1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/20/14 1:49 p.m.

Car is now in my possession.

This cap need to be bypassed.

The coolant overflow needs attached

Could use any intake related parts, because I don't know where all the vacuum leaks are.

Intake tubes could use beading? Owner said sometimes they would blow off even under 6-7 psi

Exhaust is probably the heaviest thing left.

Does anyone need anymore pictures???

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/14 2:45 p.m.

sweet baby Jesus. This thing is gonna rock.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/20/14 2:52 p.m.

Does any one have a beading tool they can bring? Does harbour freight sell one?

stan_d
stan_d Dork
10/20/14 3:01 p.m.

Put hair spray on the intake pipes. When it dries it glues.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/20/14 3:04 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Does any one have a beading tool they can bring? Does harbour freight sell one?

Cheap vise grips, exhaust clamps, and a welder can make some.

WillrunifChased
10/20/14 4:03 p.m.

I did pick up spark plugs 1 and 2 steps colder.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/20/14 4:32 p.m.

Do y'all still need those hood pins?

WillrunifChased
10/20/14 5:20 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

No, some came with the car

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/20/14 5:48 p.m.

What is that intake manifold off of? It doesn't look like a fiero 6cylinder or a gm 3.1 liter.

Willrunifchased is there any fiero specific parts we need from the yard? What do you need me to pick up intake wise? Do we need any other injectors etc? Let me know I am planning on going to the yard Wednesday,

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/21/14 8:42 a.m.

That intake manifold looks like a homebrew concoction... possibly a source of leaks right there.

My favorite method to find most leaks is to pressurize with a boost leak test and just check with soapy water. Anyone have one? They can be put together easily with a pvc plumbing cap and a tire valve stem something like so:

Just attach to turbo inlet and pump a few psi into the system. I think I gave mine away with the sale of my last turbo car, but will check my box of stuff.

The hairspray trick definitely works to help hold hoses on. "Beads" can also be "fabricated" with JB weld in a pinch. If there are extra clamps available then doubling up where possible can also help. I am amazed they do not hold at so low of a pressure but it can be addressed.

My other quick thought is spring compressors for the suspension; anyone have any? It looks like there is great access to try to swap them but they can be unwieldy and dangerous at times. I think that swapping what we can in an attempt at a good height and squarish setup is easily done but quick and safe are very important. Many parts stores loan these out and even harbor freight ones will work for a weekend or so and I know that a E36 M3 ton of zip ties / hose clamps can also be used if need be...

Am I the only one that wants to cut the exhaust pipe directly post turbo, turn it up 90 degrees and run it through the decklid (if that even gets attached, seems low priority at this point) with no more muffling than the snail provides...

I am really loving how this is coming together and the way everyone is already pitching in at full tilt without hardly knowing each other or even barely seeing the car itself. I wish I could contribute more but we have plenty of deft hands and able minds collaborating in a way almost exclusive the the GRM world these days and I am just happy to be a minor player somewhere in the crowd.

WillrunifChased
10/21/14 9:04 a.m.

I have spring compressors.

I agree about the exhaust.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
10/21/14 9:31 a.m.

This is going to be awesome! I wish I could be there to help. The car looks a lot better than I thought it was going to. Some of the welds look a little sketchy, but I'm just spoiled by my dad's welds. They should hold. I will be following from Penn State, so keep us posted! Good Luck!

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/21/14 11:00 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid:

You are totally spoiled; your Dad is an artist! That being said, I agree with your overall assessment.

I'll just get this out of the way now:

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/21/14 12:09 p.m.

Was wondering how long till someone threw that out there.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/21/14 2:04 p.m.

We can make a smoker to test for vacuum leaks with a glow plug , a coffee can and some baby oil. I will try to get the parts to make one tonight.

When are you heading down willrunifchased?

WillrunifChased
10/21/14 2:11 p.m.

I will be leaving early tomorrow from york, I'm hoping to make it 9-10 pm.

If anyrhing pick up a spare set of 30# injectors or if you found a ford with 32# injectors that would be great. I'm not sure what Chevy manifold would bolt up. A gas pedal would be nice.

I did pack some rolls of plastic and a 10x10 pop up tent incase we need to make a makeshift paint booth.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/21/14 3:45 p.m.

What color were you thinking of painting it? Battleship Grey like this scion would be sweet!

WillrunifChased
10/21/14 4:22 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

That color would be great. If you see any stock 14" fiero wheels pick them up.

I also threw in two tables in the back of my truck, a few coolers ice water soda miller lite.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/21/14 6:31 p.m.

I will get 6 30lb injectors. Anyone know what intake manifold I should look for?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/21/14 6:35 p.m.

Are the Hoosiers 14's?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/21/14 6:41 p.m.

I got the parts to make a smoke tester, I will assemble it tonight.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/21/14 6:45 p.m.

hey if the crowd gets to thick on the build I need to install an auxillary oil setup off the 302 in the sunbeam . The oil filter setup is dripping some oil . Also a lower hose on the rad has pinhole . Rollins speed shop has the aftermarket oil setup . rollins speed shop free beer free food drive time be there thurs noon

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/21/14 6:46 p.m.

I also got four cans of rustoleum "smoke grey" from Walmart. I am sure we will need more but that's what they had at the one I went to. They are like 3.99 each

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/14 7:10 p.m.

WillrunifChased
10/21/14 7:48 p.m.

Car is currently equipped with a set of 225-45-15 hoosier a6. I had to run out to get spacers for the rear today for fitment issues. I have a brand new set of 205-55/14 hankook c71 slicks in the back of my truck.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O5WbfsF9GSspKVHYvDTT0ZJsSHZE2oAmFFBpQyy06iQ4ti7cAvWECStiaiIYVywa