1 2
rotard
rotard Reader
8/18/11 11:30 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote:
rotard wrote: It's probably easier/cheaper to do the LSx thing.
Probably not. Remember he already has all the accessories, exhaust, fuel injection (if he goes that way), motor mounts and other stuff he will need. Plus SBC stuff is very cheap now, thanks in part to LSx engines.

Sell old stuff; buy new stuff. You can rig up some pretty sweet LSx's using junkyard truck engines. You'll get more power, weigh less, and get phenomenal gas mileage. It won't sound as nice, though.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/19/11 9:19 a.m.

Goddamnit... everyone say it with me, "Not all Gen III/IV smallbocks are LSxes!"

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
8/19/11 10:30 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Goddamnit... everyone say it with me, "Not all Gen III/IV smallbocks are LSxes!"

well, they kind of are.. at least for the purposes of engine swapping, anyways. even GM agrees and lists the stuff as "LS engines" in the GM Performance Parts catalog.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro New Reader
8/19/11 11:53 a.m.
rotard wrote: Sell old stuff; buy new stuff. You can rig up some pretty sweet LSx's using junkyard truck engines. You'll get more power, weigh less, and get phenomenal gas mileage. It won't sound as nice, though.

The main point is he already has most of the stuff for the sbc. LSx swaps (and EFI swaps too) end up costing more than you think they would. There are some people who do it cheaply, but not all of us are that lucky. When I changed my 67 El Camino to an LT1, it cost more than I thought it would. An LSx swap would have run about $800-1000 more, mainly for having to buy swap mounts and headers and a few other things.

The gas mileage gain isn't guaranteed, either, many factors come into play. As for power, my Dakotas 5.9L has better towing power than a 5.3L and about the same as the 6.0L I towed with. Again, there are many factors to consider to which does better. To me, LS motors tend to have more of their power higher up, while I prefer more in the low to mid range the older motors tend to have.

Oh I forgot to add, thanks to the LSx becoming more popular, sbc parts don't sell for very much anymore. Good if you are buying them, bad if selling.

Akramawi
Akramawi
10/19/21 3:55 a.m.

Good day to you all. I have a Silverado 1995 with a 5.7 lumina SS engine installed but my problem is the transmission it keeps burning the clutches and I fixed it twice but this time I want to know what is the most compatible transmission for this engine and truck.

Thank you

A. Àkramawi

±9712144423

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/21 9:19 a.m.

Just as an aside, the engine that I inherited for the car in my avatar is a 350 crate SBC with an unlabeled Edelbrock manifold,  Holley 4 bl, headers, electronic ignition and an unknown mild cam. But the heads look like generic 1980s passenger car stuff and haven't seen any mods.  What sort of power is a setup like that likely to make? And don't worry about hurting my feelings. My expectations aren't very high. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/21 9:28 a.m.
Akramawi said:

Good day to you all. I have a Silverado 1995 with a 5.7 lumina SS engine installed but my problem is the transmission it keeps burning the clutches and I fixed it twice but this time I want to know what is the most compatible transmission for this engine and truck.

Thank you

A. Àkramawi

±9712144423

Here in the US, the Lumina was never cool enough to get a v8; let along be rear wheel drive. I was confused for a second. What transmission do you have now, the 4L60e?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/19/21 3:56 p.m.

In reply to alex :

Save yourself time and money.  Buy a Target master. On sale they cost less than rebuilding one.   
    I put a Target master in the DeMar special.  We not only won 13 out of 14 races that year but when we pulled it. I stuck it in the race car hauler and traveled around the country for 5 years before selling it. 
   Sure the valves floated at 5800 rpm but   That saved me from watching the tach. Rev it to valve float and shift.   I beat more than a few high dollar  race motors because of the bottom end grunt would get me ahead out of the corner. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2FoH2ypFJLk8BepGf3HQ7vygQMQKhjJV590I47VjSnzZSnzkC5n2LlIi0tlsgcXl