1 2 3
docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/19/19 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I went to school in Cleveland.  You couldn't pay me enough to live in that state again.  Yeah, Mid Ohio is awesome and Nelson's has its charm but what about the other 355+ days a year I'm not at the track?  Then I'm stuck in Ohio.  More power to you guys that live there, not for me!

klb67
klb67 Reader
1/19/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Don't forget Pittsburgh International Race Complex is 1.5 hours from Cleveland and 3 hours from Columbus, with 2 road courses (1.6 miles and 1.2 miles) and a karting facility.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/19/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Not that I don’t think Ohio has its problems, but Columbus is about as different from Cleveland as Miami is from Jacksonville. Totally different cities that just happen to share a state. 

I grew up in Florida and Ohio is my home. I’ve lived in a lot of places and there’s nothing exceptional about Ohio’s problems. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/19/19 5:41 p.m.

Atlanta traffic isn’t bad if you don’t have to get to work. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
1/19/19 6:21 p.m.

I’ll join dculberson on the Columbus suggestion. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/19/19 6:28 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Until you get 1/4" of ice or snow.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/19/19 6:56 p.m.
grover said:
Mndsm said:

Orlando. FSU....and take your pick of tracks. Sebring,Daytona, Orlando speed world, the firm...the list is endless. 

FSU is 4 hours northwest in Tallahassee. Orlando has UCF and some others. Horrendous traffic though. 

I have in-laws in Deland, sounds like exactly what y’all are looking for. 

I meant UCF. I'm bad at college. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/19/19 8:22 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
poopshovel again said:

Until you get 1/4" of ice or snow.  

In which case you sit on the couch eating milk sandwiches...OH GOD! YOU FORGOT YOUR MILK SANDWICHES!? YOU’RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIE!!!!!

JimS
JimS Reader
1/20/19 1:21 a.m.

I retired to triangle area of NC. Less than hour from UNC, Duke, NC State. Maybe 2 hours to Elon or Wake Forest. About an hour from VIR. Four hours to Summit Point. Never been to CMP but I think it's fairly close. But the best thing is that almost every road in the state is sports-car road. Also the weather is mild in the winter for the most part. 

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/19 7:35 a.m.

My hometown meets your criteria.   Of course there is an International border involved, but I am three hours or less from five great tracks, great sailing and boating, and lots of lakes for a summer cottage.  

Winter sucks.  But if you are retired that’s the time to travel, right?

Kingston, ON

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/19 8:40 a.m.

Pittsburgh pa?

We got pitt race, Nelson ledges, pocono...

Pitt, Duquesne, Chatham, and about 12 other colleges in Pittsburgh.

Turning into a tech town over the last few years.

The cold and rain suck, but other than that it's a pretty cool small city.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
1/22/19 5:01 p.m.

Thanks for your help everybody, there are lots to think about here, even some towns I already know I like, but I didn't know they had tracks.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/19 11:06 p.m.

Denton, TX

Home of UNT and Texas Womens. And a train ride from Dallas. 

30 minutes from eagles canyon raceway, 

90 minutes from MSR Cresson

4 hours from COTA and Hallet

5 from MSR Houston. 

Upsides are low cost of living and no state income tax on top of that. 

Also,

Under 90 minutes from LG's facilities in Anna if their track does actually happen. 

Texas Motor Speedway is also under 20 minutes from Denton, but not run much due to safer barriers having to move. 

jmackk
jmackk New Reader
1/30/19 9:36 a.m.

Evansville, Indiana has the University of Evansville and University of Southern Indiana

Puts you ~2-3 hours from Putnam Park, NCM, Gateway Motorsports Park, Indy, and Nashville Super Speedway. A few hours more gets you to Autobahn, GingerMan, Mid-O, Barber, and Memphis International Raceway. Plenty of dirt ovals within a couple hours' drive with some paved ovals and figure 8's scattered about as well. Plenty of drag strips around too.

Biggest downside: we get passed by a lot. You get used to the drive to Indy, STL, or Nashville to catch most concerts or other entertainment and events. On the other hand, it's not super cramped or crowded here like the surrounding bigger cities. Pretty decent bar and restaurant selection for the size. Cost of living is pretty dang cheap too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YY9FEYYUkF91IyOIO5glfxxKudOzzv3yHSBB00xuEXM5yTIbz2ne5xT1FbbyrIQS