1 2 3
mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
3/27/13 2:29 p.m.

My PE teacher in elementry school had one or knock-off that looked like one to a 6yr old. I never forgot about it.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
3/27/13 3:21 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: This also happened...

That was a quasi factory effort - more detail here - http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-dodge-li%E2%80%99l-red-express-%E2%80%93-dodge-dakota-edition/

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/13 3:33 p.m.
Moparman wrote: I wish they still made a step-side.

I think one of the last stepsides was the Ranger sport?

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
3/27/13 3:58 p.m.

And it was probably about as fast. But at that point the fact that a regular dakota was about as fast as an automatic mustang GT was not such a big deal i guess.

mtownneon
mtownneon New Reader
3/27/13 6:02 p.m.

I agree.. if Chrysler can give us the new Challenger.. why not a new LRE? I bet they would sell quite well

In a way they do now, it's called the Ram Express and it's available pkg on 1500 series trucks. The Express pkg gives you a 395 hp 5.7 Hemi, HD suspension, 3.90 gear, 20" wheels, dual exhaust with cutout rear bumper and bright tips, and body color bumpers and grille.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
3/27/13 6:29 p.m.

Gearz did a spot on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZu1QOuaUHs

fast forward to 1:58

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/27/13 6:35 p.m.

Before I bought my current DD, I considered the new Ram Express. It's quite the package for the money. Only issue is that up here in the Northeast, if I was to get a truck to drive every day, it would be better to get a 4x4. That added like $3-4K to the price.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
3/27/13 6:42 p.m.

The first year of the SRT-10 was awesome. Standard cab, short bed, manual, V10. After that it was lame, crew cab with an auto. They should have kept the truck a single cab with the manual. Hell, they should do it again. Yes, it will be terrifying to have 600hp in the truck and most of the owners will die in them, but I still think it should be built.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/27/13 6:42 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
And it was probably about as fast. But at that point the fact that a regular dakota was about as fast as an automatic mustang GT was not such a big deal i guess.

A friend had a 90's Dodge Dakota short bed 2WD with a 318/5-speed, and it was pretty quick. Cool truck.

Another friend and member of the Team External Combustion family has a 1972 D100 short bed with a 440 that he swapped in with a 4 speed. It's my favorite truck of all time! It is an absolute brute and has that old farm truck look. Here's a pic at New England Dragway in the pits a few years ago:

Side note: that S10 on the left is currently awaiting a 5.3 V8/T56 swap.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
3/27/13 8:32 p.m.

The '78 Lil Red was the faster of the two. In '79 the trucks got cats and weren't as quick.

There are a couple Lil Reds in our local Mopar club, and a local guy that's the original owner of another one. I looked at one that was a complete basket case a few years ago. Wasn't much truck left, and only the stack covers were left from all the Lil Red parts. I took a pass.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
3/27/13 10:10 p.m.
Moparman wrote: IIRC the LRE could just about dip into the high 14s in the 1/4 miles, if driven well. I think officially it was in the low/mid 15s. Considering this is a truck, that is not too bad. It made over 200 Net HP (245 IIRC). Again, that is not too bad. It was almost a decade before ANY domestic V8s were making that kind of power. Heck, that would have been respectable power through the 1990s.

they were able to exist because of loopholes in the emissions code that exempted light duty trucks from the need to have catalytic converters.. that, and less stringent emissions standards for those trucks allowed Dodge to put their best heads and a 340 six pack cam in a 360 with not enough compression and back it up with a decent flowing exhaust and put it in the lightest truck they sold at the time that a V8 could fit into- a 2wd step side short box.. throw some outlandish side pipes used as stacks and the obligatory sticker on the door (it was, after all, the late 70's), and they found the recipe for a legend..

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
3/28/13 11:18 a.m.
The first year of the SRT-10 was awesome. Standard cab, short bed, manual, V10. After that it was lame, crew cab with an auto. They should have kept the truck a single cab with the manual.

They didnt switch body styles. In 2005 and 2006 you could get either body style. If i were to buy one id buy the Quad Cab.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/13 12:19 p.m.

Wasn't there a whole series of trucks akin to the Li'l Red Wagon?

I remember the Warlock, and I can't help thinking there were others...

Totally not my area of expertise. For all I know the Warlock spec was just "black, with gold pinstripes..."

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
3/28/13 9:58 p.m.
ransom wrote: Wasn't there a whole series of trucks akin to the Li'l Red Wagon? I remember the Warlock, and I can't help thinking there were others... Totally not my area of expertise. For all I know the Warlock spec was just "black, with gold pinstripes..."

Also available in green and I had an orange one. There was also a "Silver Series" that I owned that was a pretty rare version that was silver with black striping.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/13 8:26 p.m.

My buddies MOTHER'S truck that SHE restored a few years back. Probably the nicest Lil Red I've ever seen. She's an awesome lady.

A few weeks ago:

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/29/13 10:37 p.m.

Nice truck.. but most hideous wheel choice ive seen in a long time.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/13 12:20 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I'd probably pick something besides those Centerlines, but ever since the B.C. Rich/H.R. Giger school of wheel design really got rolling (so to speak), I'm willing to cut them some slack...

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/30/13 7:46 a.m.

Neighbor has a '76 Warlock, but I have no idea what they are.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
4/30/13 8:00 a.m.

There's a nice driver LRE across the street from me. For a while it was under a cover in the driveway, but now it may be in the garage. Guy also has what looks to be a plain-jane notchback Fiero in solid shape - don't know if there are any underhood shennanigans there or not.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/30/13 8:03 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Neighbor has a '76 Warlock, but I have no idea what they are.

I think it is just a sticker package for a standard Dodge pickup.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/13 8:06 a.m.

Yeah, nice truck, but even chrome wagon wheels would be a better choice.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
4/30/13 8:08 a.m.

I'm not offended by the Centerlines - they're fairly period-correct. Chrome Cragars would maybe be better.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
4/30/13 8:19 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

The Warlock was a trim package that could be had on the stepside Adventurer line of trucks. Could be had on 2WD or 4WD. Any of the available engines could be had. I haven't seen one with a slant six, but I have seen everything from 318's through 440's.

Most were black with the gold pinstriping, but other colors were available. I've seen a dark brown metallic and red ones. All with gold pinstriping.

I think Warlock production ran from '74 through '79. They were part of the "Adult Toys" line of Dodge trucks in the '70's.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/30/13 8:31 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

It's more than that, it is similar to the LRET. But it has no stacks, came in 4 to 6 colors depending on year, had more than one engine choice, and could be had in a 4x4 guise. It also came with special wheels and certain options.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/30/13 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

Damn beat me to it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6dXTLsyoChxr3Dhg9zrQvtBTfCGgUos2HzXm7sikTh5BemXJb2lonZcSTjvtpCvk