1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/09 12:45 p.m.

Every plastic shop sells Miata front windshields, you just have to trim off the extra stuff that's not part of the windsheild Doesn't take long to do. I used 1/4" when I built ours. The arc of the windshield is minor, you don't need a formed sheet as it'll easy bend to shape.

The hard part is drilling the rivet holes in the windshield frame. It's definitely not the same steel as the rest of the car!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/14 6:47 p.m.

Frankenthread!

I'm interested in replacing the lexan on the car below with a higher screen to allow helmetless freeway driving. I don't plan to use the top anytime soon, and would like to use the frame as is. That means that I'm highly reliant on the screws holding the screen in, and that the screen doesn't fold up on itself. Has anyone done this? Bad idea? What Polycarbonite thickness?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/22/14 10:54 p.m.

So long as its got some curvature to it, it oughta hold up. Worst case you add a metal strip to the top and a little strut between it and the dash like a lot of MGs used IIRC.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/23/14 5:41 a.m.

National Cycle did a video showing the differences, with an emphasis on motorcycle windshields. Something to consider for the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

Tahoe
Tahoe Reader
7/23/14 5:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: There's no reason to buy a Lexan/polycarbonate window. The stuff is really easy to work, and you can bend it to shape. Here's how to put it in a Miata hardtop: http://targamiata.com/tags.php?tag=lexan%20window . I've also installed vent windows that look completely stock until you tap on the glass, using the factory gaskets etc. Note that even with the fairly tight bend on that window, I didn't need to heat or form the plastic in any way. Lexan shatter strength is considerably higher than glass. As for why - well, it's a cheap way to save fairly significant weight. 20-50 lbs is significant to me, and I imagine it's a pretty high percentage of a 1977 Civic. I've also done it a few times to allow for extra venting. You can put a NACA duct in a plastic window easily, it's not so easy to do with glass. Same with exhaust vents on the rear window in a race car.

I need to read that thread. I'm seriously thinking of putting Lexan side windows and rear hard top window in my '64 Elan. I could even do a windshield since I have an extra windshield frame. A light car already, but it never hurts to shave a few more pounds off.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/14 7:54 p.m.

I bought a house that evidently was owned by a frame shop some time ago (as in picture frames). In the basement they left a bunch of 48"x48"x ~3/16 lexan, several 48"x96"x1/8" plexiglass and a bunch of 18"x24"x1/8" glass.

Do the plastics have a shelf life? If not I may have to list this E36 M3 in the classifieds.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mT8KcxzTtw1GPPngv5I2mqAjVbeQhobsNk9erSiKLvdkZqrFMqun0wIw1d9KfsKl