits (feels like its 1998 again) and none are relevant.

Doesn't VW have a 2.0 4 cyl? did they have a 2.2? Did they have the vr6 in 92? I somewhat recall a 5cyl in the vans?

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/08 9:38 a.m.

You're having no luck with Google because its spelled wrong, try LeSharo and you should get about a million hits.

The 2.2 is a Renault motor and most people think these motor homes are severely underpowered - there are a couple of companies that specialize in swaps for them though.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/15/08 9:51 a.m.

Seems like a lot of mass for the engine.

http://www.lesharo.co.uk/

924guy
924guy HalfDork
9/15/08 10:14 a.m.

I seriously considered picking one of these up a few years back, nice use of space, decent design, and great mpg for an rv. BUT, the early models had Renault drive trains, and are prone to blowing head gaskets, and the hydraulics also suck, with cheap lines that like to blow out. And though they're great on gas when they do run, the there's not much go with them and forget about towing anything... the later VW based units are much better, but also have their own issues (but usually not as catastrophic) and still cant tow, and they demand a huge premium. An early Lesharo with a motor swap might be a good project though, but unless its almost free, its not really worth it.. The best small rv in that style,IMO, is the Vixen, bmw based drive train,or buick v6 set up, and enough power to tow, and itll also fit in your garage and still get over 20 mpg hwy. they cost 15k and up though , if you can find one..they were also made with bmw turbo diesels... vixen link. Still way too much $$ for me though, Ive been looking for a cheap , gutted interior TransVan with a head. Their fuel hogs, but for the occasional use and towing , and low price, i could deal with it... Ive had a few trailers and a 70 winni cheiftain (27ft) and they are great to have for weekends, towing, races, and the occasional driving vacation...I'd rather have one of those than my suv, which says alot because i really like my suv, but i rarely drive it anymore. Cant fit a big rv in my yard now, but i see 30 ft+ rigs all day long for bargain prices.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/15/08 10:24 a.m.

Lesharo motorhomes can be pretty decent with a 3800 GM swap, a customer at the Buick dealer had one done that way. Just be aware that, like 924 mentioned, they can't tow very much even with a bigger motor.

TransVans are usually pretty cheap but they are going to have a good many miles/years on them. If you get a DRW version they can tow a race car pretty easily, too.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/15/08 10:35 a.m.

Interesting, I always thought all those LeSharo's had GM fwd's. I must have saw a conversion. Who would have thought they moved that entire bus off a Renault Fuego engine?

Lots of info about swaps here: http://www.lesharo.com/ $14k will get you a Chrysler V6 swap, installed (seems high.) I think I would rather a GM 3800.

Vixen Turbo Diesel link: http://www.vixenrv.com/vixen_for_sale.php

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IcUsqt890tfI4YfYQggTrSOxNwRqvI8UKonqYHZK3tEHtgk1S2G7OqRMMKxWkZgq