emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
11/18/08 10:23 a.m.

Folks,

So at the last weigh in the Racecar was portly by about 60 pounds....

It currently has a standard spec battery that weighs 34 pounds.

Does anyone know of guidelines that will help select a lightweight battery?

Motor specs: 3.5l Buick V8, 11:00 to 1 compression. Starts easily with current Battery/carb/etc. Rarely started below 40 degrees F.

I am looking for a 14 or 15 pound battery. Can I get one of these that will start the motor and cost less than $100?

TIA,

Rog Smith

Autolex
Autolex Reader
11/18/08 10:36 a.m.

odyssey PC680, 15Lbs, I paid right at $100 shipped for mine.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
11/18/08 12:52 p.m.

That's what I use but it has to only start 2.0L.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/18/08 1:00 p.m.

try a motorcycle battery, you might be surprised what they can do. most motorcycles have a compression ratio of 12:1 or more, may be even tougher to start than a 3.5l buick , but I dunno.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
11/18/08 1:29 p.m.

I use a Deka ETX14L they're about $70 online, works fine all summer to crank 2.8L. The dead of winter it cranks slowly.

Will
Will New Reader
11/18/08 2:38 p.m.

A Braille B14115 works well on my 3.8 liter supercharged Ford V6, but compression is only 8.85:1.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/18/08 3:20 p.m.

I use a Hawker Genesis G16EP, 13.5lbs. It is used to crank over a 2.5L 12.5:1 compression 4 cylinder. Not only will it crank the motor, but with a welded diff I accidentally tried to start the car while it was in reverse and strapped to the trailer still. It managed to spin both tires and crank the motor, so I think it should do fine on about anything. :)

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
11/18/08 4:38 p.m.
blaze86vic wrote: I use a Hawker Genesis G16EP, 13.5lbs. It is used to crank over a 2.5L 12.5:1 compression 4 cylinder. Not only will it crank the motor, but with a welded diff I accidentally tried to start the car while it was in reverse and strapped to the trailer still. It managed to spin both tires and crank the motor, so I think it should do fine on about anything. :)

Pretty informative:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm

Will
Will New Reader
11/18/08 7:16 p.m.

Powermaster also unveiled a new line of very small batteries at SEMA (one is 4 pounds) that are interesting.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
11/19/08 12:25 p.m.

Guys,

Thanks for all the help. The URL from Hasbro was excellent.

I have been trolling the WEB for about an hour looking for a standard Battery box for this size battery....No Luck.

Any Guidance for small plastic battery boxes?

Thanks,

Rog

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/08 12:31 p.m.

Hmm I might pick up one of these for the AE92 and put my (still too heavy) Hankook gel battery in the Sammy to replace that leaky flooded lead-acid POS in there right now.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
11/19/08 12:54 p.m.

I got my PC680 and a folded aluminum (sleeve style) bracket for $133 Shipped.

Here

The Batt is $121 and the code at the top of the description gives you another $20 off, and the bracket is $32. I am pretty sure I had free shipping.

evildky
evildky Dork
11/19/08 11:58 p.m.

I also have the 680 in my 240Z, I got ait a few yers ago and got it for under $100, wieghs 13 lbs and works great so long as you don't leave any accessories on

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
12/25/08 11:21 a.m.

Thanks again to all the posters.

I bought the Hawker Genesys 12V16EP. Cranks the motor like a charm.

Battery box headscratchers....

SCCA Solo rules say that "..any Wet cell battery moved from standard position MUST be in a battery box...."

After talking with the Hawker sales engineer, she stated that the battery above is NOT a Gel cell. (Gel cells do not require a battery box per SCCA.), and the Hawker battery is Nonspillable. "Nonspillable" is prominent on the top of the battery.

Sooooo....do I go cautious and put this little beauty in a plastic box, or am I gonna pass Tech without the box?

Thanks to all.

Oh yeah...Happy Holidays to all us motorsports deprived gearheads !! (Everyone else as well!)

Rog

amaff
amaff HalfDork
12/25/08 12:37 p.m.

is it inside the passenger compartment or still in the stock location? If it's in the stock location you're fine. If it's not, you're probably still fine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea in any case.

yellowstonepart
yellowstonepart
1/18/10 12:25 a.m.

黄河石柴油机配件厂是一家领先的制造商之一 发动机零部件,特别是柴油燃油喷射系统 更换配件,如喷油嘴,柱塞和, 交付阀等在中国南部。   欲了解更多详情请访问我们的网站:www.yellowstonediesel.com www.dieselinjection.cn   黄河石柴油机配件厂始建于1997.Over多年来, 黄河石不断成长,并赢得了声誉生产 高品质的产品和提供他们的时间

bamalama
bamalama Reader
1/18/10 12:34 a.m.

canoe fail, wrong language

924guy
924guy Dork
1/18/10 7:23 a.m.
yellowstone said: Yellow Stone Diesel Parts Plant is one of the leading manufacturers of engine parts, in particular diesel fuel injection system replacement parts, such as nozzle, plunger, and, delivery valve in southern China. For more information, please visit our website: www. Yellowstonediesel. Com www. Dieselinjection. Cn Yellow Stone Diesel Parts Factory was founded in 1997. Over the years, the Yellow River Stone continued to grow, and won a reputation for producing high-quality products and their time

Time to be de activated yellowstone...bye bye......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCPItnWRMk0k9BQmsLv8eLhy6lgHC854KnjkF6QoeeDGMggUqPinqy0hzVarJo7x