1 2
nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/11/14 11:33 a.m.

Let's hear your reactions:

We all know that Miatas are The Answer -- a proven formula of sweet handling, robust aftermarket, low running costs, cheap enough to be disposable. But when it comes to track driving, they leave a lot to be desired in the area of straight-line performance.

Adding power adds cost and complexity, but taking away weight costs nothing--you can even make money back by selling the parts you remove. With that in mind, a local enthusiast has started ruthlessly stripping salvage Miatas and turning them into super low cost track cars like the one pictured above. The formula is: find a cheap sports car, take off absolutely everything, add safety, done.

Apparently the car in the photo is about 1,500 lbs wet, street legal, and a total blast to drive on track. Its significantly faster than it was before, stops shorter, and corners much harder too. Top-end speed is very drag limited, but how much over 100mph do those of us doing HPDEs and track days really need to be moving?

The builders have maybe $3K in cash sunk into the car, including the wheels, tires, Konis, Ground Controls and swaybars. Everything that needs wrenching is super accessible.

Yes, its ugly. But it's also cheap, easy and super light, so I don't understand why this naked-car formula isn't already popular among the track-day set. What am I missing?

PS - I'm already trying to picture one of these things with a modified baby-grand stock car body dropped over it.

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
8/11/14 11:37 a.m.

I'd drive it. But I'm having a hard time seeing how it's street-legal.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/14 11:39 a.m.

needs more seat padding and steering rack before I'd consider rocking it

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/11/14 11:41 a.m.

Genius. Any more info on that car?

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/11/14 11:49 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Genius. Any more info on that car?

They're about to build a second car with a re-engineered roll cage. Once the cage design, front-end config and lighting is settled they plan to start taking orders for turnkey cars. I'm watching for updates on their fb page: facebook.com/SalvageW0N

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
8/11/14 11:58 a.m.

So they're building an Exocet, minus the 'good looks'...

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/11/14 12:16 p.m.

I'm a big Exocet fan, and this project will likely appeal to the same customer demographic. But buying an Exocet is purchasing a chassis and bodywork--you take delivery, you supply your own Miata and then your build your own car. These guys objective is to offer turnkey, running track cars for less money than any kit car on the market.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
8/11/14 12:26 p.m.
DanielCut wrote: I'd drive it. But I'm having a hard time seeing how it's street-legal.

It has at least one wheel touching the ground, therefore in Michigan it's street legal. Move to a decent State

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/11/14 12:32 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: So they're building an Exocet, minus the 'good looks'...

That is subjective. I find the exocet extremely ungainly but find this strangely attractive.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/11/14 12:49 p.m.

This is a form over function type deal. Take whatever is left of Miata that can't be removed. Add a cage and mount some lights front and rear and voila.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
8/11/14 12:54 p.m.

Very interesting idea. I am sure someone could come up with a decent fiberglass body you could bolt over that (without too much expense).

Adrian_Thompson
8/11/14 1:03 p.m.
nderwater wrote: PS - I'm already trying to picture one of these things with a modified baby-grand stock car body dropped over it.

Babay Grand wheel base is over a foot shorter than the Miata. 76.5" Vs 89.2" so it would look odd to say the least! Something could be figured out though

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/11/14 1:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
DanielCut wrote: I'd drive it. But I'm having a hard time seeing how it's street-legal.
It has at least one wheel touching the ground, therefore in Michigan it's street legal. Move to a decent State

Same in MN. If it sorta used to maybe be a car, or could pass for one on Nintendo, game on.

Adrian_Thompson
8/11/14 1:36 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Very interesting idea. I am sure someone could come up with a decent fiberglass body you could bolt over that (without too much expense).

How about a Miata body?

Will
Will SuperDork
8/11/14 1:40 p.m.

Is it possible to build things too light?

Yup.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/14 1:59 p.m.

^Maybe my sig doesn't cover everything...

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/11/14 2:11 p.m.
Will wrote: Is it possible to build things too light? Yup.

I adore the way the guy keeps steering.

mw
mw Dork
8/11/14 2:12 p.m.

The Miata in my profile pic wieghed 1650 and looked a fair bit better in my opinion. It could have been much lighter if I was willing to remove more weight off the rear. I assume the car pictured is pretty nose heavy. Mine was a little nose heavy and probably only had 30lbs more stuff in the front. It's a good way to make a cheap fast car, I was just ready to move onto something else.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/11/14 2:48 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Will wrote: Is it possible to build things too light? Yup.
I adore the way the guy keeps steering.

Like pilots always say, "keep trying to fly it until there's nothing left to fly."

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/11/14 2:53 p.m.

Needs bumpers, but otherwise awesome.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/11/14 3:25 p.m.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/11/14 3:26 p.m.

I think I like this better.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-twin-turbo-ls-powered-buggy-need-daily-driver/

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/11/14 4:29 p.m.

Weight doesn't have much effect on straight line speed. Of course it helps acceleration off the corner so you get there quicker.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/11/14 8:09 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Weight doesn't have much effect on straight line speed. Of course it helps acceleration off the corner so you get there quicker.

Weight is a big factor in acceleration all the way down the straight, at least until aero drag starts closing the envelope. Ever seen this classic Sport Compact Car article? Their Nissan Sentra ran an 8.6 sec to 0-60 mph baseline, then 5.8 sec 0-60 after gutting and cutting the car to the bone.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/11/14 8:13 p.m.

NY needs a windshield and a wiper. Otherwise as long as it has a cat and a clean working OBD II, it's good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yDhagVJhqfE4EYQ18Ef5eZ2t9CgXgJCUZZAqdDyvcPYVkt6JQJ0jVmFB70AyMf8b