1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/26/13 11:56 a.m.

Saw this on Jalopnik today... Made me wistful.

Lil' Red for sale

"Everything on the truck, from the inside, to under the hood and the exterior looks to be in amazing shape. The ad claims but 42,000 miles total and, owing to an oil change record, only 2,500 of that has been added in the last 25 years."

I had a '79 myself from 1989 to 1999 or so, when in desperation I sold it to my in-law's for needed cash with the intention to buy it back from them when things evened out. About a year later when I mentioned it to my (now ex) wife, she said they had sold it to someone else, and I never even got the chance to come up with the funds.

If I had the $19k asking price I would be researching plane tickets to IL and driving her home. It appears to be in amazing shape........

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/13 12:30 p.m.

IIRC, it was the fastest domestic automobile you could buy when it came out.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/13 12:38 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: IIRC, it was the fastest domestic automobile you could buy when it came out.

Yup. This is true.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/26/13 1:06 p.m.

My buddies mom completely restored one in FL. Passes everything but the gas station she says.

It got around the emmisions laws being a truck at the time and the 360 make decent power in them.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
3/26/13 1:10 p.m.

We put Atomic EFI on one at the last shop i worked at. It moved pretty good for something from 1980 but it wasnt totally stock.

I also drove a 1980 corvette that i did some work on at that shop, and to be fair the 1980 vette is a COMPLETE turd E36 M3box and saying the LRE is faster isnt saying much!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/26/13 1:18 p.m.

There used to be one of these near my house when I was a kid. It was awesome. Every time it passed the bus stop, we always did the "big rig" horn motion, and the guy would beep.

There is also one of these near my current house, but it's half in the woods and in deplorable condition.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/26/13 1:22 p.m.

I should have bought the one that was for sale when I was in high school. Guy wanted $5k for it and the only thing wrong with it was that in needed new bed wood.

I love LREs.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/26/13 1:45 p.m.

Mine around 1990 or '91. The paint needed regular color-restorer and waxing to stay decent, the wood needed refinishing, and the stacks were disconnected because the pipes inside were rusting and blowing crap on the back fenders, agitating the already-questionable paint.

I check eBay and car sites once in awhile to find another. They're never in as good a shape as this one seems to be. Sigh...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
3/26/13 2:44 p.m.

I've had one of those and a couple Warlocks. Dodge had their program together on these. Wish I still had them!

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/13 3:12 p.m.

No LRE, but my dad had an '80 SWB Dodge with the single round headlight grill when I was growing up. Factory color was Impact Blue. Man, it was pretty...I think those are the best looking old truck out there.

Woody
3/26/13 4:39 p.m.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/3583487272.html

Woody
3/26/13 4:40 p.m.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/3657787141.html

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/26/13 8:16 p.m.

I'm really surprised that Chrysler hasn't brought this thing back at some point. Maybe they have, but I haven't heard of it.

I, for one, woiuld love to see a base 4X2 short-bed HEMI with some stacks and red paint! How hard could it be? They went to the trouble of bringing out those clownish Super Bee trucks a few years back.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
3/26/13 8:29 p.m.

That Is a great idea^^

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
3/26/13 8:34 p.m.

When the '94 body style came out there was a dealership in Houston that had some short box trucks modified to narrow up the bed using dually fenders. They were decal-ed up to look like that and pretty decent looking trucks.

Never seen one since, and I have no idea how many total were made.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/13 8:54 p.m.

I agree.. if Chrysler can give us the new Challenger.. why not a new LRE? I bet they would sell quite well

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/26/13 9:04 p.m.

That's a wish list item.

I would personally love to go with a LRE "inspired" early ram(pre-94) powered by a viper spec V10. Either swap in an SRT 10 chassis, or build a custom tube frame job with every trick in the book.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/26/13 9:16 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I agree.. if Chrysler can give us the new Challenger.. why not a new LRE? I bet they would sell quite well

They kind of did, the SRT-10 rams a few years back. It may not have had the name, but in spirit, I guess. And those didn't even crack 10k units over 3 years.

Now, it seems the "hot" Ram would be either the exspress or the R/T, both with the hemi.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
3/26/13 11:55 p.m.

If anyone has mad painting skills I do have an '86 short step-side Dodge I inherited from my Dad and his RV has a 440/727 that's an oil pan and a set of headers away from a drop in...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/27/13 6:40 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I agree.. if Chrysler can give us the new Challenger.. why not a new LRE? I bet they would sell quite well

Dodge didn't, but Mr. Norms did.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/27/13 7:36 a.m.

IIRC the LRE could just about dip into the high 14s in the 1/4 miles, if driven well. I think officially it was in the low/mid 15s. Considering this is a truck, that is not too bad.

It made over 200 Net HP (245 IIRC). Again, that is not too bad. It was almost a decade before ANY domestic V8s were making that kind of power. Heck, that would have been respectable power through the 1990s.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/27/13 8:46 a.m.

This also happened...

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/13 11:34 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:

Not quite as cool as an original but still very very cool

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/27/13 11:53 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:

Saw a similar one at SEMA last year with a Banks kit on a Cummins. Pretty neat.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/27/13 12:44 p.m.

I wish they still made a step-side.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JE8F9kOPuLiXgo5fotfA8Nr2cO8Nb0MHscnnI7r7giXaokIaeg6cPeECz9IeOGRG