Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/21/20 10:34 a.m.
feature_image

Following in the footsteps of the electric Mustang Cobra Jet 1400, Ford has teamed up with Mustang aftermarket parts builder RTR Vehicles to build the Mustang Mach-E 1400.

Ford says that this one-off, highly modified Mach-E is "designed to challenge perceptions of what electric vehicles can do with performance tuning and advanced technology." Based on some of the numbers …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/20 10:53 a.m.

So, basically, it sounds like a Transformer--well, minus the transforming noises. (And, dang, it looks impressive.)

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 11:09 a.m.

It's like somebody took an anti-shrink-ray to a new brushless R/C car. That looks wild!

STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/21/20 11:11 a.m.

Raw video of this thing testing if you want to hear it without any background music or noise from other cars:

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/21/20 11:15 a.m.

Funny that they decided to keep the touch screen controller in the interior.  

As cool as that picture is, I'd choose any of those V8 Mustangs over the MachE every time.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 11:32 a.m.

I get it, it is sacrilege to call it a Mustang, but its a damn cool vehicle nonetheless. And Ken Block continues to have the coolest job ever.

Wow, that sounds like E36 M3. 

I hope the production version doesn't sound like that. It's bad enough listening to the straight piped GTs around here. That is infinitely worse. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/21/20 12:30 p.m.

I watched some of the video, but my ears were begging for mercy, do I stopped it. 

My two thoughts:

• That's a crazy amount of performance.
  • I had forgotten that the Mach E was not really a Mustang at all. 
  • That sound is horrendous and I hope to never hear it again. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/21/20 12:51 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Wow, that sounds like E36 M3. 

I hope the production version doesn't sound like that. It's bad enough listening to the straight piped GTs around here. That is infinitely worse. 

I'd be shocked if the production version is anywhere as loud as this. This one has 7 electric motors (Can be 100% FWD, 100% RWD, or 50/50 AWD). The production car has 1 or two motors depending on trim level and a few hundred more lbs of sound deadening and window glass. Obviously the concern for NVH is much higher on a production car too.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/21/20 1:33 p.m.

Yeah, the sound is a bit much, but it's pretty dang impressive performance-wise. And, I've said it before and I'll say it again: wide fenders and racing parts can make any car cool.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
7/21/20 2:04 p.m.

I am simultaneously excited about the future of electric....and fearful of a world populated by angry dental drills screaming by at eleventy-billion RPM.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/21/20 3:31 p.m.
STM317 said:

Raw video of this thing testing if you want to hear it without any background music or noise from other cars:

Yes, that first video had so much extra sound added it was hard to tell what was what.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 5:10 p.m.

Damn.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/21/20 10:15 p.m.

I had a long rant here, but erased it.

I'll just say no thanks....

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/20 10:28 p.m.
Rotaryracer said:

I am simultaneously excited about the future of electric....and fearful of a world populated by angry dental drills screaming by at eleventy-billion RPM.

...and coming from someone named "Rotaryracer", that's saying something. As I've heard an uncorked rotary at redline. 

While I can appreciate the power potential of EVs, I don't know if that is the #1 factor for me.  And since I may never have a regular commute again, I don't know if I want an EV at all now.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/22/20 6:30 a.m.

It's not a Mustang. No matter about the grille emblem. And I don't care how good it performs. Ford is really screwing the pooch with the branding.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/22/20 6:45 a.m.

That noise is absolutely terrible. Especially when there is a bunch of awesome V8 noises to compare to in the video. The race car version styling is a little better, but still not a fan. And, slapping the Mustang name on it was dumb.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/22/20 9:20 a.m.

Okay, I gave it about 15 seconds of my time and decided Chinese water torture was more fun. I put this in the same category as all Harleys with straight pipes (loud pipes save live, my a**) and all Mustangs with same, pain in the ears and southward. 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
7/22/20 9:40 a.m.

As someone who has owned a variety of uncorked bikes and cars, anything pushed a little too far has the possibility of pushing past delight into "wow I hate this."

I honestly love the sound and look forward to when I have a vehicle of my own that makes delightfully angry veloceraptor-wasp screams.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/20 2:55 p.m.

Just think of it as supercharger whine. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/20 5:04 p.m.

I hate they called it a mustang.  That is my only complaint.  I look forwards to our electron overlords

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZcYO3X2buduh65G1squ1nyWItu4Ufi3XNglcCaF56xeYSE5wcylQs7CGBgPNGRYA