1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/14/14 1:47 p.m.

Also I should point out I am very close to this place.

http://www.thefierofactory.com/

They have a ton of Fiero parts cars. So if y'all need anything I can help get them if anyone could pick the parts up from me.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/14/14 2:30 p.m.

Either Vince or I can run it down the track, but no promises it will drive back in the same shape.

I have the trophy to prove it

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/14/14 8:05 p.m.

I have an exhaust temperature gauge but no wide band O2 unfortunately. I will go through my spring collection and post what I have for us to use.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/14/14 8:53 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Do a quick compression check on #3 to make sure it's good mechanically.

I second this lets make sure we have a healthy engine before we go down this road...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/14 9:15 p.m.

Baby powder is an effective deterrent to fire ants. Grab a couple of containers and circle the work area with it.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/14 10:38 p.m.

I'll gladly take a pass or two down the strip, and I've never blown up a car doing so.... Oh wait....

That said it wasn't entirely my fault, myself and the other 5? People forgot to check the diff fluid before the event. Welded solid diff count as blowing one up?

Spinout007
10/14/14 10:40 p.m.

MrJoshua and discussed a plan of attack with the ants today, one of us will hit the corner with ant poison sometime later this week, and early next week. Gah only 7.5 days left till we get digging on this thing.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/15/14 11:45 a.m.

The compression will be checked Sunday.

If I puchase a wide band 0 O2 can we get it installed and What wide band part # do you guys want? He is unsure of what map sensor it is, should I order a spare?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/15/14 12:13 p.m.

Will, find out what the engine came out of (year model etc...) What spares should I get from the junk yard? Injectors, harness, any specific sensors etc.. Do we need any fiero specific parts? I can go to the yard on Tuesday or Wednesday

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/15/14 12:59 p.m.

If it runs with all the stock sensors then MegaSquirt should be fine with them. I’m not sure what circuit board modifications will be needed to use MegaSquirt with the stock ignition system. If you get a chance can you open MegaSquirt and take a picture of both sides of the board to see if anything has already been done to it and what version it is?

Also what size injectors are in it?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/14 1:24 p.m.

Really wish I could be there for this.

Will definitely be there in spirit. Good luck, guys!

Spinout007
10/15/14 1:37 p.m.
bluej wrote: Really wish I could be there for this. Will definitely be there in spirit. Good luck, guys!

12 hour drive, crash on someone's floor, party, 12 hour's home. Easy really

Edit, Dc is prob closer to 16 hours, but you get the idea

Spinout007
10/15/14 1:41 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Also what size injectors are in it?

THIS! Just looked at the ad again.

seller said: Higher flow rate fuel injectors have been installed as well.

CL link again, so I don't have to hunt for it any more

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/14 2:26 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
bluej wrote: Really wish I could be there for this. Will definitely be there in spirit. Good luck, guys!
12 hour drive, crash on someone's floor, party, 12 hour's home. Easy really Edit, Dc is prob closer to 16 hours, but you get the idea

I think it was about 14.5 in one shot heading back last year. Too many commitments this year to go back to back years. I'll be back next year to spectate at least.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/15/14 2:53 p.m.

30 lb injectors

This is what I have gotten from the seller

The cast iron block is from a 3.4L and the heads and top end are from a 3.1L. I used the 3.1L top end to save weight(aluminum heads) I believe the map sensor is from a 3.1L turbocharged car from GM might need to check the numbers on it MegaSquirt-II PCB v3.57 (SMT) engine management system Just a stock O2 sensor

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/15/14 3:15 p.m.

I read the add again. Look like it has an HEI style distributor and not coil packs like I was thinking. MS wiring should not be too bad. The stock map sensor built into MS should be fine up to 20-21 psi. We will run out of fuel before we hit that.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/15/14 3:27 p.m.

30lb injectors are pretty rare and finding them in a junk yard will probably be difficult. Does anyone have a few spares laying around? My research indicates that they come out of a svo mustang or a thunderbird super coupe. Does some one with more turbo knowledge then me know if those are the appropriate size for a 3.4 liter turbo v6. Do we need to look for larger ones? Would we need a 3 bar MAP, they are available on ebay for around 30 dollars but time is running out.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/15/14 3:34 p.m.

30-36 lbs injectors are common in supercharged GM 3800’s. Same ones we run in the turbo Jeep and made 275whp at 100 duty cycle. If you crush the fuel pressure regulator you can spike pressure and make them flow closer to 42’s.

Edit: I think I might have an extra set of 6 I could bring with me.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/14 3:54 p.m.

Re: Bosch Injectors; this might help:

http://thedodgegarage.com/turbo_fuel.html

and:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

The Chrysler Spirit FFV or Flex Fuel cars came with E85 safe 33lb/hr injectors and regulator:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?42040-FFV-injector-actual-flow

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/na_efi_ffv.html

and if you need an adjustable regulator, you can modify a Bosch style regulator pretty easily:

http://www.ricdidonato.com/Downtime/mods.html

its fairly adaptable to similar style regulators.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/15/14 3:56 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

Great if you can't find them let me know and I will pick some up, I am sure that there are some supercharged 3800's in the junk yard near me.

Spinout007
10/15/14 4:33 p.m.

We don't need the 3 bar sensor. The fiero forums talk about 7-8 psi non intercooled on a daily driver with iron heads. With aluminum heads we can squeeze a bit more in there. With E85 or race fuel we might get close to 18-20psi. Even with the compression dropped a bit getting more than 20 is going to be getting into unproven territory. if we can find a side mount or small charge cooler in the yard it would be helpful in pushing a bit more air in there.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/15/14 4:39 p.m.

I have a small intercooler in my attic I will pull it out.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/15/14 5:14 p.m.

I pulled out my springs. I have a complete set of 8 inch ers springs with an unknown spring rates. I have two 9 inch unknown rate springs and two 5.5 inch 350 lb springs. I also have a complete 1995 miata suspension for more options (maybe cut and put on the front).

Spinout007
10/15/14 5:43 p.m.

I know a guy with a muffler shop. Can we find out what size the charge piping is? I'll grab a few scraps in that size incase we have time to fab up the piping for the cooler.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/15/14 8:32 p.m.

I got down the intercooler. It has a 24 inch by 6 inch core that is 4 inches thick. It has two inch inlets. It is not the ideal configuration for this application but we may be able to make it work. I have a few couplers as well... A top mount style would probably be better for what we are doing, does any one have one laying around?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
THAUnBWIKBPzdQoR0wpHTL58hXMX15yvfr9efLTXZB9Dya3tNHQYVpwylHL7StQF