1 2
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/31/20 4:28 p.m.

Okay I finally found a cheap Subie and rallycross.  It is insanely fun.  I like the people too.

I'd love to have similar fun on pavement.  I think a decent CAM car would work for autoX fun and HPDEs too.  

I'd like to keep it under $10k with 200TW tires, so $9k for initial car.  I'd like AC since I live in TX, and of course RWD and V8.  Recommendations or finds?  I have a truck and can tow something home or do a fly and drive too.  I am very snow averse so I may need to wait until spring.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/31/20 4:37 p.m.

Nicest C5 you can find?

Will
Will UltraDork
12/31/20 4:39 p.m.

LS1 F-body.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/31/20 4:57 p.m.

Cam is a class that allows you to race what you want to OWN. if your goal is fun, figure out what you want to own and then buy it. If you want to be at the pointy end,  Corvette. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/31/20 5:35 p.m.
dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/31/20 6:40 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Cam is a class that allows you to race what you want to OWN. if your goal is fun, figure out what you want to own and then buy it. If you want to be at the pointy end,  Corvette. 

And if you're budgeting $1000 for tires you're not going to be at the pointy end, so get whatever appeals to you and fits your needs. An f body is probably the best budget choice.

12/31/20 8:34 p.m.
Will said:

LS1 F-body.

This was my initial thought as well.  I found one near me that has subframe connectors, an adjustable torque arm, lowering springs, Bilsteins and C6 Corvette wheels.  It is higher miles but in budget.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/31/20 8:55 p.m.

Which CAM?  CAM S is 2 seater, CAM-T is up to 2000, and CAM-C is 2000+ .

12/31/20 10:23 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Which CAM?  CAM S is 2 seater, CAM-T is up to 2000, and CAM-C is 2000+ .

CAM-T is the likely target since they placed 4th gen F bodies in there and SN Mustangs.  

I could do CAM- C for 15k or so.  

CAM S could be done in a C5 for 12k ish I'd think to get a FRC or very high mile Z06.  

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/1/21 8:48 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

This is a great way to look at it! Although $10k may not get you to the pointy end, even in a Vette. Sticky 315s get expensive.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/1/21 8:51 a.m.

For fun more than competitiveness at a decent price point my vote would also be 4th gen Camarobird- something about the suspension design means they'll happily do this sort of sloppy, easy to balance oversteer as much as you want and it's a really good time.  Run the cheapest 200TW you can and be prepared to go through rear tires.

Will
Will UltraDork
1/1/21 10:12 a.m.

FYI, I just sold my fully-prepped ESP LS1 4th-gen for way less than the OP's budget. Not to rub salt in or anything, just saying there are deals out there.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
1/1/21 12:25 p.m.

Fox body or SN95 Mustang? Cheap buy-in and cheap aftermarket bolt-ons. Start with an engineless roller and add whatever drivetrain tickles your fancy.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/1/21 1:07 p.m.
newrider3 said:

Fox body or SN95 Mustang? Cheap buy-in and cheap aftermarket bolt-ons. Start with an engineless roller and add whatever drivetrain tickles your fancy.

Beware mod motors for bolt ons...  It almost ends up blower or nothing, especially for the cobras. (Talking beyond exhaust, cai, and flash tune stuff)

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/1/21 7:18 p.m.

Automatics make LS1 4th Gens cheaper (often by a lot, up to $2500) but less fun. The automatic won't hurt autocross times. That will leave more money for shocks and springs and a possible diff upgrade to a TruTrac or T2R. But the automatics usually tested slower in 1/4 mi acceleration and got worse MPG.

But I've seen ready-to-go 4th Gens already modded for AX/RR go from starting at $5k on sites like GRM and FRRAX within the last 2 years. Some are LT1s though.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/1/21 8:38 p.m.

Corvettes need a pretty good sized site to safely autocross.  For example.  I have also seen someone hit a spectator (and nearly a row of parked cars) by doing basically the same thing too.

Pmacinmn
Pmacinmn New Reader
1/1/21 8:45 p.m.

Hi,  I am new at posting here but have some experience with this topic.  I chose a 4th gen Camaro M6 with an LT1.  It was a one owner car, spotless with absolutely no rust (in Minnesota) and less than $5k.  The first thing I did was visit Sam Strano's website and give him more money for Konis, springs, and sway bars.  Then changed all the bushing.  This made this car handle way better than it should.  The next step was 18" wheels and Cadilac CTS-V front brakes.  Now it handles, stops, and is adequately fast for less than 10K.  I've used it for both auto-x and track days.  I have also had zero issues with the LT1 at 120,000 miles.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
1/1/21 8:56 p.m.
GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/1/21 9:35 p.m.
Pmacinmn said:

Hi,  I am new at posting here but have some experience with this topic.  I chose a 4th gen Camaro M6 with an LT1.  It was a one owner car, spotless with absolutely no rust (in Minnesota) and less than $5k.  The first thing I did was visit Sam Strano's website and give him more money for Konis, springs, and sway bars.  Then changed all the bushing.  This made this car handle way better than it should.  The next step was 18" wheels and Cadilac CTS-V front brakes.  Now it handles, stops, and is adequately fast for less than 10K.  I've used it for both auto-x and track days.  I have also had zero issues with the LT1 at 120,000 miles.

Yeah, don't discount the LT1 cars. They make more torque below 3500 RPM and make the same peak. This is important for digging out of tight autocross corners.

1/3/21 12:05 a.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/3/21 9:56 a.m.

I'll pile on the 4th gen recommendation as well, they're classed favorably in CAM-T and should be just about your cheapeast path to a competitive car. I had a 6 speed 98 Z28 that was pretty much the car in which I learned to autocross. That car just had a pretty basic shock/spring/sway bar setup that I put on it, but it was a riot to wrestle around the cones while still being totally streetable, and made such a night and day difference over stock. 

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
1/3/21 11:16 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

To be honest your car is still on my mind.  If I could toughen up a lot for summer...  

And would kiddo still be able to use the backseat some?  

Back seat is fully functional.  The interior is mostly stock other than pedal covers, sunvisor delete (I have a drivers visor that I keep on hand for inspection time), Hurst shifter and roll cage.  Even though the previous owners did most of the performance mods, I've tried to not cross the line where the car becomes more dedicated race car than modified street car.  It's definitely both in it's current state.  I put a link in the for sale posting to additional photos and there are a couple of the back seat included.

1/9/21 5:57 p.m.

Well I found a car locally today.  It's a 1996 Camaro SS, M6, slick top, Hurst shifter, two on the left exhaust with Torsen and Bilstein suspension, which used 1LE sway bars and rear LCAs.  It has high miles, red over black leather.  I verified on the SLP registry that it's a real SS.  

Originally the car was sold with a spare set of wheels and R1 tires too (very rare option).  Not present now.

The guy listed it at $7k, but he revealed it may need head gaskets.  No signs of milkshake but the temp gauge is all over the place.  It may need coolant service and a new water pump too.  It also needs a new steering box and rack work. The dash is 4th gen gone.  The passenger window reg is also gone.  The shifter needs adjustment and maybe new centering springs.

His offer after the all the issues:  $3500.  I'm picking it up Monday.  Now I just need to find a place to store it until the Miata is sold.  I may sell my 996 too because we don't drive it enough and it's worth more than all my other fun cars combined.  

CL ad photo.  I will take a few of my own Monday.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/10/21 8:48 a.m.

Nice, people often overlook the LT engine but they're still affordable fun! 

Opti
Opti Dork
1/10/21 9:03 a.m.

So jelly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you it's not a HG. I haven't seen a bunch of HG failures but they do happen. I have seen a ton of cooling issues though, that people believed were HGs. 

A set of Konis and BMR or Strano springs makes this thing a whole different car

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
58RPjK9UvoZaA2iPxXDIzjWZzhgaRRRZWtVtARvvlaAbkuQeZv80kgHhVru39R3H