1 2 3 4
RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
4/4/11 5:12 p.m.

Fox-chassis and SN95 Mustangs. I like other Mustangs but the SN95 leaves me cold and I had a very scary experience in an all-motor (as in, "all I touched was the motor") Fox. If someone would let me test-drive a well-sorted version of either of these cars I would keep an open mind, but as of right now I would buy only a V-8 Fox Mustang as only an engine swap/FFR Roadster donor.

Any post-1st gen Camaro, or any 1974-1992 Firebird/Trans-am. They are all butt-ugly. I don't get the love for the 2nd. gen. Camaro especially, since it's the second-most ugly only behind the 3rd. gen. And the 305 sucks.

C3 Corvettes. Not as pretty as the C2, not as sporty as the C4, and post-72 versions have looks that scream "coke addict."

Hyundai Genesis Coupe, esp. the 2.0T. I want to like this car, but when Hyundai is selling a family sedan with a 2.0T that makes 274hp STOCK, and their "sport car's" 2.0T makes only 210hp and is not as strong as the related Evo X engine, it makes the Genny a tough sell.

Any Bangled or post-Bangle BMW, and any M-B newer than the W126-chassis cars. I LOVE the way modern German V-8s sound, I just wish the cars they were dropped into didn't look so cold.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/4/11 5:22 p.m.

Mustang, Corvette, S2000, Civic (all), Evo, STI, G8, need I go on?

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
4/4/11 5:39 p.m.

C4 Corvette - I WANTED to love it, and it was a lot of fun...but I didn't love it.

E34 M5 -- Same thing. I want to really get excited about the one I have (in order to finish it and get it running!), but it just isn't clicking. Which is weird, since I love similar era 3 series....I know that the "facts" all add up to a great car, but it just doesn't quite make me as excited as, say, this

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/4/11 6:19 p.m.
BigD wrote:
Raze wrote: Drive a Fiat, I never thought you could actually 'enjoy' the sound of an engine as though it were music, something about that silly little motor...
I believe you, there are plenty of engines whose note I adore. My E34 M5 was actually one of them. But that M30 sounds absolutely horrid without a rice exhaust loud enough to drown out the mad clatter it makes. This being by far my favorite. Turn it up to 11 and prepare to bust a nut at 0:26 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMPDCNyQxE

Pssst... listen to this "other" italian...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXFm166ov-E

Right around the 1 min mark

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/4/11 6:31 p.m.

As a rule, new cars don't interest me at all, give me a old car that I can wrench on to my hearts content and I am in 7th heaven.

Any Honda FWD, just can't see what the fuss is about, and yes I have driven and autocrossed a few

But I loves me some pushrod V8

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
4/4/11 7:08 p.m.

Corvette, after 1967. And anything else by Chevy that isn't on a 4WD 1974-1978 truck chassis. Mercedes, anything that expensive should be reliable. Lexus/Acura except for the NSX. Dodge/Chrysler like the looks of some but hate the way they drive/reliability. Lincolns Cadillacs edited to add: OH YEAH the RX-8

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/4/11 7:26 p.m.

Geez, you guys are picky.

Some cars are less interesting than others but I like 'em all.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/4/11 7:32 p.m.
failboat wrote: Bugatti Veyron. It has some impressive numbers on paper, and lots of people get all worked up about it. Meh.

Ditto,

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
4/4/11 8:02 p.m.

In reply to moTthediesel:

"Anything with a pushrod V8."

I'm the total opposite. I love foreign cars with American V8's. I think first of the Brits - AC Cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, Triumph TR8, MGBV8, TVR's, etc but the Italians had a few as well - imagine an Italian exotic without the pain. Your local mechanic can work on the engine.

And let's not forget how Ford totally destroyed Ferrari in the 1960's with their "boring" pushrod V8's.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
4/4/11 8:17 p.m.

Pretty much any of the current exotic sports car crop that the mainstream media and car magazines slobber over. No Veyrons, etc for me. This is nothing new, the Testarossa and the Countach had no appeal to me (I know, sacriliege!). The 250 GTO and the Miura are the only exotics I really like and they are getting old now.

I have pretty much decided I'll never own a 911; there is just too much funky weird about them from a driving and ergo standpoint. Maybe the one that nearly flung me into a ditch had something to do with that. A Boxster would be kinda cool but honestly I'd take that kind of money and build a 914/6 first. Truthfully, the 914 is the only Porsche I like, all the others leave me cold. Well, maybe a nice 944 turbo in Guards Red would tempt me...

I love E types, the 1970's XJ (particularly the coupe) and the 1980's XJ-S but the rest of Jaguar's lineup doesn't get a second glance except as a source of donor parts for repairs or swaps.

Mercedes leave me cold too (strange considering where I work). I just don't see a damn thing they do better than an Accord etc which does it at 1/2 the price. The only thing I really like about Mercedes is their sticking with RWD. Lump BMW in this group too, the E30 was the last body style I liked.

The vast majority of American muscle cars don't appeal to me either, the 1964-68 Mustang, 1969 Camaro and 1971 Barracuda are the only ones on the plus side of the ledger and even at that their handling in stock form is a deal killer for me.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 New Reader
4/4/11 8:33 p.m.

Anything that isn't a Chrysler.

Most new Chrysler products.

I'd take a new srt8 charger or challenger but after seeing a new challenger next to a 70 I was scratching my head trying to figure out which dipE36 M3 decided to make it BIGGER.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/4/11 8:45 p.m.

Nissan Skylines and especially Silvias. Everybody around here loves them, (for good reason - cheap, RWD, great after-market.) I've driven a few, and they do nothing for me. Fast, but dull. Meh.

Exceptions, of course. I wouldn't say no to a 4-door R32, RB-turbo, on the right wheels.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/4/11 9:26 p.m.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage - so pretty, so pricey. it should kick the 911 in the nuts... but it just doesn't. Try driving one in anger without asking "why isn't this car better?!?"

BMW 7 Series - less enjoyable than the 5 series in every way

BMW 6 Series - soft, heavy, numb

Chevrolet C4 Corvette - it's hard to find a sports car with a shoddier interior

Chevrolet Camaro / Pontiac Firebird - so much heft, so much wheelbase, so much sheetmetal... and for what, exactly?

Scion TC - it's weird how disconnected the drivetrain feels

Ford-era Volvos - wallowy with zero steering feel; the very definition of understeer

JamesMcD
JamesMcD New Reader
4/4/11 9:41 p.m.

Something about ALL water-cooled VWs rubs me the wrong way. I can not generate any interest in them whatsoever. I don't know why.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/4/11 9:45 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: RSX Type S

Indeed. In 2003 I was shopping for my first new car. I drove the Mercedes C240 Sport Coupe, the Subaru WRX and the RSX. The RSX was fairly slick looking, but was gawd-awful boring. I don't know if it was what I felt was an odd looking dash, or the bottom-of-a-mousepad materials, or just that it was so sterile, but the RSX Type-S was my least favorite out of the three.

mmosbey
4/4/11 10:05 p.m.

Cadillac CTS - I drove a first-gen V6 stick. Meh. I wanted to love the thing, but it just felt big and lumbering and heavy.

Mini Cooper S - I wanted to love it, but it never really felt like it was delivering any power. Keep in mind, I'd driven an NA Miata to the dealership.

Anything from Lexus. Okay, the IS300 was passible, and the LFA sounds great and has a nifty instrument panel, but I just can't be arsed to know anything about them. I hope I'm never required to testify as to the model of a Lexus, as I'll be baffled.

Buick. If it's not a GN or GNX, I don't really notice them, except to blame them for the wretched aftermarket port hole trend.

Nissan Cube - I drove one. It's a funky little gadget, but the driving dynamics are all Uhaul Van somehow.

Nissan Sentra - SE-R? It just doesn't speak to me. Last auto-x I visited, there was a bad-ass one lifting a wheel. It was fun to watch, but I'd probably never go out of my way to own one.

Crown Vic - I drove a friend and her parents to the airport and back in one. Comfy, roomy. Sadly, it was the most uncommunicative steering I've ever used. The steering was terribly overboosted.

Note: I've learned that I can love anything if I have the possibility of acquiring it.

moTthediesel
moTthediesel New Reader
4/4/11 10:09 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to moTthediesel: "Anything with a pushrod V8." I'm the total opposite. I love foreign cars with American V8's. I think first of the Brits - AC Cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, Triumph TR8, MGBV8, TVR's, etc but the Italians had a few as well - imagine an Italian exotic without the pain. Your local mechanic can work on the engine. And let's not forget how Ford totally destroyed Ferrari in the 1960's with their "boring" pushrod V8's.

Yes, that ---- and an infusion of millions and millions of Henry II's dollars

And when the 917 showed up, they packet up the checkbook, put their tails between their legs, and took their tractor motors back to Dearborn.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
4/4/11 10:15 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: Cadillac CTS - I drove a first-gen V6 stick. Meh. I wanted to love the thing, but it just felt big and lumbering and heavy. Crown Vic - I drove a friend and her parents to the airport and back in one. Comfy, roomy. Sadly, it was the most uncommunicative steering I've ever used. The steering was terribly overboosted.

I am going to pinpoint these two and say.....DUH! That is what I love about each of them. Do you really need ''communicative steering" in a 4200 pound BOAT? Is a caddy supposed to be anything other than lumbering and heavy?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/4/11 10:31 p.m.

I don't really understand how people say that supercars don't do anything for them. Sure I could never afford one but that is kinda like saying since I can't get this.

I will take this.

mmosbey
4/4/11 10:43 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
mmosbey wrote: Cadillac CTS - I drove a first-gen V6 stick. Meh. I wanted to love the thing, but it just felt big and lumbering and heavy. Crown Vic - I drove a friend and her parents to the airport and back in one. Comfy, roomy. Sadly, it was the most uncommunicative steering I've ever used. The steering was terribly overboosted.
I am going to pinpoint these two and say.....DUH! That is what I love about each of them. Do you really need ''communicative steering" in a 4200 pound BOAT? Is a caddy supposed to be anything other than lumbering and heavy?

The CTS was, at the time, billed as a Caddy that was fun to drive. The motoring press loved it. I didn't like it.

The Crown Vic's steering had no discernable center. Little adjustments are easier if one the tactile feedback of either pushing or pulling against the wheel's tendency to self center. This wheel had very little of this tendency. It was tiring to drive. If weight is the thing: I'd rather drive a Suburban.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
4/4/11 10:55 p.m.

In reply to moTthediesel:

That's absolute nonsense. The rules changed for 1968 to favor 3.0 prototypes which eliminated the big block 7.0 Ford J cars as well as the larger engined Ferrari V12's. The rules allowed the older 5.0 litre cars since more than fifty examples had been produced. Ford officially withdrew from the program due to the rules change but John Wyer privately campaigned older 5.0 GT40's for the next two years and soundly DEFEATED the factory Porsche 908's and early 917's for 68/69. Not bad for a five year old design now running without factory development. The 917's only became dominant during 1970 at which time the 5.0 GT40 was now quite obsolete. Ford had accomplished what he wanted - destroy Ferrari. Porsche only became a major player a few years after Ford had officially ended the program. Prior to then they were only competitive in the 2.0 class with the 904's, 906's etc. The 904's could occassionally challenge the Cobras in the GT class for an over all win, but only under certain conditions.

Those pushrod V8's kicked a lot of Euro ass back then.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/4/11 11:14 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I don't really understand how people say that supercars don't do anything for them. Sure I could never afford one but that is kinda like saying since I can't get this (bombshell) I will take this (disgusting hag).

I agree. In fact, I hesitate to hate on any car I haven't been behind the wheel of. I've been lucky enough to drive some pretty sweet cars (I even started a list) and there have only been a couple which have let me down. Driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini and Audi R8 last summer made my entire year. In particular, the Ferrari 360 I got the chance to autocross completely re-wrote my frame of reference of how a car should feel at the limit.

CanadianTercel
CanadianTercel New Reader
4/4/11 11:23 p.m.

My Legacy SS turbo.

It's quick, it sounds awesome, it guzzles gas at 20mpg, i think it looks great. but it's 2 axles too many to be exciting. Maybe I need to live near a quarry to really appreciate it.

At this moment i can't think of any care I love and hate.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
4/4/11 11:35 p.m.

Really, Anything super modern. I dont care that the new paddle trans is faster, that the anti-lock stops better, that the computers and awd make it so you can pull out of the corner better. In the end, a robot car would be the fastest, and wouldnt make mistakes! But on the other hand nobody just watches the CPU race by itself on Forza for a reason. Dont tell me a car is cool for the same reasons.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
4/4/11 11:43 p.m.

Ok here goes.

Any and all Diesels.

I cannot stand the sound nor the smell. Every diesel sounds like a UPS truck to me and honestly I would rather hang out outside a bar with 6 dozen cigarette smokers than have to breath the noxious gag inducing fumes that spew from the exhaust of the average diesel truck. Worse yet if they are "tuned" and release that goopy black smoke on acceleration. I hate the way my clothes smell when I walk past an idling diesel.

Is it only me who wonders why gas engine catalyst equipped trucks have their exhaust tips pointed down yet diesels always have their freaking ridiculously oversized 6" exhausts pointed right into my berkleying open window?

Oddly enough I vastly prefer the smell of unburnt diesel to unburnt gasoline. If I get gas in my clothes or on my skin it drives me nuts for hours but diesel is no problem.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dhKDpUFkCICaORZwCvYlQ6OvrdS32Gr9nshr64EZpMOmnLpX7Sinw2QRZZV2aDLL