1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
9/21/12 6:47 a.m.

My wife and I bought a G35x back in 2004. She had it for about 2.5 years and loved every minute of it. It handled really well, was pretty fast and was a great commuter. Fuel mileage stunk, around 18mpg. It did eat brakes pretty quickly, but it could also stop on a dime. Really nice car.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/21/12 7:23 a.m.

The IS300 is, essentially, a 4-door Mk IV Supra...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/21/12 7:41 a.m.

I was never a fan of the GS interior, hate the orange and the fake aluminum rubs off under wear.

However I hate the "instrument binnacle" of the IS300 and that goofy watchface that serves as a tach.

If it were the 35 Coupe, no question it would win. Sedan, I think the nod goes to the IS.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/21/12 7:43 a.m.

For reference, the VW GTI.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/12 8:13 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I was never a fan of the GS interior, hate the orange and the fake aluminum rubs off under wear.

If fake aluminum is all it takes, I've been doing it wrong.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/12 9:32 a.m.

The IS may be a 4 door but the back seat is a joke. If you need to be able to haul more than 2 people I would go with the G.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
9/21/12 3:24 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: For reference, the VW GTI.

Wow, I really like that interior.

nitro_alltrac
nitro_alltrac GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/21/12 6:43 p.m.

I've found a couple of each here in town so I'm going to try and go look at each one this weekend. I really need to check the "fit" in the IS. I also need to look over the G seriously as I've only really just looked at them passing on the street. Hopefully this will help to narrow things down.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/12 7:01 p.m.

Some people have built very tasty IS300s in Japan, mainly by turning into tweaked Supras.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/21/12 7:09 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: However I hate the "instrument binnacle" of the IS300 and that goofy watchface that serves as a tach.

I don't.

M3Loco
M3Loco New Reader
9/21/12 8:39 p.m.

I recently purchased an 07 G35 Sedan with all the options, black/black. The navigation is by far the best I've ever used. It kicks IDrive in the butt. The car is a dream to drive. I was tossing between this and the IS300 also. Made a few phone calls to a friend who just recently bought an 05 G35 and he also recommended the G35 over the Lexus. The back seat in the Lexus is unusable for an adult.

The 300 or so horses in one of the best engines ever built by Nissan is good to have.

Good Luck!

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/21/12 9:16 p.m.

I test drove both in the lightly-used market. I bought a 30-month lease return 325i with half the mileage for about the same money as either one.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/21/12 9:19 p.m.

San Antonio you say? Sounds like a meet over lunch is in order at some point.

Your profile shows an IS350 already. Did you skip the IS300 middleman and buy a 350, or is that a spouse car or something like that?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
9/23/12 4:27 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I'd go for the IS300. The G35 sedans don't have nearly as many of the performance goodies of the G35 coupes, so you're going to have to swap a lot of stuff over. There are a lot of oil-burning issues with the G35's V6, as well. The blocks weren't cast correctly, and the cylinders are oblong instead of round...

i haven't got anything against either one, but almost nothing you just said about the infiniti is true.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/24/12 8:21 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: I'd go for the IS300. The G35 sedans don't have nearly as many of the performance goodies of the G35 coupes, so you're going to have to swap a lot of stuff over. There are a lot of oil-burning issues with the G35's V6, as well. The blocks weren't cast correctly, and the cylinders are oblong instead of round...
i haven't got anything against either one, but almost nothing you just said about the infiniti is true.

Really? What isn't true? Nissan had to recall and/or buy back G35s that were burning oil because of improper casting. There was even a TSB for it.

http://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/188688-owners-vq-oil-consumption.html

As for the sedans not being equipped with all of the performance goodies that the coupes were, this build article outlines adding the coupe's brembo brakes to the sedan:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1854/project-infiniti-g35-part-2-improving-stopping-power-with-brembo-project-mu-and-dba.aspx

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
9/24/12 9:45 a.m.

We have an IS, never drove the G35. I still think the IS looks great, it handles real nice, and the engine feels stronger than the numbers say. But I also agree that for what it is, 19 mpg is wtf-nuts.

What's especially ironic about the sucky mileage is that the new IS-350, with ~50% more power, gets slightly better mileage...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
9/24/12 11:56 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
belteshazzar wrote:
Really? What isn't true? Nissan had to recall and/or buy back G35s that were burning oil because of improper casting. There was even a TSB for it. http://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/188688-owners-vq-oil-consumption.html As for the sedans not being equipped with all of the performance goodies that the coupes were, this build article outlines adding the coupe's brembo brakes to the sedan: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1854/project-infiniti-g35-part-2-improving-stopping-power-with-brembo-project-mu-and-dba.aspx

the TSB doesn't say anything about casting. i didn't read as deeply, but the thread on that G35 site didn't seem to either.

as far as i know, the oil burning is a piston ring issue, just like half the other modern cars on the road with a similar problem.

and it's not like there's a long list of performance features missing. track-ready brembos? okay, yeah, some coupes had that. i'd bet a dollar the base brake setup on the G is comparable to anything the IS came with. shocks that are probably due for replacement anyway. and what, bigger sway bars? c'mon man.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V0YG4xGyiZfxZDdNym4jrZA1mTG7XupUGZ5NxP2yXvXWLhwqGfLiwpYpx6G2JiMI