1 2 3
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/19 10:52 a.m.

Re: Athens

Atlanta Dragway is also within 30 minutes if you care to dabble in the straight and narrow.

mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
1/18/19 12:20 p.m.
JBasham said:

Retirement relocation looms slightly below the horizon. 

My wife, the most wonderful woman in the world, is a native urbanite who treasures the finer things in life.  We are on the fence about de-metropolitanizing the homestead. 

About the farthest down the spectrum I could move her would be a nice university town.  At least, it's a good point of entry, because she still keeps talking about sunny, traffic-clogged places, and I've been there, done that, not going back.

1.  Charlottesville, VA.  VIR, 2.5 hours away, Summit Point 2.5 hours away, Dominion 1.25 hours away.

I would value your additional suggestions!

Harrisonburg VA - JMU, close to all of the above but more rural also Blacksburg VA -VT. Nice little down towns, culture and community of major university, but 5 miles out town is rural..........Also both places cheaper than Charlottesville area.  Good Luck. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/18/19 12:34 p.m.

How about Western MA - something like Springfield? Then you have Palmer, Thompson, and Lime Rock within 1.5 hours, NHMS is 2.5, and Watkins Glen is ~4.5. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/18/19 12:34 p.m.

Saskatoon. Good university, good technical college, Castrol Speedway in Edmonton is six hours west, Gimli is eight hours east.  That's near enough, right?frown

It was -31 this morning, but it's a dry cold.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 12:53 p.m.

Winchester VA has a university, 25-30 minutes to Summit Point and about an hour to IAD, a bit more into DC proper. Bit of a trek to VIR though. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/18/19 12:54 p.m.

Haven't seen Denver get thrown out yet.  I'd call it a College City as there's DU, CU Denver, ACC, etc, etc.  There are 3 tracks within 2 hours of me, High Plains, Pikes Peak Int'l and Pueblo Motorsports Park. 

Being a city, there's everything your wife would care to do, plus a large international airport, all the major sports teams and great outdoor activities.  Plus an average of 300 days of sun a year.

You'll have to upgrade your cooling system on your track car tho!  LOL!

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/18/19 1:23 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Can confirm. I live in Glasgow and work in BG. Plan on relocating to BG at some point in the not to distant future. 

Groats
Groats New Reader
1/18/19 1:23 p.m.

Gainesville, FL is a nice, but growing college town.  It offers good medical and has a small airport so you can go places.  Housing there didn't seem all that cheap, but you could probably move out a bit to mitigate that.  Plus no income tax and good gun laws.

Vancouver, WA also is supposed to have cheaper housing than Portland and no income tax (there's a trend here).  Plus the PNW is a beautiful place to live.  Some of the super liberal people they keep electing might drive you crazy though.  That alone would keep me out of Oregon.  But Vancouver offers a nice alternative and avoids the crazy taxes that King County (Seattle) shoves down everyone's throats.

I really like the idea of prioritizing track time for retirement but I'd also want to make sure you have good medical care and access to an airport nearby.

My retirement fantasy is to put everything in storage, get an RV, tow something fun and drive around the country.  Take a few years to do it, maybe drive on all the tracks and then decide what part of the country is best to live in.  Sounds like your wife unit might not be onboard with that though.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/18/19 2:26 p.m.

Nothing in N.Georgia Is FAR from Culture Lol But everything Is an Hour Away.

Look an Hour North of Atlanta maybe up 400 Then Road Atl. is 30 min. east and AMP is 30 min.west.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/19 2:27 p.m.

In reply to dclafleur :

I believe that track in Anna will open the same day the Horns win a national title in Football. This is the same investment group that has talked about open a track or reviving TWS for almost 6 years now. 

To the OP.

Colorado Springs. 3 Colleges in town. 3 Tracks within 2 hours. PPIR, High Plains, and Pueblo Motorsports. Also some rallycross about an hour and a half away. Oh and the host a little hill climb here too you may have heard of. Pikes Peak IHC. 

It also is less than an hour from Denver with all it has to offer but isn't as traffic clogged as Denver is. I know I live here and work there.  It is a bit of a red city though. Heavy military investment here with an Army and Air Force base and of course the Air Force Academy. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/19 2:36 p.m.

I'll put in a plug for Albuquerque.  We've got Sandia Speedway right here.  PPIR, High Plains, Arroyo Seco Raceway and Pueblo Motorsports are all within an easy days drive.  To me the best thing about Sandia is that we race there all year round.  I'm running a Spec. Miata race a week from Sunday.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/18/19 2:51 p.m.

Bloomington Indiana, home of IU. It's an hour from Putnam Park, and an hour from Indianapolis and everything that entails (fantastic airport, culture stuff for the Mrs, for you there are sporting events, and INdianapolis Motor Speedway, Lucas Oil Raceway Park, a couple of nice karting tracks and the Speedrome for your roundly-round/demo derby crowd which is less revered, but no less fun than the others). There are a bunch of circle tracks (dirt and asphalt) within 2 hours too. Not aware of any autocross action in Bloomington, but the Southern Indiana SCCA group runs in Columbus about an hour East of Bloomington.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
1/18/19 3:08 p.m.

Chico California is less than an hour from Thunderhill. It's about 2.5 to 3 hours to Sonoma (AKA Sears Point) depending on traffic. Laguna Seca is a bit of haul from there but still less than a day away. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/18/19 3:25 p.m.

Champaign- Urbana IL has the University of Illinois, which is a pretty massive college.  Nothing is super close, but Indianapolis is less than 2 hours away, Autobahn CC is 2.5 hours away, Road America about 4 hours away and Gateway is also an easy day's drive.  It's also not too terribly far from the Corvette Museum's track  in Bowling Green KY.  

Champaign is pretty isolated, which is good, or bad depending on your point of view.  Spring Summer and Fall are beautiful.  Winter sucks.....badly.   Plenty of culture / music comes into town because of U of I.   

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/19 6:31 p.m.

Chico's a good one, so's Davis, CA - a short run to Sears Point and Thunderhill. Not too far from laguna Seca. A good Kart track within city limits, and ORV areas not far away. To keep wifey happy, San Francisco is just down the road. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/19 6:43 p.m.
Kreb said:

Chico's a good one, so's Davis, CA - a short run to Sears Point and Thunderhill. Not too far from laguna Seca. A good Kart track within city limits, and ORV areas not far away. To keep wifey happy, San Francisco is just down the road. 

Santa Rosa?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/19 6:53 p.m.
codrus said:
Kreb said:

Santa Rosa?

Doesn't Santa Rosa have a nasty housing shortage?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/18/19 6:55 p.m.

Orlando. FSU....and take your pick of tracks. Sebring,Daytona, Orlando speed world, the firm...the list is endless. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
1/18/19 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

I wouldn't really call Santa Rosa a "college town" the way Chico or Davis are (both really good options btw), but it's a nice place. Prices are pretty high though, probably more so than Chico and maybe Davis.

I think Madison is a good option if you can stomach the winters. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/19 7:47 p.m.
Kreb said:
codrus said:
Kreb said:

Santa Rosa?

Doesn't Santa Rosa have a nasty housing shortage?

That's California 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/19 7:48 p.m.

Move to San Marcos. Near COTA and midway between Austin and San Antonio.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 7:54 p.m.
JBasham said:

Retirement relocation looms slightly below the horizon. 

My wife, the most wonderful woman in the world, is a native urbanite who treasures the finer things in life.  We are on the fence about de-metropolitanizing the homestead. 

About the farthest down the spectrum I could move her would be a nice university town.  At least, it's a good point of entry, because she still keeps talking about sunny, traffic-clogged places, and I've been there, done that, not going back.

1.  Charlottesville, VA.  VIR, 2.5 hours away, Summit Point 2.5 hours away, Dominion 1.25 hours away.

I would value your additional suggestions!

Ohio is a berking awesome place if you are into college towns and motorsports.  We have Mid-berking-Ohio, and also Nelson Ledges if you are thrifty and don't mind mosquitoes and/or peeing into a trough.  We have "Summit" (Norwalk, it will always be Norwalk to me) Raceway Park, we have Thompson, we have Dragway 42, we have National Trails, if you are of the quarter mile inclination.  (Incidentally, Summit Racing's home is in Akron-ish, in Summit County - it's not just a clever name).  I think it is in the state's Constitution that every county must have a circle track of some kind.  Half of the civilized world's automotive aftermarket is based in Cleveland.   Ohio also has more rallycrossers who don't suck than any other SCCA region, if you want to talk about real "grass roots" motorsports.

Oh and Ohio has something like the highest number of colleges per capita, or some such thing.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/18/19 8:28 p.m.

I'll put in $.02 for Columbia, MO.  We've got Gateway 2 hours east at St. Louis, Topeka 3 hours west, Mid-America 4 hours NW, Newton IA 5 hours north, Blackhawk 6 hours Northeast, Hallett six hours SW.  I know it's not 2.5 hours like you asked, but it's not bad.  Those are the only roadracing venues I know of.  If you're into dirt ovals then there are a BUNCH more.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/18/19 8:41 p.m.

Is anyone on here in Davis? I currently live here- good access to thunder hill and Sears Point. 2.5 give or take to Laguna. Kart track in town. Expensive to live compared to damn near anywhere else in the country. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/19 10:44 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Orlando. FSU....and take your pick of tracks. Sebring,Daytona, Orlando speed world, the firm...the list is endless. 

FSU is 4 hours northwest in Tallahassee. Orlando has UCF and some others. Horrendous traffic though. 

I have in-laws in Deland, sounds like exactly what y’all are looking for. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b280wYG1zrEXQmDZGDpI53m1LJkiHbEJKhI75JjmpVY8Njl9GUIQ79BkTWLH9gQC