1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/16/14 4:07 p.m.

This is what I am thinking, I will order the innovative mtx off amazon that way if we don't use it I can return it. Then if we don't blow the car up I'll look into getting the lc2 off ebay so I don't take such a large budget hit for next year, it isn't like we have time to recoup money on this.

I would rather be over prepared and have to return things then underprepared and not have a running car.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/16/14 4:22 p.m.

You should be able to get the Innovate Motorsports 3795 for $160 from Amazon too. Just buy it for this year and worry about selling stuff off for $2015

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001QFH2RW/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1413494381&sr=8-2&keywords=innovate+lc2&condition=new

WillrunifChased
10/16/14 4:28 p.m.

It is on the way, do we need anything else?

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/16/14 4:47 p.m.

Nice!

Does anyone have a butane soldering iron they can bring? Might be convenient if we have any wires or MegaSquirt mods we need to solder and we don’t have to tie up the extension cord.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/16/14 6:54 p.m.

I have a butane soldering iron, I will throw it in the toolbox

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/14 7:31 p.m.

Got some interesting reading the mail today. The author lists the following spring rates:

Stock 4 Cyl Front 179.5LBS/inch Rear 228.0LBS/inch

Stock 6 Cyl Front 208.1LBS/inch Rear 250.8LBS/inch

He claims to have gotten the following by cutting exactly 1 coil, he also claims to have gotten a 1” drop:

Cut 6 cyl front 214LBS/inch rear 241LBS/inch

Stock 6cyl rear rate is 121% of the front. With the supplied 350lbs/inch in the rear we would need 292lbs/inch to keep the stock front/rear bias.

Stock 4Cyl rear rate is 127% of the front. Same math as above with the 350lbs/inch rears would be ~275lbs/inch fronts.

The author swapped to a 1” front sway from a .9 front sway bar. He sourced it from the Fiero Store. He also added that in adding a rear sway to the car it went from mild understeer to spin prone. As in the slightest inattention in a corner, would result in a spin on an AutoX course.

I grabbed this book specifically because it dealt with the turbo 3.4 swap, I’m still reading the turbo section, and it address’ the addition of an intercooler, and pushing boost out to 16psi. I’ll post more when I get a full grip on what I’m reading.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/16/14 8:26 p.m.

Was this car a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder originally? This car has a rear sway already installed, would a square spring set up with the rear sway be a better option? What setup do other people who autocross fiero's run?

WillrunifChased
10/18/14 10:36 a.m.

I will post pictures and a list of everything I can bring with me later tonight.

Also I think a square setup or as close to it in spring rates we can get will work fine +-100 front to rear.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/18/14 11:57 a.m.

Can you include pics of the rear suspension modifications.

WillrunifChased
10/18/14 4:10 p.m.

This is the basics of what I have available. I won't have the car in my possession till Monday afternoon to take pictures of the car. Notice I don't have a jack that I can bring.

2- 10" 325 lb

2 10" 375 lb

2- 7 500

2- 7 350 ish

2- 6 750

2- 6 450

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/18/14 5:04 p.m.

I am bringing, a 10x10 canopy, a folding table, a vise, a Lincoln 120v mig welder with gas, a heavy duty extension cord that can run the welder, a grinder with cutting discs and grinding wheels, a halogen light, electric drill, electric impact, sockets, butane soldering iron, multimeter, and a light tester. I am also bringing an intercooler, and my collection of springs, in addition to some scrap metal in case we need to fabricate something.

Are we going to try and paint this thing if we have time or are we rocking the yellow?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
10/18/14 5:36 p.m.

I'll bring a jack, another extension cord, more soldering stuff, and beer. That last one is important.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/18/14 9:21 p.m.

I forgot the beer and jack. I am bringing those as well

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/14 7:23 a.m.

Things seem to be coming together nicely! I am eager to help out wherever I can. With so many pitching in to bring tools and equipment I don't feel too bad about showing up empty handed with only my half crippled ass and some mediocre knowledge to share...

In stark contrast to typical parking lot fare, I will probably pick up somewhat healthy stuff like plenty of water and maybe some fresh fruit. Really, I am pretty used to fixing stuff up with little more than duct tape and sweat so no worries here!

I think the plans are all sounding good at this point. I will be sure to speak up if I have anything important to add. Make sure to post up if there is more specific research to do or items to account for so that it can be worked out.

I have completely abandoned my hunt for my own last minute car to campaign. I thought cars couldn't rust out in the south, but the Italians seemed to figure out how to make that happen decades ago... Throwing wrenches at this old Pontiac seems like it will be more fun anyway.

WillrunifChased
10/19/14 11:17 a.m.

Cylinder 1: 160psi Cylinder 2: 160psi Cylinder 3: 160psi Cylinder 4: 160psi Cylinder 5: 160psi Cylinder 6: 160psi

Was a bad plug and the cylinder fires again.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/14 12:01 p.m.

In reply to WillrunifChased:

Excellent!

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/19/14 1:37 p.m.

Great! After you go over the car let me know what you need me to pick up at the junkyard.

Spinout007
10/19/14 9:19 p.m.

This is coming together nicely.

My list so far of stuff to bring:

Jack stands

10x20 canopy x2, one of them has walls if the weather turns nasty we'll still be able to work if need be. At least one of these will be going to the track for spectating and swap meet stuff.

Shop rags

Nitrile Gloves; I picked up a box of L and XL today

Cooler and 40lbs of ice, water, soda, etc. TB if you want to bring some fruit or something, we can throw it in the cooler.

Generator

Compressor with, impact, drill, bits for drill, 3/8 ratchet

Going to try to get my hands on a cheap grill, if I can I'll grab some charcoal and dogs?

I can't really bring my jack out as I'm pretty spoiled on that point and use a piece of agricultural equipment when I need to lift a vehicle. (pick it up, place jack stands, put it down)

Propane torch and spare tank of propane

penetrating fluid/WD40

RTV

Laptop with licensed Tunerstudio and Megalog viewer MS installed and a link cable

Whiteboard with multiple dry erase markers for organizing tasks

Small folding table

Pair of sawhorses with enough 8' 2x4's to make a decent workbench

Extension cord and a powerstrip

internet access

Tripod with an ipad attachment to do a timelapse video.

Rivet gun with an assortment of rivets

Black spray paint.

2 folding chairs and a camp stool

pair 6x8 tarps incase we need to cover anything.

a moving blanket or two incase they're needed to lay on

Am I forgetting anything?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/19/14 9:31 p.m.

We need light. Overhead, headlamps, etc... This could go on all night. A fan or two set on low at one end would help keep mosquitoes away. Bug spray.

Spinout007
10/19/14 9:46 p.m.

I think pimpm3 said he's bringing a halogen light out, I've got a pair I can go get if need be. I've got a box fan I can drag out as well.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/19/14 9:52 p.m.

I've got some fans as well.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/19/14 10:13 p.m.

I have one small halogen and a larger one with two on a stand. I can bring both. I am bringing my jack and a small cooler.

I can hit up the junk yard tuesday or wednesday. Waiting on a list of what we need...

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/14 6:44 a.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: Cylinder 1: 160psi Cylinder 2: 160psi Cylinder 3: 160psi Cylinder 4: 160psi Cylinder 5: 160psi Cylinder 6: 160psi Was a bad plug and the cylinder fires again.

Glad to see all this happening here...
This should continue to be an interesting story!

miatame
miatame HalfDork
10/20/14 8:32 a.m.

This thread is awesome, and one of the main reasons I put myself and family through this every year!

Drove the challenge car to work today. Crossing my fingers!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/20/14 10:22 a.m.
PseudoSport wrote: You should be able to get the Innovate Motorsports 3795 for $160 from Amazon too. Just buy it for this year and worry about selling stuff off for $2015 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001QFH2RW/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1413494381&sr=8-2&keywords=innovate+lc2&condition=new

You should just be able tune with almost any wideband sensor plugged into MS, and then remove it for the race to save some budget buck$. You don't actually need the sensor to run the engine once the tune is set. So if anyone has an extra wideband lying around, all you need is a threaded bung to weld into the exhaust, 12V power (fuel pump relay often works well), ground the sensor with the MS box, and plug it into the MS O2 input.

EDIT: just saw your previous post, about removing the sensor to avoid a budget hit. Good call. Who needs datalogging anyway?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WHWSdVHGxz9feP8m42cteRcuGgzp6OQECrC6rceuDsdTh4sb1oM0WS1WHx2eduw2