rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
6/16/15 8:37 p.m.

http://myliftstand.com/

Never heard of these before? Anyone on the board tried them? Or, in true GRM fashion, anyone made something similar?

-Rob

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/15 8:48 p.m.

I've stuck a bottle jack under a jackstand's center before. Note: DON'T DO THIS. They get reeeeeaally tippy.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/15 9:06 p.m.

80% of the time I'm lifting a car, it's because I need to work on something that involves removing the wheels. The other 20% of the time, I use ramps. IOW, I wouldn't have much use for those.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/16/15 9:36 p.m.

Google image search "cribbing blocks car", you can put them under the tires or under the frame/pinch welds/strong spots. If you're VERY CAREFUL you can even put them under the floor jack.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
6/16/15 10:16 p.m.

Yet another reason why the best jack stand is 18" chunks of a 6x6 post.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal Reader
6/17/15 9:04 a.m.

Yeah I'm a cribbing blocks guy too for three kinds of jobs:

Underbody when I need the suspension loaded.

When I need all four corners of the car up, and there's any way I can possibly do the work with the wheels on (so I don't have to trust jack stands). Like tranny swaps and custom exhaust work.

When I need to put all four corners up on jack stands, I put one end on cribbing blocks, then the other end on jack stands, then I go back and raise the cribbing block end just a bit and put in the jack stands instead. (I get really nervous moving one end of the car around much if the other end is on jack stands).

Except my cribbing blocks are 8 layers of 2X12, cut long and wood-screwed together, so they're super-stable. When I'm working on jack stands, I put 'em under the frame rails as back-ups if the stands puke.

It doesn't happen very often, but I HAVE had to go around my current garage and put stuff back on shelves after an earthquake.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jd3oLkWiI99DyUUa8JwGHczSMuy7DPme6fCnKWrYHB5UtX8PDyLMtpMqyyRuUbT1